Home General Discussion

AAArgh! US based Ebay sellers!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
The rest of the world DOES exist you know! On ebay.co.uk most items for sale will be sent anywhere. Sometimes the seller doesn't put worldwide delivery, but when you ask they say "oops! Sorry, yeah - pay for delivery and I'll send it".

I've been trying to buy another fancy dress outfit, and so many US sellers won't ship worldwide. Some didn't bother to reply when I emailed them to enquire, some refused point blank. One guy was selling surplus police shirts, but wouldnt sell to me because I wasn't an American. If I had been an american living abroad however he said he would have posted it.

I don't see the problem - if the buyer is paying for shipping there is nothing different.

Replies

• Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    probably just the conservatives in the midwest who are convinced the terrorists are going to bomb their corn fields...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Nice non-sequitur, Voodoo. I'd hate to see a chance for a little unnecessary politicizing of a thread get away from us. Couldn't be that the seller is just a dickhead or anything...
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! though it was a joke vermillion, I'm sorry I didn't make that apparent enough. American decided but that doesn't mean I cant poke fun at it right? And I think what you said is probably a fact. More and more americans are becomming dickheads. What happend to neighbors helping neighbors?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, hard to tell sometimes laugh.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    What is Mr. Sterling Looking for, exctly? There are sources other than EBay. Technically it's against the TOS to sell Police Badges (not uniforms), and Certain military items via Ebay. I just got flak armour and two police shirts through Ebay.

You may want to get a U.S. based Postal Forwarding service, as they are available (mostly for small businesses). There may be customs problems for shipping anything other than clothing, internationally. Some folks may be scared of damaging their Ebay rating, by having shipments stopped or incurring unknown added fees and expenses being shipped overseas as well.

Scott

Scott
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    we;re just too lazy to go out to the mail office, tell them that we want to send something overseas, etc. i actually have no idea how to go about selling stuff overseas.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah internet not so good at relating sarcasim. =) I still think you're right and that americans' attitudes and general outlook are going down the shitter
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll help you out if you need, Rick. I've got friends in the UK I send stuff to from time to time and don't object to arranging overseas shipping. I'm a reputable dealer, too - you can ask Frosty grin.gif (eBay feedback available as well, of course). Let me know, etc, I'd be happy to assist.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this instancce, Mr StIrling was after items to make a rural US police uniform. Hat, badges, shirt etc - things that are hard to find in the UK. A sheriffs badge was easy, as were the arm patches. I thought they would be hard to track down. The things that were giving me difficulty were shirts and trousers with piping.

I emailed a guy:

"I notice that you have police shirts for sale, but all say US shipping only. Usually this is an oversight on the part of many US sellers - I take it you will ship worldwide as long as the buyer meets the postage costs?"

"I did'nt thing that our police uniforms are with in worldwide police uniform specification. Are you an police officer ? "

After figurig out he meant 'within', I mailed him to say that I wasn't. Neither was he, and he was not an outfitters. He just had a couple for sale along with other junk. He never replied.

One guy wouldn't sell me a cowboy hat. One woman wouldn't ship a boy scouts leader shirt (perfect to made into a cop shirt) because she didn't know how to send things outside the US.

...and to top it off, from about 6 months ago one guy wouldn't sell me his Cerberus the Aardvark book because he didn't know if it was legal to sell learning materials outside the US. It was a comic...

Those are all silly things, whereas some ebayers are sensible enough that if you pay for the item and the postage, they will send it. My PC memory is from the states, my smart media card is from the states, I have several Region 1 DVDs from the states. And the postage isn't even that much more.

I've sent stuff to the states, to Belgium, Germany and South africa before - as long as they pay the postage.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah internet not so good at relating sarcasim. =) I still think you're right and that americans' attitudes and general outlook are going down the shitter

[/ QUOTE ]

**warning this post contains some Bush bashing**
    Lets not turn this into a US vs THE WORLD thread, lets try hard to stick on target, even if I toss out some juicy chunks of meat.

Yup our country is going down the crapper, places are closing down left and right, jobs are going outside our boarders. Which means for those jobs that are left we are going to be paid less, with less benifits and less time off. Our president seems more conserned with pissing off the international community by trying to turn the US into the world cop. Than he is doing anything about keeping the American public employed. Tack on the fear of terrorism and the added pressure that our once ally relationships are now under much strain, and the citizens of those countries pretty much hate the US and its citizens. Most people in the US are still afraid to go to Europe for vaction. They are scared the second you open your mouth you will get either gang raped, beaten, or just plain charged insane prices. I would say that mixes for a "screw you foreign guy" attitude. Not all of the US based Ebay'ers are evil, some are just scared and stupid. In fact I would say the same % of people that voted for Bush would more than likely equal the same amount of small minded ignorant pricks on ebay. Just a guess.

Not saying it is right. Because it is a small minded/lazy person that won't ship outside the US. I bet the guy is a big Bush fan. And figued you would wear the shirt while making a nuclear bomb. Like I said, small minded prick...

I feel for ya rick that blows, and if you get a chance to ever put that on his record I would. You wouldn't happen to have his email would ya? I wouldn't mind tossin a little "you dumb ass" email his way. grin.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay......

BUSH: My Administration is promoting free and fair trade, to open up new markets for America 's entrepreneurs, and manufacturers, and farmers, and to create jobs for America 's workers.

...back on the subject, I found a really nice woman who I missed an item with, I contacted her, not only would she ship, but it was easy for her to get another item. Its nice to meet people like that.

So I've got:

7f_1_b.JPG

And

57_1.JPG

And I got a grey shirt from Tescos for 4 quid, some brown dye, so the top is sorted. The woman wil send the trousers, all I need is a cowboy hat.

Then I found things like:

'Item location: Patriot! Go USA!'

'No international shipping. 100% Satisfaction is our goal.'

'Will not ship outsie the US of A!' (yes, thats the spelling)

'Winning bidder to add $8.00 for shipping and Handling to the winning bid in the U.S.A. Only'
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can't you get a cowboy hat from a local store?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, hat isn't a problem.

but I did just get another email, from a guy I had wanted to buy a police shirt from:

'If you restrict usage within party, not to use any criminal intention, I am willing.'

"If I was going to use it from criminal activites, I'd hardly tell you, would I? "
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Why not get the shirts from a Uniform distributor, or manufacturer? Most Companies, rahter han individuals, will ship overseas. Fake a "production company" letterhead, and fax in an order, saying you need this for a small BBC drama. Most will be glad to help. What you are looking for are "Flying Cross" brand "Duty Shirts", and if you want "southerner" you want short sleaves. You probably want them in Khaki, with either Khaki or green trousers with a gold stripe and green pocket flaps. You will also need a Duty Belt, for the gear. and those are kind of expensive, but I know where to get used ones. Municipal police generally have "Nickel Silver" metal bits on the belt, (snaps and hooks) whereas County Agencies t3end towards gold snaps and a hooks. Brown Leather is rarely used, except by a few Southwestern agencies.

Scott
  • n00dles
  • AfroLeft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    You would think it would be kinda hard to impersonate a police officer when dressed like one from a completely different country.

Oh, dont forget the mirror sunglasses if you go for the sheriff look.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm ... looking at the calander I see that Halloween passed almost a month ago ... me thinks Rick is looking to live out some kinky fantasy role-play stuff. Naughty, naughty wink.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    hehehe, nice astro :P

I have trouble getting lenses shipped to Canada. I don't think the trend on ebay to ship abroad is cultural or politically influenced.

I didn't like shipping to Canada when I'm selling on eBay from the U.S. even though I'm 'from' Canada cuz it's more of a hassle. I have to fill out a customs form and I also have to figure out what the price is to ship to this guy when iI 'know' I can just as easily avoid all that extra work and sell it to an American. When you sell tons of stuff on eBay little things like that make the expierence tedious, especially when you know it's not anymore profitable to widen your market when the majority of your customers are American in the first place (well, mine anyways)

-R
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Usually this is an oversight on the part of many US sellers - I take it you will ship worldwide as long as the buyer meets the postage costs?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that it's usually an oversight. There's more of a hassle as the sender of an item if they need to send anything overseas anymore. Customs opens the package and it can take anywhere 2-6 weeks for delivery. It's messy and it's also something you can't really plan for when using ebay, because you have to put the cost of shipping in the listing usually. It's easy to guess the approximate shipping from one side of the country to the other. Usually, they even specify continental US only. So, Alaska and Hawaii are left out as well as yourself.

It's not that Americans are dickheads, they just can't be arsed with getting put out by spending an extra 10 minutes by having to stand in line to mail something out when they could drop it in the bin for a couple bucks postage.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, guess Pak said the same thing. laugh.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Oh the relaxing and almost euphoric feeling of winning your bids on EBay is nice.
    The feeling of frustration and irritation of some of the issue there is very disturbing & obstinate.

I recently sold some games at a local consignment/thrift store, the first store I checked with the Lady got hostile when I told her they were video games, like what kind, I will need to approve them and who are you? I promptly told her thank you and hung up. The other store was cool and the Lady had no qualms or Soccer Mom mentality. Nice. : )

People are weird and currently the American public is taking to the food troughs of fear and insecurity. I am not worried about traveling abroad because I will never afford to, but some are very afraid, even if they voted Kerry, because they are Americans!

Rick sorry to hear of your woes, to be honest with you, if I sold uniforms and you requested a police style, in all sincerity, even as stupid as it sounds, I would ask what your plans were just out of curiosity. Of course if you had plans for a crime spree or armoured car hold up, you would not disclose this to me, I would assume you were costume designing or into something kinky. Real stupid people could assuem since your in the UK your associated with the IRA or something wacko, dumb folks begat dumb folks. imho.

Hey Rick woot is me, I just won karnaaj rally, street fighter alpha, asteroids for GBA and have a really big bid in on a 9800 ati pro silent card. I just don’t get why everyone ends the bidding process on a Saturday or Sunday when I can resubmit a bid. : (

Vermilion is the best Vendor yet! I am still enjoying that game beyond belief!