Home Technical Talk

VFX Work on Game Demo Reel?

Bree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bree polycounter lvl 18
My Question to you: Should I include film/VFX work on a demo reel when applying for game work (not cinematic)?

Please let me explain: I just finished my demo reels. I say reels because there is 3 of them, one for game work, one for film work and one for design work. I have spent the majority of my career working on television and film, with my games experience limited to creating art/anim for MODs and hobby games.

After looking at the reels, I realized that because most time has been spent working on film, that the Film reel is by far the strongest, so, what do you think? Should I put the film work in with the games work, or have 2 seperate reels, or, just go with games reel?

Any thoughts advice would be great smile.gif I will post up the reels as soon as I can scale them down to web friendly sizes and upload them to my server.

thanks,

Bree

Replies

• avalean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avalean polycounter lvl 18
    You should always show a company your strongest side, even though its not directly focused onto what they are looking for. If it show's you have artistic skills or a creative mind then it can never hurt.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    If it's good, show it. Game companies do need people to do high polygon modeling, logos and particle effects, so this tpe of stuff is totally applicable. Just be sure to show some good low polygon stuff, game texture decal sheets, and other game-specific style work as well, just to demonstrate that you can do it.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I agree. If stuff is impressive, it doesn't matter what it was done for. I know someone in a similar situation where a lot of his reel was VFX work, and he's now working for EA in Los Angeles. Oh wait, maybe that's not such a good thing after all. smile.gif
  • Bree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bree polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the replies guys smile.gif One of my VFX co-workers was also hired on at EA Vancouver, and he had no lo poly work, but I guess it depends on what department you are applying for.

Will get that thing cut together today and uploaded - you can let me know what you think smile.gif

thanks again,

Bree