Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gargoyle - Hipoly Silo1.3 model

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
Hi! Testing new vesion of Silo (1.3)- Started with my male base mesh object, and modified it a bit...

20041113_gargoyle_01.jpg

- Wing is currently a bit "out of use" as i didn't want to block view while modeling in Silo... will add wing membrane later, if i have time to finish this one...

CnC welcome!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting a more Devil Vibe from him rather than Gargoyle. It might be the color, tail, and horns that does it.

Great Stuff though, but I suggest you make the wings much bigger, as I doubt those tiny things could lift that hulk
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe good stuff so far. I do agree on the whole demon thing though, gargoyles commonly don't carry a heavy red tone, have curved-up horns and a tipped tail, that gives it the devil look. Deviate a bit smile.gif (and I avoid that myself as well)

If you want a little more inspiration on doing garg designs, you can always look here or use teh google image search to find good ones like these, they'll give an idea. Because right now, it looks more like a demonic Incredible Hulk imo :P

Good luck!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Your nick must stand for super stupendous because thats the quality of the work you constantly and consistently deliver. Awesome work yet again man. My only crit would be to use projection master in zbrush to add some texture to him
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God, CheapAlert:

Heheh - Thanks, maybe i should have just put "devil" as topic wink.gif
    - i have to admit, that he has more devil features than gargoyle features smile.gif
    - Anyway, just wanted to do some sort of demonic creature, with a bit cartoony proportions, while testing Silo - I was going to give him a dark red/grey/rock type skin, if i ever get that far with this model smile.gif (still working on gladiator model.... and couple of other models too...)
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    poopinmymouth:
    Thanks! - I was thinking about adding detail/texture with Z Brush - Haven't had time to touch Zbrush for a month now - been looking for work... frown.gif
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing to see what someone can do with a free program wink.gif

I'd love to see this sharpened up with zbrush.

Good luck on find work.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    CheapAlert has spoken, now let it be law.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    cep- Silo isn't free. Actually though, it pretty much is for the price of just over 100 bucks.

Yeah this is absolutely excellent as usual S-S. Only miniscule crit is that for some reason I think his horns would look better without the curl. i.e just jutting fairly straight out from the head. I cant explain why!

Im still waiting for Rick to come along and inform you that he has no cock ( the gargoyle, not Rick) .......
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    He has no cock.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    He has no cock.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah so put a chicken in his arms!

nice work
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for comments!

Daz:
    - BTW, as i used bevel to create those tiny horns, i first tested straight horns ...i was thinking ..."Dare Devil" and then curled them... smile.gif

Wireframe:

20041117_gargoyle_02.jpg
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great man Love the edge loops. Can we see the back of him?
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Silva_Spoon:

I can post more wires tomorrow!
  • j03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j03 polycounter lvl 18
    1st post since the new board, I use to be forkboy...anyway... the mesh/ploly flow is really friggen good.. its just, as its been pointed out.. its more of a devil than a gargoyle.. as far as flow thogh, im througly impressed.. laugh.gif
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Gargoyle - A roof spout in the form of a grotesque or fantastic creature projecting from a gutter to carry rainwater clear of the wall.

There is no definitive form for a gargoyle. They often look like dragons or little goblin/imp creatures, but its pretty much up to the artist/architect's whim. You can say that this doesn't look like a gargoyle, aside from perhps the fact that he doesn't have a piece of spouting jammed up his arse.

Anyway, its a damn nice piece of work, SS. I'd be interested to see what you can do with him in ZBrush too.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    nice work on the muscles , they look great... i certainly dont want this guy on my roof ... does the water come down his tail? smile.gif