Home General Discussion

BloodRayne 2 Demo... Awesomahj.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
My respect to the Terminal Reality crew. I wasn't much of a fan of the original game but this has just the right level of graphics, gore, senselss destruction and storyline to keep me entertained... at least through the demo.

The graphics are superb. A nice atmosphere with the Victorian era feel of the level carried over through the gothic-punk enemys. Animation is wonderful. Many a blood-thirsty giggle from some of the more brutal fatality and blood sucking moves.

Overall I'm liking a lot. I reckon I'll be inclined to purchase this... except it won't be released here, or if it is, it'll be significantly cut down.

All of ya download the demo now.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The reviews aren't very favourable, though, from bugs to low difficulty a whole lot of complaints are in there.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say our reviews aren't very favourable. That all depends on which reviews you've looked at. For the most part, I can think of 2 really terrible reviews by the same guy that appears to not like us for whatever reason. He gave us a 3 and a 4. All other reviews are averaging around 7 or 8.

Either way, about the low difficulty, we assume they only played the beginning, which, admittedly, is easy. After mid way, the difficulty ramps up.

Bugs, yeah, the game has it's bugs, won't try and lie about that. Though, for as much dynamic / interactive things we do in the game, and the amount of testing time we had, I'm surprised we got rid of as many as we did.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It's averaging a 74% on gamerankings.com. That's a very respectable score. And I thought it was pretty fun when I played the demo.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's one of my favorite rooms. This is what our interactivity level can get to:

Before:
    br2_before.jpg

After:
    br2_after.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Disclaimer: I have only played the demo...until it crashed both times.

I hate to say it, but while the art assets are skillfully produced the game falls rather flat for me, as did the first one.

Really I think its the controls which seem to be the greatest let down, in addition to the enemy AI/behaviors.

There seems to be some normal map compression or something going on as well, which makes several of the surfaces look lumpy or grainy up close. Minor aesthetic nit-pick.

Raynes textures & anims are great...except for jumping...and her face, which just seemed really poor to me. Cate Archer in NOLF? Great face model/texture for the main character. BR2? Looks rather low end by comparison.

All the TRI art-team did a bang-up job 90% of the time it seems, its just I don't care for the gameplay/story I suppose.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, I didn't notice any normal map compression issues and I spent quite a while looking at the scenery...

The controls are a bit screwy, but this'd be solved with a decent gamepad, much like Prince of Persia. The camera issues and general controls would work far better with a console style controller than with mouse and keyboard.

I didn't have any problems with her face either. It did look a bit odd really close up, but great from a distance where you see it from most of the time.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    gorgeous GORGEOUS screenshots :-O they look like software renders to me.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    you can blame me for the bugs
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Took a little bit to get used to it, but it's pretty fun. It keeps crashing in the hallway after the courtyard acrobatics part. Not sure how far along that is through the demo, but what I've played is pretty good.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    it;s pretty good from what i've played, but i can see it getting repetitive really fast.