Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young David

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
Whats up everyone? This is David from the book of Samuel in the bible. He is a teenager about to do battle with a 9 foot giant named Goliath. No full grown man in the Isreal army had to courage to fight Goliath but young David has stepped up to the challenge with faith in God in his heart and a sling with stones in his hands.

David will have a lions hide draped around his shoulder and waist and a pouch wraped likewise to carry his stones. This pimp may be a bit premature but the reason for my posting the screen grab was to see if you guys think his proportions are correct for a young man.

What do you think of him so far? Hes currently 1934 tri's.

***Image Removed***

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's pretty tall and has very wide shoulders if he's only a teenager. The shoulders are probably a bit on the wide side, no matter how old he is. He's also got some rather skinny legs and undersized feet.

Apart from a few proportional tweaks, he's looking pretty good thus far. Are you going to model up Goliath too?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, proportions are a little bit off. Jackablade's right about the shoulders being too wide, especially for a teenager.
    Also, his hands and feet are very disproportionate - put your own hand next to your foot, and see what length they are in relation to each other - your foot should be slightly bigger than your hand - that guy's feet are a little small (and flat), and his hands are a little on the large side.
    The calf geometry is a little weird - very spiky when it should be curving more.
    Other than that, shaping up pretty well. Keep at it!

MoP
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I'll second what MOP said, I think the feet and ankle area are just too tapered and small. needs a bit more bulk to them. As well as the shoulder width needing adjusting. Looking good so far though man. 8-)

Where have you been?
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I agree after looking at him with the shoulder crit in mind that they are to broad and the feet too small. I will take them into mind and adjust the model likewise for my next update.

As for where I've been, well to make a long story short, I had to take some time away from the computer (after being on it literaly night and day) to keep my fiance happy. But I'm back to the grind now and still hungry as ever for my break into this industry that I so eagerly want a chance to show what Im made of cool.gif
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better?

***Image Removed***
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ankles still look a little thin, and the feet are shaped pretty weirdly - take your socks off or grab your fiance and look at her feet for a while (she may think you're weird) ... then move some of those verts to get the shape to a more natural human form.
    also I think you could add a bit of detail to the back of the elbow where the bone is most obvious, it's more kinda lumpy and sharp there, not flat like you have it now (plus, more polys there will make for better deformation).

Just that stuff, and the face to finish detailing (i assume the face/hair is still WIP), then you will have one fine model!

MoP
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta catch some Z's. Thanks alot for the crits so far guys expecially MoP. They help me see things that after they are pointed out, I smack myself upside the head thinking how didnt I see that!

modeling03_thumb.jpg modeling04_thumb.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Love the clothes now, great stuff there.
    His face looks pretty cool too, he'll have a lot of character especially when textured.
    The feet... still need work. Here's an image Google supplied me with:
    foot_anatomy.jpg

Notice how the foot, immediately after connecting with the ankle, is actually pretty tall (vertically), then tapers down to be thin near the feet. Even if he's wearing shoes or sandals, the shape of your model's foot is very flat - the toe end is almost as "tall" as the part around the cuneiforms! CUNEIFORMS! smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hey my mom named me after this dude smile.gif maccabi souljah
    awesome model
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a highpoly version of him in ZBrush to give this normal mapping ish a try.

zmodeling_01_thumb.jpg zmodeling_02_thumb.jpg zmodeling_03_thumb.jpg
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mad.gifAHHHHHHHHHHHHmad.gif

***puts baby powder on his hand and bitch slaps himself***

I would've had a nice little update of his torso, but my dumbass didnt save my work after damn near two hours of sculpting and ZBrush crashed. When will I learn my lesson?
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking alright so far?

zmodeling_04_thumb.jpg
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ouch, no replies, is the high poly that bad?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No, it's turning out very nicely so far. I take it you haven't started zbrushing the arms/hands/cloth draped over his shoulder?
    The face and body cloth is good, although I'm not too sure about the upper lip - I think there's too much angle where it comes out... makes it look like he's pouting evilly or something.
    Good stuff so far, keep it up!