Home General Discussion

Speaking of lawsuits..who didn't see this coming?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=3900

saw this one a mile away. I am surprised it took this long.

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    My CoH'ing buddy here at the office says that NCSoft has a clause in their agreements that says, you're not supposed to duplicate licensed characters, or names. People still do, but they get shut down.

/jzero
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, I thought that copyright was to protect the creator of the work not stop people from making their own, not that marvel have ever been know to be overprotective about their supposed properties.

tpe
  • That Darn Satan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Darn Satan! polycounter lvl 18
    I hope very much that Marvel also sues Discreet, Alias, Adobe, Corel, Grumbacher and Crayola for likewise making available tools that could potentially be used for copyright infringement by other people.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    so giving people the creative freedom to copy a trade marked immage is grouds to be sued? thats bullshit..

if that's the case, you might as well sue me ahead of time, because i have the ability to model the hulk and have it look like him.

SUE MY ASS BEFORE I CAN ACT! :O
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Hahahahahahahah, if the world worked like Mavel thinks it does, then all the car companies would be suing each other cause their cars have the same simliar look and abilities. I hope they get their ass raped in a counter suit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pvp20041112.gif

I am adding Crayola to the list of companies marvel needs to go after. Hell why not sick thier lawyers on the throng of kindergardners that use those cryans. Oh and anyone that has access to a wooden stick, because they can be used (along with dirt) to draw likenesses close to Marvel characters.

Marvel Excec #1: So is it really a smart idea to go after the same people that read our comics and love our characters?

Marvel Excec #2: Look Ed, I told you three times now, I have a 100 car garage to fill and I will be damned if I fill it full of VW busses! Now shut up and cash your checks like the rest of us...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    This is really starting to piss me off.

Why don't they go ahead and sue Pixar while they're at it? In fact, why don't they sue anyone and everyone who has ever had anything to do with something along the lines of any character having ANY f****ing sort of super powers?!?!?!?!

Down with EA. AND down with Marvel. Stupid corporate bullshit. If they want money so bad, they should try making GOOD games.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I think I read somewhere that Marvel has an MMOG in development somewhere so this could be their way of taking some of COH's thunder for their upcoming game.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think I read somewhere that Marvel has an MMOG in development somewhere so this could be their way of taking some of COH's thunder for their upcoming game.

[/ QUOTE ]

so quick everone lets start creating new superheos and copywrite then so when marvels game comes out we can sue them if you can create heroes close to the ones we invented!!
  • Thornbird73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thornbird73 polycounter lvl 18
    Sheesh I guess they should sue Freddy Krueger and the JRR Tolkien estate should sue Blizzard for making Elven Archers and Orcs.

Come to think of it the plastic woman in the Incredibles resembles Mr. Fantastic so why doesn't marvel sue them because they know they can't sue a company that's bigger than them so they chose to pick on a smaller company.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if Irrational had this problem with Freedom Force. there were certainly a lot of characters by Marvel, DC and any other comic developer you care to mention wandering around on the multiplayer servers last time I checked.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    guys you'd better stop talking bad about marvel or they'll sue you for libel.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I didn't see it coming... I didn't know the Marvel folks could be THAT stupid... laugh.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sheesh I guess they should sue Freddy Krueger and the JRR Tolkien estate should sue Blizzard for making Elven Archers and Orcs.

Come to think of it the plastic woman in the Incredibles resembles Mr. Fantastic so why doesn't marvel sue them because they know they can't sue a company that's bigger than them so they chose to pick on a smaller company.

[/ QUOTE ]
    most of the incredible powers were takes off off of marvel characters and their powers, elastigirl = mr. fantastic, Violet = invisible girl (force fields AND invisibility) Mr. Incredible = any strong tough hero, theres like a billion, dash = anyu of the million super speed characters , Frozone = Iceman, Gayzerbeam = cyclops (even had the glasses. In fact i read an article here while back about the guy directing the fantastic four movie, saying he was worried people would think htey ripped the fantastic 4 powers off from the incredibles,

I think that this is pretty silly because most super heroe powers are so generic that they are shared over dozens of difrent heros at least. the only CoH power that i think was obviously coppied was the retractable metal claws ala wolverine
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Mojo: With that in mind, I expect that the time when Marvel sues Pixar shouldn't be more than weeks away...

Especially when Pixar managed to make a rocking superhero film, whereas almost every movie out of Marvel in the last few years have utterly sucked noodles! laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OT: I wanna see a MMORPG where you can go back in time using your superpowers and change the game's history! That would rule!

Topical: Lawsuits, in general, suck - especially ridiculously vague and tenuous ones.