Home General Discussion

HL2 Anyone got it? First impressions?

tpe
tpe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tpe polycounter lvl 18
Amazingly enough even here in Denmark Half Life 2 is comming out on time (ok years late but on the first official release date we had here). In fact it is even early, There is a copy in the post to me right now that should arrive in the morning, yupee smile.gif and it isnt even supposed to be released here till the 16th

This is the first time that a game has arrived retail (in my memory) that it hasnt been possible to download the pirate retail version well in advance, how come, esp concidering the problems along the way?

So I am guessing it is readily available in the states, c'mon so who has it and whats it like? And wasnt the US release date the 11th anyway? How is the activation, annoying or not? Or is everyone just too busy playing?

tpe

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its not being released here to the 14/15th.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    frown.gif and having just looked through the posts on blues (where apparently there are quite a few who havi it in their hands already) it looks like it wont be possible to activate it untill then anyway, bummer. What could be worse than actually getting a game early let a lone on time and then finding out you cant play it... Suck Oh well amazing it got here on time, guess thats better than nothing, may have to resort to some kind of helper file untill activation date.

tpe
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Hope you enjoy it Tim, I am looking for Q4 to get out.

Hope your recovered fine T.P.E.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bought my copy a month ago - picking it up on Monday.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    it's alright! i played the multiplayer on xbox live for a few hours at my friends place. not bad. i dont think it holds up to some of the best online pc shooters.. worth the hype? i'd say no, but still, it's good fun.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dude, you played it on X-Box. Base your opinion off the REAL version, the PC version wink.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's alright! i played the multiplayer on xbox live for a few hours at my friends place. not bad. i dont think it holds up to some of the best online pc shooters.. worth the hype? i'd say no, but still, it's good fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Half Life or Halo? I didn't think Half Life 2 was coming out on Xbox, escpecially not this early.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    It's not to be activated until Nov 16. All the CD contains is the preloaded content, and the Steam installer.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yup, u can get it early or whateverm but u need to activate with steam, so thats not until the 16 aHAHAHAH
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, the thread is about half life 2, not halo 2.

no worries though, i always get them confused aswell.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Me thinks theres going to be an epidemic sweep through our studio on Tuesday. I reckon we'll have at least half the team on sick leave.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Valve's strategy with Steam is fucking stupid.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    eep- Can you explain that a bit more in detail?
    I like that those that got the game early when they weren't supposed to still can't play.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh. It wasn't supposed to be released yet? Then that's totally different. I was completely out of the loop and thought it was just released early in some places, but wouldn't be playable until X date. I didn't know that the case was pre-released stuff.

Show's how little interest I really have for Half-Life 2 smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think it sucks that Valve can expect people to register online for a singleplayer game and people actually DO it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm which raises the point. What if they have no internet connection?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're fucked and can't give it back because the box is already open.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Make wonder people hack their stupid asses.. I hate shit like this..

internet connection, phwah!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So what is it exactly thats the bad thing about registering online? I mean who's going to have a computer fast enough to play HL2 but not have the internet? Registering will just allow slow-down on cracked versions. Its just registering your copy.

And although I've never really used it, I'm a fan of the Stream system/idea.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I assume you can telephone to activate your copy, or a similar method. Internet isn't the be-all and end-all of communication methods.
    thnom: English next time, please? o_O
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop: No. It requires a connection to the steam master server, period.

Adam: The point is that they require you to connect to the internet to use a piece of software that has zero use or need for the internet. The potential for abuse is there (information harvesting, switching to a pay-to-play model, etc) as is the probability that Valve will some time shut down the server (because they go out of business or get bought out a few years later) and HL 2 becomes unusable. Also, some people have temporarily no internet, say because they just moved or are on a vacation.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm really getting tired of people bitching about the internet connection requirement--to me it sounds very much like people bitching about CDROM-only versions of games when they're one of the very few people left around with no CDROM drives. you're bitching on an online forum, no less, which heightens the irony... but honestly, is this so difficult a requirement? is valve supposed to overhaul a perfectly good plan because somewhere out there there's someone with a high-powered enough computer to play HL2 who doesn't have an internet connection? yes, there are some disadvantages to the system, but they're far outweighed by the huge leaps forward represented by the steam technology.

if you made a mod that garners enough attention as to be promoted on steam, you're getting free, direct exposure to millions of homes in america and worldwide. shouldn't we as artists and developers be supportive of a concept like this? all the mods that never quite got the attention they deserved, episodic content, you name it--delivered straight to you. and this is a problem how?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so is it only for the first start? Meaning I wont have to be connected everytime I want to play the game? (I can't-shared phone).

I think they will be getting a lot of calls to tech support complaining about this. There are pelnty of people out there with high end computers who are not connected to the internet for one reason or another.

Gauss, you make a good argument - for a multiplayer game. I for one am buying a single player gamer. Sure we could argue this for CS Source. But that for those who bought that portion. I didn't. Couldn't afford too, and I never liked CS all that much.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    "Ok so is it only for the first start? Meaning I wont have to be connected everytime I want to play the game? "

Yes. You only need to connect once, then you can switch Steam to an offline mode.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    as i understand it, no a constant connection is not required. it's a one-time authorization and something about setting up steam in 'offline mode', and then no more online service is required.

i understand that there are still computers that are not hooked up to the internet that might well be used to play HL2, but i stand firm by the CDROM/ 3 1/2 inch disk drive parallel. or the hardware accelerated graphics vs. software graphics. 10 years ago, yeah, it would have been a ludicrous to require an internet connection for a single player game, but almost everyone who buys HL2 can swing a net connection, even for just a little bit.

and even single player games these days are constantly supplanted by/require an internet access for some amount of time. think about it this way--most of the single player FPS games out in the last few years have not absolutely required net access...

...or have they? most of them are playable ootb, but virtually all of them require or at least work much better supplanted by patches now and again, which means internet access. people are panicking about something that really isn't all that different from what we've been having to do with FPS games for years! we will have game patches for the foreseeable future, and most of HL2's target demographic is already on the internet. in addition to initial digital content delivery (the game), wouldn't you much rather have a system like steam in place for patches, instead of always hunting down the latest patch from, oh, fileplanet or whatever?

yes, i admit there are a few people that are going to absolutely be left behind by the online requirement, but exceedingly few. and certainly far less left behind than the inevitable change in system requirements or any other such technological change in computer gaming. is requiring the net connection any less alienating to gamers than coming out with a shit-blistering hot new graphics engine that needs a top of the line system to run in full glory, or what?

the positives and the future viability of this concept so far outstrip the problems that i can't see why some people are so resistant to change. something to think about i guess.

edit: and eepberries, i know the quick reply feature is handy, but please try and consider things before blurting out some one line knee-jerk opinion about things, ok?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'm saying I'm not giving personal data to a company as untrustworthy as Valve. Hell, these guys cannot even keep their sourcecode safe, how am I supposed to trust them keep my personal data away from hackers?
    With e.g. Doom 3 I can download the patches from any server I like and theoretically never connect to any server within the control of iD Software. With HL2 I have to tell Valve my email address and my IP even though it's not required to make the software itself work. Could I unregister my copy to sell it (EU law forbids Valve to tell me I can't do that)?
    The only thing I'm glad about is that since it cannot be installed on more than one system and you cannot set up a LAN with one copy we'll never be able to play CSS here. I hope CSS STAYS that way, LAN parties must not be polluted by that game.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    can only be installed on one machine? thats sucks...

just wait until you have to provide finger print id, a retinal scan, and present 3 froms of id to install games wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, okay, you could probably install it, authenticate it with your account and set it to offline, then install the next one but I'd expect Valve to put in something that prevents you from doing that. Else one person could supply their whole neighborhood with singleplayer copies.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    But then, if you can only register it once, then you can't reinstall it a year, or two, later... That doesn't make much sense. :/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Make wonder people hack their stupid asses.. I hate shit like this..

internet connection, phwah!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Apparantly, making much sence isn't your kind of thing either, or am i wrong there?
    Anyway, i think it's a pretty good system, but i DO wonder how people without an internet connection would do it, allthough i'm fairly certain Valve has found a solution for that, because they've never been one to fuck customers over, in my experience.
    Also, with what happened to them, doesn't it seem logical they'd be a bit careful?

Edit: you CAN reinstall it, the information is kept in your steam account, and you only need to login to that to be able to play the game on a different pc.
    At least, this is the way it is with every other steam game
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Valve's strategy with Steam is fucking stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe using a system of distributing content without the need of a publisher is brilliant, and could be a major benefit for small studios looking to move upward without the interference and limitations placed by publishers and corporate executives. If I were a developer, I would want to release my content to as many people as possible and receive every bit of money earned from its sales, instead of a small percentage. Maybe Steam isn't the best option, but it's a step in the right direction. But that's just me rambling like an idiot.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pea: The problem we see is that because HL2 can be played offline and the only authentication is at install time you could install it, auth it and set it to offline with as many computers as you like. That was also a problem with the WinXP auth because you cannot tell a legit request from a bad one. I have a feeling Valve or Vivendi will add something that makes this impossible.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    if you don't like the way it is, don't buy it, i'm sure they will weep softly for about 2 seconds for each of you and then they will go on to being the biggest selling pc game of all time (or damn close to it)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naah, I'm waiting, HL2 isn't worth 50$ to me, anyway. Lets see if something changed by the time the first interesting mods arrive.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a brilliant idea for a HL2 mod, totally original, and NO it doesn't involve realistic army weapons and sneaking around in kevlar vests shouting "n00b" at everyone.
    Hopefully I can find a coder good enough to pull it off (if it's even possible).
    More details as and when I see fit to release them... smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've got a brilliant idea for a HL2 mod, totally original, and NO it doesn't involve realistic army weapons and sneaking around in kevlar vests shouting "n00b" at everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I'm very excited that Valve is releasing so many great FUNCTIONAL tools for the mod community, along with EXP and the XSI price drop. No longer will I have to repeatedly respond to mod team members asking "why haven't you downloaded a copy of Max?" I have a sweet game concept from a FarCry mod that died after recruiting me. HL2 may be the perfect engine for me to bring it back myself.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I can see people opting for hacked(pirated) copies of HL2 not becuse they can't afford it(or choose not to pay full price) but simply that they don't trust Steam with what information is downloaded from the computers.

If the above sounds paranoid then check this out-
    http://news.com.com/Is+Microsoft+using+Halo+2+to+thwart+Xbox+hackers/2100-1043_3-5449160.html

Hey! this thread was suposed to be about HL2 first impressions. Has anyone played it yet?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone played it yet?

Isn't this whole thread about WHY people cannot play it yet?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ah! sory guys, in my tired stupour for some reason hl was Ha-lo to me hahaha.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    for sett and everyone else just tuning in, nobody (whether an early retail copy or a steam copy) can play HL2 before it's activated this monday night at 12:00 am.

and for the people still hung up on either valve security or big brother paranoia, read the gamespot 'final hours' article. has an overview of the development but also tells the story of the code leak and the infamous september 30th release date.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

and have some sympathy. they're just guys trying to make the best games they can, and they know what kind of expectations HL2 has. they're not perfect and they're certainly not scary monsters out to get your secret information on your computer and take away your freedom.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    HL2 was some of the best single player I have ever experienced and I can't wait for this one. I heard Valve would allow the unlocking part but Vivendi is being anal about waiting until the 16th.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    they're not perfect and they're certainly not scary monsters out to get your secret information on your computer and take away your freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach it, Gauss! Right on! wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it sets a bad precedent, though. What if publishers see this as a successful attempt to control usage rights and decided that henceforth all of their games have to come equipped with some form of online auth system that runs in the background? I wouldn't expect them to use online distribution as well but they'd sure as hell love online authentication. And the next thing you know is you have ten different DRM processes running that somehow manage to create a conflict and destabilize your PC. Even if Valve gets their security right I doubt others will.
    Or maybe they'll start pushing TCPA much more...
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    KDR makes some good points that dont seem to be properly adressed yet.

tpe
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mop: No. It requires a connection to the steam master server, period.
    Also, some people have temporarily no internet, say because they just moved or are on a vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real problem for me because my home connection is still in the cave man days. Hopefully when I move it will improve. You know some people do game, very few, but some do without the internet.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Like I said before, most people with gaming rigs have an internet connection. I'm sure Valve isn't worried that 1% of its demographic isn't online. And if your net connection is still in the caveman days that'll suffice. Just register once and you're fine.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tesco Extra, open 24/7! We went up there at 00:15, Tuesday 16th November, and demanded they remove the fake "Preorder" DVD boxes from the shelves and put the real ones on. They did!

FRESH!

It's installing now, although I think I won't be able to activate it until 8am (midnight PST). Well, I'll have 30 minutes of playing time before I have to go into University... I'll probably end up skipping the class... smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    A guy I know at work bought online 'cause he thought he would get to play the game before everyone else, then he found out they won't let you play until it hits the store selves, I did a preorder so I will be enjoying my cardboard box and instruction booklet while all you other suckers can accidentally delete your copy from your hard drives. I heard it was actually their distributor that made everyone wait for the game to hit store selves, Vivendi or some junk, I could be totally wrong.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ANSWERING THE TOPIC QUESTION:

Yes, I have played it! For 30 minutes before I had to come to this (dreadful boring) Flash class.
    It's great fun so far.
    Graphics are very nice, the characters are almost photo-real while still being fairly stylised, the models and textures are excellent, lighting is pretty good (although the shadows always cast in the same direction from characters, even indoors).
    The facial expressions are great, the script and voice acting lends a lot to the atmosphere.
    I was feeling paranoid 5 minutes into the game, it's very immersive.
    Can't wait to get home and play more!

THEY'RE WAITING FOR ME, GORDON... IN THE TEST CHAMBER!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hey malcolm: get ready to enjoy a bunch of discs, in a box, with a steam installer on it, just like everyone that bought it on steam. except i've already played 3 hours of it, and i'll have a physical backup whenever i want. oh, and i can put it on a dvd, which is going to be one up on your retail copy. so suck it. smile.gif

also answering topic question:

played for 3 hours, and though i'm stopping for the night (morning, it's nearly 6:00 am here) and my computer needs a defrag (remember that, kids!) it's pretty damn awesome. the the suspension of disbelief is there, the characters are very very emotive. i've really enjoyed myself so far and will be diving right back into it first thing tomorrow.