Home General Discussion

Random name engine! Woot!

frosty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
frosty polycounter lvl 18

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~pound/#werd

http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm

Here are some cool random name generators for all kinds of uses. Mine will be for my fantasy fighting card game. Perhaps this can help any of you out there needing some character or bot names or you writers like Sundance & Kirin for your novels. : -)

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, the japanese sample includes SO many valid names...

Is that a Markoff model? Sorry, but I cannot read Perl (some people would argue that Perl is write-only...).
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what you mean KDR about the Markhoff model, unless your ref. to my avatar, which is a pic of Brom's work.

I have not browsed the sites much yet, the random 30 option is just what the doc ordered and now I have to find a random one for clans. i.e. storm crows, blood anvils and so on and so on. This has got me really excited. /edit: enter geek mod huh?
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    name generator? you know it is posible just to.. Make up a name "Torneld" look! "Dahert" you just.. make up stuff if you can't do that you can just randomly hit your keyboard "jcr" then randomly add a few vowels and maybe one or 2 extra letters "Jocurn" there! random name "dfm " "Dafram"
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo that is similar to what I was doing.
    I was using excel random number function to generate a page number then a line number and then I'd look it up in the Denver white pages and get a name. The generator works better and quicker than this and my fantasy fighting card-game requires 9 fighters per clan x 30 clans = 270 names. A very bit of work you know. This will also spill over for my clan names for headhunters card game and my mods for card-football.

BTW can anyone please tell me if my avatar is loading, I keep getting the white zone with the little red and blue guys when using nutscrape 4.79? Thank you!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i see an avatar, but i dunno what it is.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i can see it. its freaky.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good to me now using IE, it is a weird ragdoll painting done by Brom. I got a whole bunch of sicko links still to go. hehehe crazy.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The Markoff model (might be spelled differently) is a system where for every combination of letters probabilities for the next letter are calculated. The result is mostly nonsense words but all of them sound somewhat like the language that was used to build your database. The Markoff model can also be used with words, some chatbots use that. Feeding them movie scripts is fun... "Neo, the Matrix is no spoon!"

Mojo: Most people use that method, AFAIK. I just think around until I hit something.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    depends what i'm creating names for, if i'm going for humans, i usually try for something that sounds authentic for the particular nationality i'm using. hence my thread on the old board for 'foriegn' names. for aliens, i usually make something up for races i'm creating. if it's for something like my trek fan-fic, i usually mess about with names for that species that we've already had; like my vulcan woman is t'lana, my andorian guy is shrad and i've got a trill called kel tigan.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hey, can't beat name generators. always entertaining or handy at certain moments. thanks for the links smile.gif