Home General Discussion

Nothern lights have come to Chicago!!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
On the news tonight they said something about the northern lights being visable in chicago (I didn't see the news so I don't know why it's visable). I went outside around 11 when I head about it. Wow. It looked incredible, never saw anything like it. It looked like a burst of green and red clouds. Directly above me was the center, and out from that were these streams of green clouds that were slowly changing colors and moving. The entire sky was covered at times. Started to clear up around 11:30-12ish, but I was just outside (it's 1 here) and it's back but now it's a little different. Now there's these white clouds that are wisking across the sky. It's really amazing to see. Especially in Chicago.

I tried taking some pictures of it, I doubt they'll turn out but if they did I'll post them up here tomorrow. And if anyone has any pictures from tonight please post them. Hopefully it'll still be here tomorrow and if it is I suggest any of you in the area to go outside and see it.

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Are you sure that wasn't just the pollution?
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't think people thought they were so amazing. We get them all the time here smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    remember being up in the northernmost areas of canada about 6 or so years ago for a canoeing trip.. one of the nights we paddled out to the middle of the lake we were on and just laid back to watch the northern lights.. friggin awesome stuff.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Iv only seen them once back in 1991 when there was a lot of sunspot activity and if you have never seen one before, they are totally amazing. Dont get em here in the uk too oftem though, that was the last one I managed to view.

Looking forward to seeing your pics soccerman.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Only seen them with my eye once, when I was very young. I'm sure I've had the opportunity to see them again but just hadn't bothered.
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    We got them all the time in Shetland but haven't seen them since moving down to Enger-land. It's not something I think of that often but I do miss the aurora.

Am looking forward to someone else's pics of them too smile.gif
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I hope they are coming to montreal D: never seen them before
  • That Darn Satan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Darn Satan! polycounter lvl 18
    I grew up in Wyoming, but took a few family vacations to Minnesota where I got to see the lights. Even young as I was and probably less appreciative of them as I would be now, it was a breathtaking experience. There's a lot of magic there, I think. wink.gif
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Lol Northern Lights tour 2004
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Well, unfortunately none of the pics I took came out. Mostly black with two or three stars. The only pictures I've seen from yesteray were on the news:
    wls_110804_lightshow_st2.jpgwls_110804_lightshow_st.jpg

Those two don't really show what I saw, but they're something, so if anyone was able to get some pictures please post them. I don't think I've ever heard of this being visable in Chicago before, and I've never seen it before. Didn't think it was even possible, thought that the electromagnetic field caused the particles from the sun to be pulled towards the poles and the "northern lights" were just the particles burning up in the atmosphere, in which case it doesn't make much sense to be seeing it here. But it was amazing to see, and I went out a few mintes ago and I didn't see anything so I guess it's not back today.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    while in school in northern ohio, i saw them 2-4 times there. it was out in the country, and flat, so it was extremely visible.

only other time was in cincinnati when i was young.

awesome stuff though, yahoo for radiation!
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the northern lights on sunday night, I live in a suburb of chicago with slightly less light pollution. it was way more visible on sunday than on monday.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Yes I caught them the too Soccerman, most vivid I have ever seen in Colorado!, pretty cool stuff.

Oh the end is near.......
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    noticed them last night at about 2:30. I'm up here in Maine, but this is the first time i've ever seen them. friggan bizarre stuff, but undoubtably cool. horizon was so bright it looked like dawn, and it was shooting across the entire sky over me.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    OMG I seen them to it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen...dancing lite up clouds... made me feel like a kid again it was so great !!!

This is outside Mattel Toys in Middleton Wisconsin. Wish I had got more there was this bright Neon Blue going across the sky for awihle...I thought for sure the Mothership was coming . laugh.gif
    lights.jpg