Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grenade Launcher WIP

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi, here is a gernade launcher I designed for Vermuelen's mod. The model is made up of 969 polygons. I was wondering what you thought of the color scheme I have in mind for the texture. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex
gL01.jpg
gL_s01.jpg

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The mesh looks really nice, but I still think 1000 polys is overkill for weaponmodels, even with todays fast computers.
    That computing power could be much better spend on other stuff.
    Oh and I really don't like that red on your concept pic... dunno but for me even fantasy weapons should look like 'realistic' weapons.
  • timothyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timothyd polycounter lvl 18
    I think the handle is too thin. Also, where do you put your other hand to steady it? Just underneath? Usually there's an underside grip as well. The color scheme is ok, not sure if paint would hold up in combat situations.

JKMakowka - 1000 polys is fine for weapon models, if the power exists it should be used.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1000 is overkill for world models, if its a view model then most games today are using closer to 2000-2500
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty pimp, I think the polycount isn't a problem. Looking forward to the texture!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Grenade launchers use a different sight. Since grenades are heavier than normal gun projectiles they aren't fired at the same speed and gravity has a much larger influence even at short distances. They usually have lots of targeting markers for various distances. But then again you dont have a shoulder piece on the weapon, either...
    Oh, and the clip doesn't look like it could house the ammunition you're going for, might want to scale it up.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    If you look at real life guns , they are purely functional in design ... try to think of a reason somthing is onyour model ... if there is bits sticking out , or holes ... why are they there? just my 2 pence smile.gif
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    1000 polies for something that will be taking up a quarter of the screen is definitely not overkill.
    I like the design, kind of a mix between the quake 2 and 3 grenade launchers. I’m not a big fan of the grey blue and red colour scheme though.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Thermidor:- I see what you mean baout the functuality of guns,but unless you are a gun-nut (and this can be todo with anything really) you,like me,maynot know the parts or the "why are they there?" for your average gun....As long as the design for a futuristic based object is ergonomically possible to use and the most basic functality issues are solved (in this case the handles,grip,trigger position and grenade clip) and the design matches the style you are going for then I see no issues about it.

ALso im not digging the red outlines either.

John
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi heere is an update of the gun. I started to texture it. Let me know what you think. Thansk for the replies and suggestions.

Alex

gL02.jpg
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, keep goin!
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    -the barrel hole is very large

-the projectile is very large

-the ammunition feed belt/wheel holes are not correspondingly sized

-a rotary amunition feed for this weapon just doesnt make a huge lot of sense. I suppose you could keep it for the fantasy sense but usually grenade damage is huge compared to other weapons and gameplay balance would have it be a slowfire weapon. Slow rate of fire weapons benefit a lot from fancy reload animations when possible; this brings upt he opportunity to have a chamber that needs reloading which would be a really nice and impressive animation that takes a few seconds - thusly balancing the need for gameplay balance and to have the weaopns appearance and function balance its appearance.

-your current color scheme appears to be more of a sports color coding than a weapon coloring. If your making a CTF/teamplay game then that coding may be appropriate (and if so you may want red/blue variants) However usually I recommend you make your first skin be a non-team colored variant and when its done find out what colors/areas would benefit most from team color variants. Having a gun look like its got sports striping or Circus colors doesnt add to the "holy hell thats going to rip my head off" feel that a flat gun-metal grey does .. at least to me.

-the current design of this weapon is waaaay to heavy on the front side and the way the grips are it would be breaking your wrist (or feel like it was) in 2 minutes or less. If its going to be that front heavy this is a HEAVY weaopn and would need a bigger grip for the non-firing hand that would allow you to support the front end of it and you might want to also have a shoulder strap to support it.

overall I suggest re-design to a chamber loading grenade which will alleviate half of the feedback I have.

As always - its your gun so please take my crits only as suggestions and enjoy your design if it suits your personal needs.

melkior (at)
    studio-erebus.com
    Nightwatch Modeling Team Lead
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The color scheme was approved by the people that comissioned the gun since it fits into their game pretty well. Melkior you made some good points about the holes, I sort of overlooked that. I modified them so they match and added the ammo. I sort of based this theme on the Quake 3 guns so I'm not really going for a typical realistic looking granade launcher. I also added a spot for the character to hold the gun steady, similar to what was done in Quake 3. The gun's texture has a long way to go. The final lines will be all scratched up as well as most of the paint so I will be revealing alot of the base gray paint. There will be burn marks, dirt, and other wear and tear. Thanks for the advise. Let me know what you think.

Alex
    gL03.jpg
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    I like the revolver kind of loading system. smile.gifIt does looks a little unbalanced because of the handle imho. I would rotate the handle and resize it just a little. What i don`t like is how parts of the model (buttons, coolgrid) intersects the gun. Try to flatten the edges to the surface - it`s also easier to skin.

hth
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    The hole in the barrel needs to be centered. It just doesn't look right being shifted to the top like that.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a less bright pinkish shade of red would work better? Something closer to blood, im still not a fan of the colour scheme but i think changing the red would help alot.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi here is an update to my gernade launcher. This mostly a prototype and is around 1045 polys. Let me know what you think.

Alex
    gL04.jpg
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    the new design looking much better Sage, only crit possibly is that the area under the barrel looks a bit flimsy. nice improvement
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is another update to my gun. I started to do a color test for the gun and sketched in so details. I also optimized the gun alot, it's now 970 polys. Let me know what you think.

Alex gL05.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of the quake2 art somewhat wink.gif Which is a good thing in my eyes, I loved that stuff. Keep going smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of the Quake2 Grenade Launcher (which is a good thing!) smile.gif
    [edit]lol, n30g3n3s1s... great minds... wink.gif

I like the start on the colour scheme. something to remember is that when paint gets chipped off like that to reveal the grey metal underneath, the chipping usually occurs around points of most contact - ie corners and edges of the metal, it's not likely that the paint would flake off in large areas which wouldn't come into contact with things very often.
    Also you'll want to remember to throw in some nice sharp highlights on the grey metal, but not on the red paint - that will help differentiate the materials.

Keep it up!

BTW just a note: You've been spelling it "gernade" all this time, it's actually "grenade"!
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    One thing to fit the nexuiz style, is that it should be more of an alien chrome clean metal type design. No textures in nexuiz have rust or dirt. The model looks great now though, its a lot more detailed on the top which adds a lot to it.
  • AfroLeft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    The grenade launcher in terminator 2 had a revolvng magazine, right? I didnt mind the old paint scheme (as long as it wasnt going for realism, kinda like a colourfull ps2 game). I think they re-do looks too much like the Q2 one, but the fatter grenades are better. (and the magazine was an oval in the old one.)

Hmm... old paint does flake off in laege bits in the middle of things, but that old flakey lead based paint most likley.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi, here is an update to my gun. I hope to have it done in a few weeks. Let me know what you think.

Alex
    gL06.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, I'm a fan of the mesh. Really like it, well done. The overall appearance of the weapon though looks all too familiar from sorts of FPS games. The imagination side of it seems lacking, but the execution of it all is superb. Now to see a finished skin...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I did some more work on the skin. I started to add some details and shading. Let me know what you think.

Alex
    gL07.jpg
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    delicous, looks really cool.
    i like the red plastics (i hope they are plstics laugh.gif)
    The metal needs some work though, or do you plan to make the reflectiosn via envirnemtnmaps?
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    nice, thats starting to turn out really well
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool keep up the good work
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    wow realy great progress! I love the skin man:D
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    How about overlaying the skin with itself (desaturated)?Sometimes works wonders. smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm that sounds interesting Mit Gas... I do feel the skin is a little to saturated at the moment especially when I add my reflection overlay. I'm still adding the basic details though so I have all the overlays off since they tend to make me say the skin is done before it really is. I'll have an update soon. Thansk for the feedback.

Alex
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    I really really really like the details in the skin...really.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm really liking how the gun is turning out. I added more details and the gun finally has a hole in it's barrel. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL08.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along nice, but I really am not a fan of the grip at this stage. Looks like a cow skin or something. Of course I realize it's a WIP and that might change.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hey it does look like a cow skin, I had not noticed that at all before. It's pretty funny wink.gif I hope I can fix that before I'm done. Thanks for the observation John. Later.

Alex
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it looks great, you should start dabbing in dots of maroon/black to push the contrast more. looking great thus far!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is another update to the gun. Let me know what you think.
    Later.

Alex
    gL09.jpg
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage, i think it is looking good, it is a very clean design and looks like its going to be sweet when its finally finished. I'd recommend to try to stay up all one night and just bust it out, otherwise its going to drag out into a unnecesarily long amount of time, time which can be used on other projects.
    Id also say you should add some texture layers over it and dirty it up with scratches and brown grimey stuff. keep it up
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    This has come a long way from the original with the excessive ventalation holes. Great progress man!
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I imported into Nexuiz and took some shots:
    nexuiz000005.jpg
    Thats as an item

nexuiz000003.jpg
    Thats the view model

One comment from Havoc: maybe make the red portion be more of a dirty dark metal, with polished edges from wear?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh I thought I could not add any wear and tear to the gun, but now that you asked this should look a lot better. I have been wanting to do that for a long time. The game pretty nice and I'm glad to see the gun in there. Hey do Quake 3 shaders work? Latter.

Alex

Alex
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, no quake3 shaders
    Only bumpmaps, offset maps, glow maps, gloss maps
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    That looks mighty fine smile.gif but is it a different texture in game or is the clip facing the wrong direction ? tongue.gif

@vermeulen - i have to overlook my texture so i can post my new model the other day laugh.gif.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Seeing it in game now, you really need to push the contrast on that baby. Some near blacks would not be amiss, because the engine will never lighten them brighter than black. So it will always look like a groove or recess. The details are looking nice, they just are too shallow in their value rainge.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback! Here is what I have done to the gun. I added a metal overlay and played with the contrast a bit. I'm finally starting to add the final details to this skin. Bout time! wink.gifLet me know what you think.

Alex

gL10.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could really use some more specular treatment. Right now it's kinda flat looking IMO.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I added the back to the shells. I'll be finishing up the details and fix the shading issues at the end. I'm looking at my Halo game cover and am going to try to push my highlights in that direction. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL11.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Another quick update. Played with the contrast abit.

Alex

gL12.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Did alot more work on the hilights and shading and added more details. Let me know what you think.

Alex

gL13.jpg
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to come alive, keep it up smile.gif