Home General Discussion

Pixar outdoes itself.. INCREDIBLES IS INCREDIBLE

Mojo2k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
Oh my god.. this movie is sooo good.. everyone was amazed by it.. in my opinion its by far the best pixar movie to date, and judging from a rather weak trailer of their new endevor.. incredibles will be tops for a while. this is not a spoilet thread, so if anyone wants to discuss details about the movie lets make a new thread, i'd be glad to chaat about it some.

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap this was awesome.. me, mojo and some other mythic art whores went to see the midnight showing.. still blown away.. a small warning; its so good it will make you feel like you are wasting your time with 3d.. i almost want to kill myself .. the only thing keeping me going is knowing that i will be able to watch it again tomorrow...
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to hear that it is being well received. I'll be seeing it late Friday night. I wanted to see this for quite some time now. Good timing too, because I like to play City of Heroes.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, can't wait until it gets over here.

Cars, is the next one, right?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    ooooh.. goody. just came to campus today. and it's free MSU student night as well. too bad i graduated last semester but my girlfriend is still a student and it's only $3.50 anyway. MUST SEE! smile.gif
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Yeah, I liked the movie. I wish it had more action, but then again I like being spoiled.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    ...it was incredible! Probably the best movie I have seen since Return of The King, and.. well for me, much closer to my roots, and well, therefore, Much Cooler.

The movie starts and sets up the premise, with a look back at a "Silver Age" era of Heroes, and shows some of the action, and also how Mr. Incredible is sued for rescuing a suicide victim, and then the followup Lawsuits, of the injured passengers from urban rail rail system, damaged by bombs from the same superfight. Because of the enormous payouts by the government, superheroes are forced to retire, and blend in with society. We then rejoin the movie 15 years later where the former hero is now a cog in the bowels of an Insurance company, and father to a family, also posessed of Superpowers.

That's as far into the plot as I will go, but man I enjoyed this movie, and will go and see it perhaps 6 or seven more times, just to try and pick out the Visual Jokes. I am also not going to get into nit picky technical details of the models and the rigs, and the shaders, because, frankly while they helped to give the film a rich visual feel, the important part, is that the film was well acted, and well paced, and rolled along without dragging. it broke the 90 minute rule for animated films, and you didn't notice.

I said above that this was the best Movie I have seen since ROTK, but you know what? I liked this one better, because it hit all the "Everything I thought was cool growing up", notes, as well as visual Homages to a lot of superhero scenarios, but also James Bond films, and , of course, my all time favorite, Johnny Quest. (especially towards the end.) This was all the cool parts of the mid to late 1960's. The movie was funny, but it was also an Action film! the superhero teamwork was more kinetic , than the X-men films that always seems a little limited by the wires, the stage lighting, and the editing. Only Spiderman 2 approached this level of epic scope, and superheroic freedom in it's movements, except in this case, it was multiple supers. Fantasy is all fine and good, but fantasy has this sort of solemnity, and gravitas, that, well, feels off to me. this movie was active and ultimately exhuberant. ROTK, may have been made with love and reverence, but it was a love and reverence as an Ideal, as a platonic love. The Increadibles had the rough and tumble of a familial love. The layering of the visuals is dense, and the various visual homages to other films, and media, as well as the visual jokes are coming out fast wide and deep, and show a depth of thinking and craft on this film past just the lines on the script. it is a rare visual treat as well.

I highly recommend this film if you are fans of action movies, and pixar films. It's 'animated", but it.. isn't ..a.. cartoon if you get my meaning. For Pixar's first PG Rated film. I think that they 1.) hit it out of the ballpark. Will it presage an era of older age range animated films? who knows, but it seems to be happening, with the success of Shrek 2. Just as long as the stories and characters are good, and people don't try to milk a formula, or cheap out, the quality will be a solid basis for further development. However films like "Sharktale",which was a by the numbers film, shows that the forces that killed animation, have already corrupted one film making it just a mediocre film. Some people, that aren't fans of superheroes, or any "modern" genre, may not be all that enamoured of this movie, but the Pixar quality is solid and dense as a diamond. Go see it.

Scott
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    HOT!
    Best movie ever! It's like Scott just said...the coolness factor of this movie pushes it so far ahead of anything I've watched!
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    Well there is not much I can say, that Scott hasn't covered, but I will say this......
    X-Men 3 can only hope to handle Iceman, like Pixar handled Frozone, damn he was slick in action. And the expressions on Dash were amazing.
    Best superhero movie ever!!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG...

it was friggin amazing...
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    How can Scott be so coherent? He must have waited a day or two after seeing the movie to comment. I just got back from the 10:00 showing and it's all I can do not to wake my family up and make them go see it.

/faints
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it. Just loved it. This was a clinic on film making, and I am thoroughly inspired after seeing it. First, the Iron Giant, and now this. Thank you, Brad Bird.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Too Good!!! Man, this movie was great. There were so many great scenes. I'm going to see it again today while I'm babysitting.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well I'm going to go see this about 6 or 7 more times this week. :-) I think the only flaw was the short subject "Boundin'", which seemed kind of limp (and this was BEFORE I saw the feature).

Scott
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! That was amazing! The animation. The action. The characters, and facial expressions. The drama. The jokes. Oh my goodness.

Some of the scenes were unlike Pixar, but man were they impressive. The night scenes...and of course the water. Dude, i don't know what else to say. Oh oh, and the element of strong family values. That's the best part. I'm just blown away.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I seen it . Totally amazing action...CG ...buttttt I did not like COACH ( Poltergeist dad ) as the voice of Mr. Incrediable and the Moms voice what's her name ..ohhhh god she annoyed me . 90% of the movie was very enjoyable the kids were awesome . Loved the fights and the bad guy ... everything else was superbe !!!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that was truly stunning. Annoyingly as usual with this stuff Im sat there gawping at it from a technical standpoint some of the time ( they seem to have made huge leaps with cloth for example. The way fabric folded around arm creases etc was amazing ) but it didnt take away from my enjoyment of it. As ever with PIXAR though, none of it would have carried without a really compelling story. Of course it was only a trailer, but Cars looked incredibly weak up against it. I just dont see how theres enough 'mileage' in the concept to carry an entire film. But yeah, Pixar have done it again with The Incredibles.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    For the love of all that is holey, hurry up and bring it out in Australia. Gaaaaaarrrgh
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna jump in again here, just to totally disagree with pogonip, and once again agree with Scott.
    I thought Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter did a great job as the voices.
    And Bounding, though incredible to look at just didn' do it for me.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i will back that up, i was skeptical about coach at first, but man he was soooooooooooo o o o o o good in this movie, all the voices were good, only one i didnt care for was jason lee as syndrome, and its a really weird reason why i didnt like him. since the first time i just saw the pic of the character of him on teaser pics, i imagined he would be voiced by john lithgow.. i'm not sure why.. maybe it was the similarity of the characters srndrome and lithgows Dr. Lizardo from buckaroo banzai, bounding was one of the better looking shorts. but yes it seemed like a morale being pushed on you verry abruptly in a silly way.
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    *Grumble mutter groan*

And the release in the UK was held until the 8th of December because??? They don't have enough problems with piracy as it is?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hope I don't enjoy it just so I can be be different.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    26th november jon, only 2 weeks...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    saw it yesterday. everyone's covered the fine details so ill just say two words:

fuckin incredible smile.gif

oh, and there was this silly little teaser for some Star Wars movie or something...
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Elasta girl = MILF ! wohooooooooooooo!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.theonionavclub.com/feature/index.php?issue=4044

interview with Brad Bird! laugh.gif

(going to see the incredibles later this week)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Cool interview.. hey that face shot looks alot like Symdromes face. I wonder if they modeled him after Brad bird.

And One of my favorite things about this movie was.. The family. The interaction with each other. The small arguements, the mom and dad fighting, making up and becoming a team. I walked away with satisfaction that is was a family movie, about a family.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, i loved it.

its kinda wierd, but im strangly attracted to Elasta-Girl. Shes H-O-T!
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    Elastagirl IS hawt. nice rump. movie would have been better if my girlfriend wasn't grabbing my leg or arm or slapping me whenever something cool was going on.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I just need to chime in here and say how amazed I was.
    I went in expecting something great, because I've liked all the previous Pixar films, and I have such an afinity for comic books.
    This movie exceeded those expectations. I'll no doubt try to catch this in the theater again. Just utterly amazing. Great voicework, great animation/rendering. Just jaw-dropping.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit! Still have to wait until the end of the month before it's released here frown.gif
    For once I would like a movie to be released here first so I can go "OMFG OMFG OMFG IT RULED". Fat chance smile.gif
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    What can I say that hasn't been said.

I wonder if Pixar was at all inspired by Dragon Ball Z for Syndrome, Survey says yes, Id imagine.

there where some points, like syndrome overlooking the cliff over the water, where.. it was 100% realistic looking, even with the cartoonish proportions.

I love the work of brad bird and I loved Iron Giant. I hope he gets to make Raygun tho.

As far as Morals being pushed on you.

Pixar is the new Disney and part of what made Disney, Disney back in the day was the heart involved, they gave you morals but in an interesting and pleasing way. Heartwarming even.

I am interested to see what pixar does in the future in the fields of 3d and 2d (yes 2d) animation.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    This is the best film i have seen all year at the cinema, the best superhero film produced and Pixar's best work to date.

I simply loved it and will be returning for at least one more repeat viewing. There's just so much in there, and its packed with the stuff you all know and love because Pixar are our type of people making films for our type of people.

I could go on for a considerable degree as aside from it being such a great geeks homage to the history of the hero ( and i mean from mythology onwards) it was also a great family movie in that it was essentially about a family and how all the facets of being raised or raising a family are.

That family aspect with a spin really surprised me, I wasn't expecting it to go as far as it did but I was pleased to be surprised.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Best movie I've seen in a while. I'll probably go see it again in a day or too- there's just so much packed into this movie. MUST OWN DVD. BTW, Elasta-Girl is indeed way sexy; I think it has something to do with how bendy she is.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, it was awesome. Can't wait for the DVD. It better have a shitload of extras.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Scott summed it up pretty succintly: "the Pixar quality is solid and dense as a diamond. Go see it."

Not only is it a triumph for Pixar, but for Brad Bird. I didn't know his name even though I saw and loved the Iron Giant (which was written by him), which I know is a popular film among polycounters but overlooked generally. After that studio closed down I wondered if we'd ever see an animated film of that kind of nature and dramatic caliber, and here we have the Incredibles.

As in the interview I posted the link to above, Bird makes a good point that the Incredibles is animated, but that's an incidental detail to it being a great story. All the naysayers who said people wouldn't go see CG films miss the point: people will go to see good stories. It just so happens that the medium is particularly equipped to tell the story in a breathtaking way smile.gif Pixar's at full steam both technically and artistically (Nemo, while gorgeous, did not interest me as much story-wise), and with Bird at the helm it's a grand slam. I hope this is the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship--if Bird doesn't write and direct more Pixar projects I'll be very disappointed.

And as Daz and Scott have mentioned, it's hard not to get completely caught up in just the animation itself. I also noticed the cloth simulation really kicked up a notch in the film, and the 60's style evil lair was immaculately realized (funny how the Incredibles seemed to be both a great superhero film -and- a great spy-type movie?)... but honestly the two things that impressed me the most were: 1.) the office environment and very specific use of color were breathtaking in an extremely subtle way, and 2.) the expressiveness of the character animation, particularly Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl. When Elastigirl sits down and tucks her hair behind an ear or other such tiny tiny secondary motions we don't notice about people but are always there, that's what made the characters live for me.

The best movies really drag you wholesale into the experience, and Incredibles did just that. I left the theatre suddenly back in my own skin; for nearly 2 hours I had been completely somewhere else. And even though I was conscious of things (great animation, wonderful design everywhere (robots and the badguy grunt spinner-gyroscope attack crafts especially)), nothing kept me from intellectually or emotionally 'surfacing' from the film, which is something I almost always do. Bravo to Pixar and Brad Bird.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Best film I've seen involving supersuits - even though these are only cg-art! laugh.gif
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Breathtaking movie, I can't get over how well the animation was. The only small, ultra small nitpick I had was to why their noses weren't beveled in but a tad. You could see where the nostril ended and that was weird; maybe a style preference.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well when they've worked on those character models each about a year +, i'd sure hope that's a stylistic touch smile.gif