Home General Discussion

"Utilize CAD to Design, develop"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Is this the future we are seeing here? Or just an anomaly?

[ QUOTE ]
Responsible for conceptualizing, modeling and texturing to create 3D Architectural environments for real time action video games. Utilize CAD to Design, develop and construct 3D Levels. Construct 3D environments with an understanding of mapping, scale proportion and lighting

[/ QUOTE ]

http://seattle.craigslist.org/med/47703436.html

Replies

• Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Let's hope so - I write CAD applications laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, what a pain in the ass. Now everything will have to follow exact mathmatical designs?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my first response was tongue in cheek. Of course you need CAD skills to make levels. Worldcraft and any other level design program is a CAD app. Did you think they were referring to AutoCAD, maybe?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computer Aided Drafting.. So I assume Autocad. Else why not list the "game" CAD program they use (Ie Radiant, or UT editor)? Especially since I thought employees want people who know a particular level editor/designer.

So I would again, have assumed they meant Autocad as they make no particulars? (Especially with "3D Architectural environments")
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have assumed AutoCAD too. If so, that's an absolutely cumbersome program to try and design a level with, unless they have an add on package that allows for easier creation of basic 3D shapes and allows for easy deformation.

The company I work for, we write add-on's for AutoCAD, for industrial piping, HVAC and electrical applications. You can design some pretty intricate 3D plant models using it, and I could see where somebody could write an app similarly for game design. I don't know if that was what they had in mind in their writeup though.