Home General Discussion

HL2 or Halo 2 Which will be the big seller?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
Next Week Halo 2 for the console, and he following week Halflife 2 for the P.C. will be on sale, OPne of the wags around here says that Halo 2 will outsell Halflife 2 by five times. Is he on crack or an astute marketing genius? Me? I'm buying HL 2 because I don't own a console.

Scott

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Halo 2 for both. I've never played Halflife and couldn't care less about the sequel. plus i prefer consoles for gaming.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Console games always vastly outsell PC games. Predictions for GTA: San Andreas are around the insane 18 million mark. Which is staggering but not unachievable. I dont think a PC game has ever come close to that number. ( could be wrong here )

I'll probably pick up HL2 the second its around. Edge gave it 10/10. The pcgamer review ( 98% ) really renewed my interest in it. Ive been waiting a loooong time, and I think the whole Orwellian world and its story is just really compelling.

I'll hold off on Halo2 for a bit til I hear more about it. Too much other stuff to play right now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, interesting that the 3 people who said they wanted HL2 more, said that Halo 2 will sell more.

I am one of those 3! I think it's probably true. More people buy games for consoles these days, and while both HL2 and Halo2 are hotly anticipated and will both sell hugely, I think the mere fact that HL2 is not a console game will mean it doesn't shift as many units.

But you never know!

MoP
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've not interest in Halo 2, didn't have much interest in the first Halo. I can't grasp FPS's for consoles - just doesn't work for me.

I'm a huge fan of Half-Life and the mod community. Aswell as Valve's support for that community - which cannot be said for Halo (and I'm sure the same could/will be said for Halo 2). As for number of units sold, that'll go to Halo 2 I'm sure... as someone has already pointed out console titles always sell more than PC titles.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit Scott, where's the "you can choose both" option for the second question? tongue.gif

(i've already preordered both)... as to which i want to play more... well, halo's next week.. so that's taking my top position for right now... depending on how fast i get through it (especially with the amount of my time dedicated to GTA:SA currently), we shall see...

but then again, i (currently) am able to get at steam on my work pc, and it plays CS:S amazingly well, so i may get in HL2 at work and H2 at home... we shall see....

on another note.. i forsee HL2 outselling Halo 2 in the long run... Halo 2's only for xbox (until it comes out for PC), it's really only a one shot deal.. HL2's gonna keep selling for a long while due to add-ons and people slowly upgrading to spec.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    hl2 for both, you've got the people after a half-life sequel, plus all the cs psychos. half-life (including the expansion packs, which i don't think should count) sold 8 million copies, halo sold 5 million, so we'll probably see figures around the same.
    looking forward to hl2 more simply because the first was great, except for xen. and it's got a gravity gun.
    didn't like halo as much as some people did, hopefully the sequel will be pleasantly surprising, shame they've not done away with the stupid two gun limit, though.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i put halo2 for both. console games tend to sell more then pc games these days, especially big name console games. halo 2 has over 1.5 million pre-orders, and pre-orders tend to make up only about 10% or so of total sales. half-life will be big, but not halo 2 big.

and i didnt really like half life 1 but loved halo so im looking forward to halo more.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    halo still sells in the 100k range everymonth....

more people have access to it, while others will need to spend more money to get their home system up to HL2's min specs.

they both are going to sell like monsters though.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i voted that i'm looking forward to HL2 more, but that halo 2 will definitely sell better. it's just reaching a broader audience, as gabe on PA pointed out, Halo wasn't the greatest FPS ever seen but it was one of the first ones that a lot of newer gamers out there have really been exposed to. so i think devotion goes a long way; halo was the 'first' for a lot of people and it means a lot to them because of it, in addition to all the people who just think that halo was a good game.

i'm hoping that valve is able to sell a lot of copies on steam (they got my money) and that it actually goes to valve instead of VU.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    ooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo.....

I can feel Cortona inside of me already....
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo.....

I can feel Cortona inside of me already....

[/ QUOTE ]

thats my penis
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    the console game will always win since pc games can more easily be pirated and distrubuted over the internet, hell there is already a workin method to play cs source on steam for free without even using steam, no doubt hl2 will also fall under the same fate, which will hurt its number of copies sold
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the console game will always win since pc games can more easily be pirated and distrubuted over the internet, hell there is already a workin method to play cs source on steam for free without even using steam, no doubt hl2 will also fall under the same fate, which will hurt its number of copies sold

[/ QUOTE ]

I would totally agree with you, but the xbox is NOT a console. Microsoft would like you to think that it is though. smile.gif
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    I can't be bothered to care either way. I was never impressed by Halo, and I'm not impressed by Half-Life 2 either. Hell I'll probably end up neve rplaying either of them tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Halo 2 is the sequel to the (IMO awful) only game the XBox had for a long time. HL 2 is the sequel to the mst popular online game available...
    I'd bet on HL2 since the XBox has a smaller userbase (GTASA was on the PS2 which outsold the XBox by about 250%) and because of the CS junkies.

I don't have an XBox so I'm not interested in Halo 2 (well, okay, that and the fact that I consider Halo 1 a bad game). HL2 isn't high on my interest list, either, but unlike Halo 2 I might get it for the mods.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I am looking forward to HL2. I wasn't too fond of Halo but then again that was the first time I ever tried a FPS on a console.
    HL2 I am buying blind but Halo 2 I wanna testride first before I will buy spend 60 Euros on it.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would totally agree with you, but the xbox is NOT a console. Microsoft would like you to think that it is though. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yawn, look who is trying to be clever...
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Parents buy console games for kids for Christmas. Gamers buy PC games for other gamers for Christmas. Halo 2 will outsell HL2, but that in no way makes it a better game; it's just more accessable.

Frank the Avenger
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gamers also buy console games for each other. That whole "PC is for gamers, console is for children" stuff is propaganda spewed forth by PC fanboys.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Even if gamers buy console games for other gamers, parents buy more of them and gamers buy less of them, since they also buy PC games.

And I didn't say anything about consoles being for children, just that parents find them more accessable. Parents might see it as consoles are for kids, like cartoons, but I don't see how that makes me a PC fanboy.

Frank the Avenger
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it has a controller, you install nothing, and it hooks into your tv. it's a console.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'll bite. Explain to me exactly why the Xbox isn't a console. I hope this is something more interesting than "it has a hard drive" or "it runs Windows".
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    its made by m$... things made by m$ only have one purpose... to weaken the human resistence when Bill Gates releases his army of clone soldiers...
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Alright, I'll bite. Explain to me exactly why the Xbox isn't a console. I hope this is something more interesting than "it has a hard drive" or "it runs Windows".

[/ QUOTE ]

i also need to hear this, better be something better than M$ IS TEH EVAL!!!!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An unmodified XBox is a console but a PS2 isn't. A modified XBox probably counts as a PC as well.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    If it doesn't have a keyboard, a mouse, your tv is the monitor and you can sit on the couch while playing a game then it is a console DOT laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are keyboard and mouse options available for the PS2 and XBox, the GC has only a keyboard.
    But then again I can play my PC on the TV from my "couch" using a gamepad...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I had a mouse for my PS1, and a keyboard for PSO2 on my gamecube - they are still consoles...right?
  • Daz
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    its made by m$... things made by m$ only have one purpose... to weaken the human resistence when Bill Gates releases his army of clone soldiers...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you were joking, but I hate it when people use the "M$" thing. It's so stupid, you could just as easily use "$ony;" they're both huge corporations who only care about making a profit. The only console companies I used to respect were SEGA and the big N, because they were dedicated to games and nothing else.

I've always had a grudge against SCE because of what happened with the Saturn and then the Dreamcast (which was actually a pretty successful console to begin with, despite all of the Sony fanboys screaming, "OMG U R JUST WASTING YOUR $$$ BECAUSE THE PS2 IS GOING TO BLOW IT AWAY"). Of course, and then after the Xbox came out and blew the PS2 away in technical specifications, all of a sudden it became about the games and not the hardware with the Sony fanboys :rolleyes:.

After the Dreamcast, I almost completely lost interest in consoles. My parents bought me an Xbox a few Christmases ago, but I rarely play it (I only play sports/racing games, as I believe those are the only types of games that are generally better on consoles).
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyser you are wise beyond your years.
  • Frankie V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    Well we can assume that those that are posting here are doing so from a PC so would probably be more interested in HL2 over Halo 2. However there are far more counsel players than there are PC based players so from a shear numbers point of view Halo will probably sell far more “initial” units on release date.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyser: "Used to" sounds like you don't anymore, where did Nintendo trip up?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Oh no, the "used to" was mainly directed towards SEGA, which no longer makes consoles frown.gif (I still have plenty of respect for SEGA as a 3rd-party developer, but I was referring to console companies specifically). I don't really have any feelings towards Nintendo one way or the other, since I'm not really into consoles anymore, but from what I've read their 1st-party development is still pretty top notch (so no lack of respect there).

I think SEGA leaving the console business, in addition to me becoming more involved in PC gaming, is what made me lose interest in consoles. At the moment I'm in a bit of a gaming purgatory, seeing as my PC is getting to the point where it can no longer play the newest games at a satisfactory level (and I don't have the money to upgrade atm).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Thats why I love consoles - the games come for the system, and in 2 years the games for the same console will play on it, unlike my PC where I have to spend 200 quid a year just to have it be able to play the newset games.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    There is no comparision, HL2 will out sell Halo2 in massive amounts. It all comes down to common sense really. You have to compare how many people own xbox over how many people own a computer.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To how many own a computer and actually play FPS games. Many people only browse the internet and write a few letters on their PC. But then again some people only watch movies on their Xbox...
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I must disagree MP...I saw a figure somewhere that showed the average PC game will sell about 100K copies and the average console about 700-900K. Game companies that cater to the PC only have alot higher profit margins than consoles because the console mfrs. take a huge chunk of the profit as part of their license agreement, but the developer makes up for it in sheer volume. As for how many people own a computer vs console, PCs can be used for games and everything else whereas consoles are used just for games. Only a small fraction of PCs are even used for gaming.