Home Technical Talk

New animation for Quake II (MD2) model

firlefanz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
firlefanz polycounter lvl 18
Hello,

I have an existing MD2 model. The problem is it seems this models cannot run and shoot at the same time, right?

So I downloaded Milkshape 3D and now I want to do the following:

Take the legs from the 'Running' animation, and copy them into the animation for 'Shooting'. I want to have a new animation running and shooting at the same time.

How can I do this? Should I use Milkshape or another tool for it? Can somebody please tell me the easiest way to do this?

Thanks a lot,

Firlefanz

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    MD2 uses vertex animation, MS3d doesn't do that. You have to animate it from scratch or forget about it.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    There wasn't any skeletal animation in Quake 2 right (been a while)

Therefore, one and only one animation plays. so if you animate a guy running and shooting for the fire animation, he'll be running, yet standing still when you fire while standing, which would look worst then 'sliding' and firing when shooting.

Was that confusing?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I love that gumby effect.

Q3A solved this by splitting the model in 3 pieces, however Q2 has pretty much the same structure as Q1 models (just a bit more warpier, and supprots external PCX's) so it's rather primitive vertex animation. Being Quake2, where everything is animated by fixed frame macros, you'll have to deal with that.
  • firlefanz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firlefanz polycounter lvl 18
    Hello,

thanks for the infos. I already thought this is not possible or very hard to do. Too bad, but I can live with that fact. wink.gif

Firle