Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Modeling for an MMORPG

TimmY.J
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TimmY.J polycounter lvl 18
Don’t know if this is the right place to post but I have seen the average quality of work at Ploycount and its beyond a lot I have seen, anyway I am looking for a moddler to help with a new MMORPG called Mithran, there is no payment as we are trying to make the game cheep so the money made off it will pay for the server and so on. The style of the game is Chibi like R.O.S.E Online and Seal Online. If you want to help with a fun project please contact me, keep in mind this project is for fun, we are not trying to go main stream with the game or anything (we have had problems with people thinking it was all about the money)

Contact me on:
e-mail: dark_creature12@hotmail.com
MSN: dark_creature12@hotmail.com
AIM: underscore87

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sprites or models? If models, what poly range?
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    models, gimme a minute i'll get it now, also looking for a texturer, so if you can texturer that would be a bonus but its not vital

ok here is what they said on the mmorpg creation tools website that were useing: 1000 polys for a character. 100 - 200 polys (preferably less) each for hair, equipment, weapons, etc. We create Higher poly models (2500 poly) and then optomize them.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimizing higher poly models? Sounds like a big waste of time to me, it's faster to work with less polies and the result is cleaner.

Well, anyway, sounds like an interesting project. I'm not that good at texturing but I'm working on that. What about tool support, does the thingie take common formats or do you need specialized exporters that are most likely not available for Blender?
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll check now, do you hvae any way of contact other than this forum? MSN, aim, yim, or something?
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender is fine the team head says
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have ICQ, 225 632 640.

Good, so far all the interesting jobs had requirements like 3d Studio MAX, which I don't have...
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i added u on ICQ, talk on there
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my icq is 210-533-181
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Knowing what file formats you would like them in woudl help and maybe some idea of weapons and equipment and concept art would be realy helpfull if any one wanted to donate.
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll get all the details and link up to some concept art tomorow, for now anyone who wishes to help out, please contact me though 1 of the ways I have already said. Any models or textures or anything used in the game will be credited and thankyou to anyone who wants to help.
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I'm not shore what model files the tool uses (I don't deal with that side of things) but on the Realm Crafter forums (RC being the MMORPG creation tool we will be useing) it recomends this modeling tool as a cheep tool for making game models, I'm not saying buy this but the sight might say what model files it uses because whatever the are RC uses, I'll try to find out what files it is compatible with tomorow thoe

Model Tool Site : http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html

Realm Crafter : http://www.mmorpgce.com/
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Milkshape sucks major ass, that program is one big hunk of crap. Why can't those people write into their FAQ which formats they support?
    I hope for your animators that they're not animating in Milkshape. Blender is SO superior to that POS, it's almost an insult that MS3d costs 30 bucks while Blender is free. If you cannot compete with the opensource implementation you're in the wrong business.

[ QUOTE ]
    What can I *not* do with RealmCrafter?
    You cannot:
    1. Give away or sell the engine code.
    2. Include the model media or source code in any sort of library or bundle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, WTF? Either they need a lawyer to work on their wording or they're claiming ownership to any assets you create for the engine. I'm guessing the former but they should really be more careful.

Also, it doesn't strike me as paticularly smart to write a toolbox you wish to sell in Blitz... Engines are supposed to be as lowlevel as possible and hearing excuses in the FAQ like "that's not possible with Blitz" makes me angry. No language should restrict what the user wishes to do with it! If the coder wishes to make individual GL calls, let him, if the coder wants to reimplement the draw function, let him!
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok....u seem to b on an attack on RC...tbh i dont care if they have done somehtign badly, as long as its a simple to use tool allowing people to make MMORPGs as they have always wanted to do.
  • TimmY.J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok this is the model files it supports:

1. B3D : Prefered Format
    2. X
    3. 3DS

as for concept art, I don't have any online I can link too (no webspace) but we NEED weapons, not the basic swords and axes but more odd weapons too like claws, yoyos (aztecks used them as weapons!), and clubs. Also as this is a chibi game give them a toony feel, or they wont fit in too well.

Hope this helps and remember if you send us a model please send it with a screen shot (not vital but helps) and details about you so we can credit you in the game!