Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Absramechanics - updated

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swampbug polycounter lvl 18
If you've seen my absract organics, Here's a taste of some mechanical. I just started a new sketch book. I plan to fill the whole thing with this type of material.

Maybe I'll finish up some of these one day.. color them. or make them a slightly more presentable.

Starting with the one I made yesterday night on a campus coffee shop. ( images go from newest to oldest)

ams_5.jpg

ams_4.jpg

ams_3.jpg

ams_2.jpg

ams_1.jpg

And some older ones from a year ago. that got me thinking this way.

oldams_1.jpg

oldams_2.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    VERY cool. I like these just as much as the organic masses. The last 2 are my favourite.
    Nice sense of volume in all of them. The first few seem tending more towards the organic than the mechanical though.
    What size paper are they on? A4?

MoP
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I agree mostly with MoP on this one, it's really great imaginative stuff which is seriously lacking today. I love number 3 the most, looks like a WMD, the first old one is also really gud, has a futuristic feel to it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Those are awesome - very creative. Very inspirational too, can get some good ideas outta it.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff, alot of creativity goes into that shit.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It would be interesting to see what you would do with a Mech design using this kind of thinking, maybe some kind of mechanical/organic beast machine.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what the hell I'm looking at...but it's really cool. I feel like an auto mechanic on crack.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoy the first three the most, it's like seeing a device with ignorance. I imgaine it's how a dog would see mechanical devices. Now that I mention it, I wonder if those things are chewy..
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    I really wish I could be imaginative enough to think and draw things like that. Unfortanately, I'm absolutely terrible at being able to imagine things for concepts. I'm terrible at coming up with ideas for different sorts of cahracters and designs. I just sit with a paper and pencil and start thinking, but nothing happens.

The problem I Get into is that I try thinking things like "Well, what function will the thing serve? What will it be able to do?" I end up with nothing besides generic looking crap. Ah well.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    just great man. may i ask how you go about starting one of these things?
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Aye!
    I'd also like to know what process you went about creating these. Reminds me when I'd start off with just a bunch of light loose random like scribbles, and look for organic forms in it.
  • Daedalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daedalus polycounter lvl 18
    i really don't know what i'm looking at but man i'm enjoying it wink.gif look very interresting especialy the 3 first one.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Cool work, could be more functional (i mean they lack any sort of parts that COULD move)
    The 3rd one was inspired by genitals? :P
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Inspirational stuff.
    I really like the first one.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOp- I'm using a small sketch book with like. almost like a 6 x 9 inch paper size. The sketch book is a borders Bookstore sketchbook. Has a velvety cover to it, and its like 4.99. :P And for anyone whos wondering. The brown color is a Brown pencil lead. .9 mm leads. Its almost like color pencil, but very hard. Not the best for making dark areas. Have to push really hard.

Razor, hey thanks. I love pushing myself to come up with new stuff. And its excellent that you see stuff in the images. Thats a major part of thier intention. You see what you see. Different people may see different things.

If you draw a sword.. well. thats it. Its a sword.

thanks Adam. Theres no doubt I have my eyes on certain shapes I've created to use for possible future stuff.

JDinges- much appreciated!... These drawings are a major brain excersize. smile.gif

FatAssasin- I may take one of these someday and make an actual design from it, who knows. I'm more stoked on making stuff that cant exsist because it has no real function. smile.gif

ElysiumGX- hahah thats awesome. Probably the exact reaction I was looking for.

Killingpeople- Interresting way of describing the images. "like seeing a device with ignorance" really cool when i thought about it.

eepberries- Ahh man, dont get so down. If you find it hard concepting things.. You may build up some confidence by starting from the basics. Making cool shapes and 3d volumes. Start with wierd scribbles and shapes.. and maybe it can turn into something.

Poop- yo dude! First.. I eat 2 cookies. then I do 17 situps.. then I comb my hair 50 tiems. then I'm ready to draw. :P

I seriously have no preplaned iteas at all. It all just comes to me on the fly. I dont make to many sketchy marks, I just say. This line is going here. then its going to stop. And now.. this same line must go behind this shape and connect back up here. But I gotta make it look cool too. ITs really just using my own judgement. The top image has some real intentional rhythem and swirling. Notice the thin nossle ( with 3 small stripes running on it) that positive spaced object is the same shape as the negitive space in the middle of the drawing. See if you can find it. I'm really tring to incorpertate from wierd stuff like that to make things interrresting for me. What im really doing is trying to force myself away from making a cool wierd drawing by accedent, and making a cool wierd drawing with everything done on purpose. At least everything ahs a reason in my head. Makes me happy as an artist.

Kman, thanks! above prolyl will answer that question a little.

Daedalus, Zeldrik - thanks guys hopefully I'll get some more doen soon.

Toomas- I will always move around I think. Making some that look more functional than others. I'll keep that in mind.

thanks everyone for the responces.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    those are rad man smile.gif

i really dig the arrows in the last one, maybe having some diagram like descriptions that also are 3d would be cool too... hehe dunno smile.gif

rad!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I have seen people trying to sell pictures of much less artistic value and craftmanship.

Great stuff.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    That is looking mighty sexy swamp. Reminds me a lot of DAIM. If you do or don't know who that is, take it as compliment:)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You know, I think your drawings have effected me alittle more than I'd like to admit: I'm pretty sure I just had a dream about some fucked up organic shape thing. I woke up and tried to explain it to my girlfriend but she just dismissed it as me having a weird dream. Hmm.

Also, I think I'd like to give a go at some drawings like this. They look like a good/fun outlet.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh.. here guys. Went out for a few hours drawing in a cafe on campus. ( i love the looks on students faces when they try to figure out what im drawing. )

ams_6.jpg

ams_7.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hahaha, I bet thats classic when they ask what is it. Well, as you can clearly see, it is an anal sex toy.

I really like your line control, you are able to get the changes in surface planes very well with just simple shading. Good control. You really should model one of these High poly, just because you can. 8-)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, awesome .. the designs look almost believable, and i know that's crazy. it's your mastery over volume that pulls it off. i likes!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be a nice thing to model. Maybe when I'm done with punisher I'll model something.

I was useing a 0.3mm lead on the last 2. Ran out so I used my 0.9 mm on this one. I must not like the .9 as much as I tended to rush a bit. but a rushed look is cool too. I hate falling into comfort zones.

new one.
    ams_8.jpg
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    second one in the second to last post reminds me of predator!

great work swampy! love the style!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, yeah, I see what Bruticus means - I also see Predator in that one...

The new one is very cool, nice use of coloured pens.
    Looking from top to bottom, the perspective seems a little weird, though. It creates an effect like the viewpoint is changing as you look at it, kinda weird but pretty cool. It's probably cos all the detail is at odd angles. I like it!

MoP
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
    I really like those pics, very organic looking...yet still distinctly mechanical.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another laugh.gif

ams_9.jpg

Thanks MOP, Bruticus and Smurf! ITs so cool how you see stuff that reminds you of things. Part of the reason I am drawing this is to create something that doesnt make complete sence. The viewer get to make his or her own sence from it.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    The perspective is indeed rather strange but I think it's an element that helps make it what it is.
    I'm really curious as to what the latest pic could do once it's plugged in smile.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    that one reminds me of some kind of droid soldier, turning away, I guess if you plugged it in you could gain information and details of the battle that ripped him in two.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    3rd one down makes me think of a track from wipeout on playstation only cooler smile.gif This stuff if right up my alley, very pleasant indeed.
  • SteVolition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SteVolition polycounter lvl 18
    I like em Swampy smile.gif Keep those creative juices flowing. How about modelling one?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahah steve! awesome name. and thanks.

New ones too..

Slighty more.. videogame mech looking some of them, but still abstract.

Peace

ams_10.jpg

ams_11.jpg

ams_12.jpg

ams_13.jpg
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah.. I havnt been super gung ho or anything.. but here are 3 new ones. I like 14, but the last two are so so. Well you be the judges. Now im off to work on my diahrea explosion toilet 9000. Confussed.. so am I.

ams_14.jpg

ams_15.jpg

ams_16.jpg
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :::Gil voice:: RESURECTION !!!!!!

I've made a few recently. Sometimes I just get a bad start on one and it doesnt render as well as I'd liked. But you keep it anyway and live with it. Here's a few new ones. Its funny when i look back at some of my older drawings and wonder.. shit!, how did I do that? funny.

ams_17.jpg

ams_18.jpg

ams_19.jpg

ams_20.jpg

ams_21.jpg

ams_22.jpg

-TOR!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    man.. these rock. really nice, creative stuff. right up my alley.