Home Technical Talk

From 3D App A to 3D App B... EX: Max to XSI

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi. The focus of this thread is to help artist out there, like me, go from one 3D App to another by discussing the methods on how to do tasks like modeling, texturing, and animating. I would like Max users for example, to explain how they do things quickly. Then say a Maya or XSI user to explain how to do the same thing. The idea is to expose the quick methods these apps have to do things so artist don't spend weeks figuring out basic shit, and so you don't hear the damn flame wars that one app is better than that one cause, blah, blah.... All these apps are just tools and it be nice to learn sweet quick methods on how to do things so they are not a pain in the arse to use. I would like to know what you think.

Modeling Setup:

In 3D Studio Max

Loading blueprints onto planes to aid in 3D modeling.

1. I create a plane in top view.
2. Press M to bring up the material editor.
3. Click on the little box besides where it says Diffuse.
4. Select the bitmap from the Material/Map browser window.
5. Find the image you wantto use as a blueprint. That option is under the Bitmap parameters. It may be closed for some weird reason so if you don't see it read a little and open it.;)
6. Click on the view image button in the Crop/Placement area so you can see the dimensions of your image. To see the dimensions just right click and hold to see the dimensions of your picture.
7. Apply the material by selecting your plane and pressing the Assign Material icon. It's the button with a small blue sphere with a black arrow pointing to a white square.
8. To see the material in your viewports go to flat shaded mode by hitting F3 and then turn on the material by hitting the Show map in viewport button. It's the button with a cube that has blue and white checkers on it.
9. I do the same for side and front view. You can create copies of materials by just dragging one you made to another sphere in the material editor.

In XSI

1. Create a grid by going to Primitive/polygon mesh/grid. If you don't want to see any parameters for the object just hold crtl when you select grid.
2. Press 3 to go to the Render Tool bar. Go under Material and select Phong to assign that material type for example.
3. Go to Property/ Texture Projection/Unique UVs to assign UV coordinates to the plane. This is similar to adding a UV map modifier to an object in Max. It actually does the same thing as adding an Unwrap mod and then adding a planar mapping inside the Unwarp window. You see the separate uv islands...
4. To assign the image you go under Texture/Clip/noIcon_clip. That opens the Scene material. It will ask you if you want to create a local material for the object. Say yes. In XSI all objects are mapped with the same global material.
5. To find the image you want click on the new button and select new from file. Browse for your blueprint. To switch back and forth from wireframe to shaded view just middle mouse click where it says wireframe on the viewport.
6. To make sure the image is aligned correctly adjust the uv coordinates. Go to Aplication/Views/Texture Editor to open the editor. Edit if necessary. Scroll your mouse over the buttons to read what they do.

I'm pretty new to XSI so I don't know the quickest way to do this, nor all the shortcuts. If there is a better way to add bitmaps to objects please let me know smile.gif

Well I hope this thread grows. Later and thanks in advance.

Alex

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good idea for a thread, Sage. I would add some Max -> Maya stuff, but I don't have Maya at home at the moment and my memory is not THAT good. smile.gif
    But yes, here's me encouraging others to add to this - you never know when you might have to switch applications, if your workplace decides...