Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baby's first smudge painting!

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
okay, so this is my first time accually sitting down with a tablet and trying this smudge painting thing... This was about 2hours of work.... be gentle!

smudge1.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    hey there, the horns are the best part, nice and round. go easy on the smudge, too much and it looks too soft, as this is suffering from a bit. also every once in a while, flip your canvas, and look at it zoomed way out. its feeling kind of flat as an overall volume, and if you look at it from far out it will make that apparent. keep it up man.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my 2 cents:
    <font color="yellow">FORM 1st!</font> (then lighting [which i didn't show]) <font color="red">then TEXTURE!</font>

smudge_crit.jpg

how are you using the smudge tool? are you using it to create values?
    do it this way instead:

[ QUOTE ]
    while using the brush tool, if you hit alt, the brush tool will turn into the eyedropper tool and you can select a color, release alt and paint with your brush.

i use all this for blending. like in this next demo i made for all of you, i have two colors and i select one of the colors and mark it on the other at - in this case at 50%. i select that color and undo = ctrl+z. make a mark in the center at 100%, then add two more marks on its edges at 50%, select an edge's color and repeat the process. then i lower my opacity to 20% and go to town.

[/ QUOTE ]

tutorial2.gif
    then if you wanted an even smoother gradient, touch it up with the smudge.

love,
    -kp
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of looks like a stained glass window, which is cool if that's what you're going for. If not, then listen to kp.
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for that feedback guys, especially KP.... as i said this is my first time even touching a tablet for an extended period... took me a few passes just to get the hang of making forms in general smile.gif

The smudge tool accually was used a lot more for blending in this case, but as far as laying down some of the main forms, it was also used like a smudge stick with charcoal... there's a fun lil tutorial on one of the cottage websites... can't remember who's, and i showed one of my teachers and soon she had all her classes trying it out..
    it was more of an excersize in making textures, but we made a monster since it was halloween wink.gif

so in that sense yeah, I didnt really concentrate on an overall lightsource... more on how to start with simple forms with a tablet and then work my way down to details, and then color.

what you put there was helpfull tho KP, ill keep that in mind for my next trip to tablet town laugh.gif.
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a couple additions: i think it didn't quite read very well that he has sort of a bulldog-like muzzle... here's sorta what i mean: smudge_thumb.jpg
    the top "lip" hangs over the bottom, and the bottom "lip" undercuts and sticks out... like bubba from forrest gump.

so, i revisited the lighting some (as much as I could at this stage without making it look worse).
    smudge2.jpg
  • IceWolve
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that looks awesome. I need to learn to do that.