Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Egyptian sorta skin

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
Here is a skin that I was working on and off recently whilst taking a break from my diablo model.

The model is by my mate Rastus!

untitled-1_173.jpg

Crits are more than welcome! ill post flats once my host stops hating me :<

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Extreamly cool!
    I love your stuff.

I know its wip but a little more contrast in the grey areas would help smile.gif
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I really like this skin, man. Gold is a hard metal to pull off effectively but it looks like you've nailed it. I don't mean to just spout off your "everyday cliche crit" here but maybe if you were to scratch up the edges even a small amount around the areas that actually would get scratched (ie. the forearm and foot bits), it would add a great deal of realism. JES DO POST FLATS!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys laugh.gif

n30g3n3s1s: I'll try and get that contrast thing going laugh.gif!

Matabus: I tried doing some scratchies after reading your post but cant manage 2 get it done very well frown.gif any tips?

I found somewhere 2 upload! Heres the flats:

smallsgg.jpg

Heres my attempt at the scratchies ;/ :
    smallsc.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I find the best way to pull off a nice gold is to start with a dark orange brown and start pulling off lighter orange to yellow highlights with a bit of white specular. rather than starting with yellow. To me your skin comes of a bit Bumble Beeish. It dosent immeditley register as gold.
    But it is a great model and a good start!
    Also try to inlay some jewels into his collar and gauntlets. Look at ancient egyptian jewelry for refrence, Like the king tut mask, man that's got jewels inlaid up the butt!
    Release an sdk! Id love to have a go at this guy!
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    very well done smo, I like the simpleness of the skin as well as all the detial you put in it. Nice work smile.gif.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice shading and really clean style, maybe even too clean you might want to try some overlays on there for a bit more detail
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Aw it's like a chocobo head blush.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great start!!!. I think the best aspects are the design, the pattern, and the overall volume. The things I have problem with is the color variation, or lack there of, the skin tones are too monochromatic, and the thighs dont seem very defined. If i were you I would try to break up the black and yellow with some discoloration, or more variation in the highlight shadow and terminator colors. The gold is looking better now with the scratches however. the muscles on the thighs could use some refinement, and make areas sharper in contrast, and some smoother. Sorry my critique ran all together, but hope it helped.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *explodes*

thanks! ill try and see if i get lucky laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I like the scratches - but they have no depth. Need to paint on some high and low lights near the edges to bring them out a little more. I painted up an example for you. It's subtle, but it'll help.

scratches.jpg
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So far pretty cool looking. One of the things I noticed though when looking at your texture flats is that the tattoo on his arm is flat black. If you want to, you can set the tattoo layer to multiply, drop the Fill opacity down a little (so you can see some of the underlying arm texture, but not to much), then add a Layer Style of Inner Glow, color Black, blend type set to Multiply. See how that looks smile.gif
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awwwwwwwwwwww wicked! thanks adam laugh.gif

and I'll give that a try thanks illusions!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on man. Make sure you post your progress aswell! Keepin' an eye on this one.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    as for the tattoo, yes set it to multiply, also know that a tatoo using black ink is only black for the first few days. It gradually turns into a dark blue color.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i would not go as extreme as adams examples, you don't want to look like it has a half inch of paint over it, should not be too much depth on chipped paint
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I suggested what I said 'cause they were looking more like scuff marks in some areas than scratches. Perhaps adding some specular to the scratches so they have *some depth to them would work. *shrug* Usually when the depth is done on a 1px size it shows up nicely on the skin.

Mooj da boob
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i just figured out what i thought were his eyes, aren't his eyes. for some reason i was reading the black circles as his large, confused eyes, giving him an oddly comical look.

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the specular highlights go over the tat as well?
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol now i see those things as eyes! damn u! ;>

I don't know if this is even worth posting but I thought I would show my progress anyway:

pewper9.jpg

Adam: Tried the depth thing you said but I don't think I did it aswell as you did :/.

Poopymaen: Again, tried what you suggested, even though I didn't understand half of what you said I tried anyway D:, any more suggestions ;o?

Illusions: Did he tattoo thing =D thanks looks alot ebtter now.

ghost_rider: I'll try and convince my mate 2 release model as an SDK :O so you guys can show me how its really done =D

Heres a comparison from the scratched skin I posted last time (left) and my attempt at an update (right):

smallscgtet.jpg
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Looks realy good, i realy like the color scheme.
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Well, to be honest, I liked the first skin better in that the gold bits really seemed to glow and demanded to be noticed. The newer pics seem somewhat bland in comparison.. but maybe it's just me smile.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    New ones looking ace, keep working at it smile.gif
  • Daedalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daedalus polycounter lvl 18
    nice color scheme you got here .
    too bad the symetry of the armband tattoo broke the overall look IMO
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sss2.jpg

a perty render :O... im really bored but have no motivation atm >_<!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, much better on the new version. Good depth addition to the scratches - and I like what you did with the tattoo.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool looking, sorta like some Neo-Stargate stuff. The lower half seems to be lacking in detail compared to the upper half, it may look a bit cooler if you got your friend to add in some more armor on the legs.

Though I also agree with ghost_rider about inlaying some small jewls
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool, now make him dirty! His skin looks way too soft and smoth, give him some grit.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    The tatoo though..... something a lil more of a african or maybe a off beat toltec design?