Home General Discussion

GTA:SA - favourite moments so far?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I know I have a thread about the game already - this post is for people, who have the game, to tell about stuff they've seen/done in the game (so far) that have stuck out in their minds.

I'll get the ball rollin':<ul type="square">[*] Getting in to the airport w/out having the proper flying skill, stealing the Dodo, and flying over the airspace of the other cities - only to get an immediate 4 star level and have *JETS* fly after me shooting missles and ultimately taking me down.
[*]Parachuting off the tallest building in the city you first start the game off in. Its a circular building and its the tallest in the downtown city. You can access the roof through an elevator at the bottom - the parachute is at the top of the building. Have fun!
[*]Modding my first car.
[*]Losing $500 in pool at "The Green Bottle" bar - only to kill the guy not 2 seconds later and get my money back. (The bar is at the end of your block in the first safe house you get).
[*]"Experiencing" the freeways for the first time. Go to one, get outta your car - leaving it in the middle of the freeway - and see how long ya last wink.gif
[/list]

So lets hear your stories!

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    heaing "itwas a good day" and "welcome to the jungle" in the same night. oh, and 'fantasic voyage" too... i almost shat myself with that one.

i didnt believe ya about the skydiving.... but i just tried it, and its freakin sweet. haha whats even better is not letting out your parachute until you get about halfway down or so smile.gif or base jumping onto a car on the freeway. haha fun stuff.

was doing some taxi missions tonight, and maxed my tip meeter by taking a sweet jump shortcut right when it was about empty. then instantly weaving around on coming traffic.

also, stealing one of the fast cars and riding against traffic on the freeways at night is a blast!
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone knows when SA will be out in PC in Europe?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    favorite moments so far:
    coming home from work to play GTA:SA every night til 2am since monday
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha ditto. too bad mine is 4am frown.gif

new favorite thing: getting on the freeway with a cycle, and doing a wheelie from upper los santos to the coast line. its even more fun going againsts traffic smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guest appearances are starting for me.. just met up with Catalina of GTA3 fame... and damn, she's an even bigger pain in the ass now that you have to work with her...
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    doing my first 4 peeps in a car drive by..... been trying to get into the airport but can't see where I can get in...... went along the highway surrounding the airport, found nowt but just as I found a wall that I thought I could walk along, a cop shot me, bastid :P

Didn't play it as much as I thought I would... though I did do an hour stint just before work and ended up being 5-10 mins late :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Chunkey, go to the gate where the guard tells you you'll need better flying skill to get in. Park a car next to the barrier wall, hope ontop of the car, then hop OVER the wall. Tah-dah!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    moose: hahaha, speaking of the soundtrack, I almost crapped myself when I heard "Funky Enough" by The D.O.C. and Ice Cube.

*bounces and rolls*
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Few things I've found:

Rick James is the host of Bounce FM.
    Axel Rose is the host of the classical rock station.
    Make sure you work out on a daily basis - you'll lose your muscle mass quickly if you do not. And eat regularily! Stick to the salad meals so you don't gain weight. Found this out the hard way.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that one song on KJAH West (thank you rockstar for bringing back that station!) that goes 'gonna send it to outer space, to find another race'.. havent heard that song in ages. love it

oh.. and the Monster Truck OWNS ALL.. it just drives *over* anything in its path... have yet to try out whether it floats (just like the Big Foot does).. if it does, hats off to Rockstar. if not, still rocks.

i *seriously* hope this game comes out sooner than later for pc, cause damn, i wanna make some vehicles for this game... the specular highlights on the vehicles are awesome, and the general quality of the cars is top notch.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit, how many missions in Los Santos do I have to do to get one of the other cities open? I'm 7% through the game and have done numerous missions for Sweet, Ryder, Big Smoke and OG, but I haven't even heard any clue as to when or how the other areas will open up.

Also, bit of a bitch about the game - something more effective needed to be done to keep players from getting into those off-limits areas. If you jack a plane and fly up to San Fierro, I've got no problem with the four star penalty. But I crashed my tour bus (hehe) into one of the rivers and ended up swimming myself to the far shore, the SF side of this particular river. My reward for this perfectly typical action, just swimming, was to be assassinated by a fucking army attack helicopter. Goddamn strict swimming laws they have in Los Santos! I understand the gameplay issue here, but seriously, that was kinda lame...
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Beating someone to death with a double-headed dildo.

The repletion is the one thing that stops me from playing. That is one thing that I wished that would change about the GTA series.

Leave the house. Find a car. Drive to that guy's house. Drive him to the action. Guy gets killed. Repeat.

And the DDR shit, I could do without too.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i started doing the gang wars stuff, and it actually is pretty cool, kinda psuedo RTS'y in a way.

It really shows how the AI really isnt all that bright though...

verm, each of em has about 4-5 missions, after the house party one, things start getting better.You start getting income from territories you own, take over enemy gang territories, and also defend your territories from other gangs. Its freakin hard though, haha i havent been able to take a zone other than the first one. dudes with SMG's tear you up.

and about the military killing ya, i much prefer how closing of zones was handled in san andreas over other versions (although the hurricane in the Vice city was great). There isnt really a 'hitch' as to why you cant go anywhere else... which is kinda lame. but its better than a fence that says "sorry not open yet." but i guess there re those too....
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, the "hitch" is at the beginning the cop tells you to not leave town - thus getting a 4* rating when you're in another town against what the cop told you.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, the "hitch" is at the beginning the cop tells you to not leave town - thus getting a 4* rating when you're in another town against what the cop told you.

Few questions for those who many know: In the city you first start off in, where's an ATV located? And flaagan where'd you get the monster truck?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    w00t, new ride:
    GTA_ride1.jpg
    GTA_ride2.jpg
    GTA_ride3.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    favorite moment.. when The Truth makes a quote from Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas..

WORST MOMENTS: all my mission-based conversations are f*ing up now, in some cases locking up the game..
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the gang wars thing isnt so challenging after all... when you use the AI against itself its pretty damn easy i found. Get an smg, watch the blips where the gang members spawn, run in the opposite direction far enough so they chase after ya, crouch and take them out in a single file line. heh. can do it without getting shot, and capture all territories in one strike. the tough part is finding the gangmembers to get the war going.

I just got to the badlands and all my territories dissapeared (100%), so im not sure if you can retake them or not.... gah it was a nice source of income smile.gif Pimp missions are fun enough though.

killing your girlfriend is a good plan too.

i found a 4 wheeler in the mountains, it handles horribly though frown.gif

the pimping missions are pretty fun, easy, and mindless smile.gif
    that truck is sweet, hahaha right on. smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Theres a nice Terminator 2 moment in one of the Big Smoke missions. Even gets the lighting just right.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    finding a bf injector down near where loc is, seeing gta3 guy and catalina, accidentally killing catalina by driving my quad off a hill, killing two weirdos who were talking about fucking a cat in the ass, talking to loc.
    the worst bits are the fucking retarded missions, like the ddr one and the rc plane. the assclown who came up with them should be shot.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The DDR ones are great smile.gif

The most stupid thing I have done was base jumped off the skyscraper and landed on top of another skyscraper. The parachute is a one off, so I was stranded and had to jump to my death.

This has really been my first chance to play it. My favourite pedestrian than I built is an old Mexican guy - he's baldish with a thick black 'tache, a blue checked shirt and a white vest, with tattoos on his arms. I also built all the old fat wimmen.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I think my PS2 drive is fucked. I unlocked the San Francisco city, and was cruising around. Then the world couldn't stream in and I was driving on an invisible highway, along with all the cars around me. Then the music skipped, and the game froze for a good two minutes. I threw my controller around for a bit (because I had done about 3~4 missions without saving) and it unfroze for a few seconds. Then froze. Then unfroze. Then went ot a black screen that said it couldn't read the disk. AARRRRGGGGG!!! DIE SHITTY PS2 DIE!!!!

Fun moments:

Doing what Rick did: landing on another building after teh base jump and having to suicide off of it.

Starting a gang war with 1/2 health and no weapons, AND SURVIVING! (ran around a corner, beat the first guy to death to steal his weapons to kill the rest, grab the health & armor pickups, etc).

Making a 19m shot in basketball (I was way off screen).

Noticing what the billboard says after you smash through it. (at the end of the mission that unlocks the next city)

Jacking a plane, flying over to "Vegas", bailing out while dodging rocket fire, pulling the shute at the last second, stealing a car, going into the Pay'N'Spray and finding out it doesn't work smile.gif

I like the fact that while the other cities are locked off, if you want to look around you can, for a short while. Much better than just locking them totally.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Whargoul I totally agree - I love that you can go there, to get a taste of it, but can't stay for along until you're 'offed'.

As for the PS2 locking up... its been happening to me aswell. I went to load my game this morning and when it was Loading Ganton it just say there, and did nothing. So I reset the machine. Tried loading it up again. This time it says I cannot load the data off the GTA:SA disk. So I open the CD tray - with the game still going and clean the disk off, throw it in, and it worked.

Friggen thing.
    BTW: How are yah Wharghoul?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahahah.... actually, that's Bigfoot (the Yeti is in the Himalayas), but hilariously cool. What part of SA is he found in?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Apparently near the east coast (juding by the map thats on the TV in that picture). I didn't take the picture, just found it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    oh man. i wonder if big foot would like to taste my AK.

or better yet, box big foot. now that'd be rad.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has anyone else gotten through the San Fiero garage missions yet? I just finished up the last two and those, plus any other mission i take now, are messing up.. the subtitled voices are locking up or garbled or not playing at all. I'm wondering if anyone else is getting this or if it's my PS2.. all other audio / visual stuff in the game plays fine except for cinematic-type audio / subtitles...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flaagan I've been having weird problems with loading. It'd sit there and just say "Gantos" for the loading screen and do nothing. So I reboot it, cleaned off the CD, and everything was fine. Also had a moment where it said it couldn't read any info off of the CD, so I opened and shut the tray with the game still running and it worked. *shrug*
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I found out it's not my drive, it's the disk. I brought it into work and played it, and it locked in the same spot. I popped the disk out (while it was running) and put in someone else's and it ran no problem. The disk is perfectly clean, but it has a strange arc-shaped very slight discolouration around a part out the outer edge of the disk.

Oh yeah, HOW TO MAKE MONEY:

I started with $20,000, and got to $30 million in about 1/2 hour!

1. Save game.
    2. Go to the horse betting parlor thing.
    3. Place all your money on the worst odd's horse (usually 11:1 or 12:1)
    4. If you win, go to step 1. If you lose, go to step 3.

It will probably take 4~5 tries, but sometimes more. I went from $20k, to $300k, to $1.8M to $30 million.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    its not totally cheating... i reloaded once or twice, because i went from 28k to 10 dollars once (fuck you Saddam's Madam!).

after taking it slow and betting between 1 and 3k, i eventually started making a shitload of money and got up to 1.8mil before i decided to end on a high note for the night.

its the same thing in MGS/MGS2 - save often, and if you are seen, reload, to get through the game with perfect stats. (i havent done much of that, but ive done it once). use savegames to beat teh system!
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    The greatest moment in GTA:SA for me so far was grabbing the parachute, taking a dirtbike up Mount Chiliad, launching off the ramp up there at full speed, ditching the bike in midair, diving at full speed down the cliff, finally opening the parachute and looking at the cars go by in town below.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, please congratulate whoever decided to name one of the racehorses "Dundee Ned"!

People with no idea of Scottish slang terms will not get this joke. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The names of the most of the horses were made up in the pub.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some serious cash (half a mil) with the horse racing... cheat... and i've been buying property whenever i come near it.

and chrissakes, i'm not even done with San Fiero.. this game is huge..

oh.. it's also scaring the bejesus outta me.. brome know's what i'm talkin about and can probably provide the link for it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I can't remember the link but I can explain what to do. Go to the "badlands" on the south-eastern area of the map (if you go to your map and move the cursor over it you'll see an area called "Back O Beyond". In that area are too spots that look like horeshoes. Go there around midnight and just walk around that area for the remainder of the night. I'm warning you now, it gets pretty scarey. Things I've experienced in that area: <ul type="square">[*]Dogs barking.
    [*]Children laughing.
    [*]Mystery ghost car parked.
    [*]'Nother myster ghost car falling down ahill, no one inside.
    [*]Something (no idea what) running through the forest.[/list]

The atmosphere is really different there. It gets foggy. It rains. You hear the wind blow. It's fucked.

There's actually a group of members from the GameFaqs.com messageboard exploring that are as much as possible to find out what IT is. There's something with that area, but no one knows what yet. Pretty scary.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unlocked the third area...
    one word says how much i love rockstar games right now...
    Monster.

(and no, it's not what brome's talkin about).
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Woozi doing the "Blind Neo" thing. He can sense things, but in one cut scene he runs into a wall, lol.

I'm still pissed that your cars still dissapear from your garage!!!! I lost my Pimpmobile and my Monster truck.

I finished with a recorded 24 hours on the game stats, (But more like 30 hours of real time play, constantly re-loading saves) Playing the last mission is a PITA going through the first time, but after that it's easy as pie...

I love the hydraulics tho, bouncy bouncy laugh.gif
    I hate gambling tho, I lost 10g's in minutes, so I beat the dealer up in fustration...

My fav thing to do is find a hiding spot in one of the better safehouses, and shoot the drivers while there driving, blow out there tires and shooting the gas tank.

Although I didn't get to explore the entire game (3 day game rental) that'll hafta wait untill the PC version.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just came out of tattoo place in venturas when i heard a succession of explosions, looked round to see a plane plowing down the street. seriously fucking cool. i celebrated by knifing elvis
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Try making carl eat about 10 happy meals and he throws up green puke.
    I made a fortune in the bar( about 1000 dollars) by killing all the other dancers/clubbers and stealing their money. They keep on respawning. what fun!!!
    liked the voodoo ray track and 'fools gold' by the stone roses
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Whargoul: I got EXACTLY the same problem- I thought it was my PS2 until I borrowed the MD's teeeeeeeeny PStwo and it's still fucking up for me, spent about 6 hours doing the combine harvester mission due to having to restart the ps2 every time the game fucked up- waited up to half an hour just to see if the game would read the bloody disc frown.gif

gonna see if there are any spare copies at work, which is where I got mine from, if not then I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new PS2 and SA frown.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMFG... HARRIER!!!!
    rockstar.. i love you guys.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    well me and snemmy have been playing around with the two player mission. we stole a car, hopped into the airport and took off to Lynard Skynard's Freebird. snemmy thought it was funny until i reminded him half of Lynard Skynard died in a plane crash. then he got worried. we flew north to las venturas and the "No Fly Zone" marked on the map. once we crossed the river into los venturas a harrier came after us. we got hit by a missle and kept going. we were near the northern most part of the map when we were hit again. the plane was on fire and FreeBird was ending and we crashed into the side of a mountain. smile.gif

and the time i tried to catapult snemmy off the back of a motorcycle over the gate of the airport. smile.gif

and the time snemmy was hanging out the side of the car when i drove over the side of a 500ft cliff and we rolled all the way down smile.gif

deperatly trying to figure out which button deploys the parachute the first time i base jumped... found it right before i hit the ground.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    yes.. the Freebird thing was creepy.. we started getting our asses handed to us right when the guitar part picks up speed near the end.

and yes we thought the catapault idea would actually work.....
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hahaha, you can get in my simply parking a car next to the wall, getting ontop of the car, then hopping over. Twits.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its more fun to steal a car transporter, park it near the wall and stunt jump over it.

I think the coolest thing now is the first time I opened up the Nitro boosters.

Has anyone done any pimping missions? Or the bike courier from the 24/7 near the orange sign near city hall?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    Pimping missions i've tried, but i'm not too fond. they're a bit hard. i have a newfound respect for pimps though
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one of the venturas missions involves meeting someone you scare the shit out of earlier on, which i did by tearing up and down the landing strip with nitro on, when he sees you he dies of a heart attack laugh.gif

the "hey, look at our cool vehicles" missions SUCK, goddamn hovercraft and go-karts