I've got a little game design in mind, and was wondering which engine you guys would recommend, taking my criteria into account.
1. Must easily handle different player classes, where classes have special abilities, different armor, footspeed, etc.
2. Be able to outdoor natural environments well. Either handle lighting well in engine, or make use of lightmaps. Good water a plus.
3. Good particle effects support.
4. Be able to support numerous characters on screen at the same time. (20+)
5. Game should scale well to play on older PCs with reduced graphics quality.
I'm aware that a lot of this stuff hinges on custom-tailored code, and just good, pretty, smart use of art assets. But some engines would make these tasks easier than others. Please make suggestions based on your production experience with any licensable engine. Thanks!