Home General Discussion

Opera..

thnom
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
thnom polycounter lvl 18
Today I went back to Opera, after having it for about 2 months, then switching to Internet Explorer for unknown reasons (I would have had some at the time) - I believe it was because it added .url on my favourites within Internet explorer blush.gif (stupid reason I know). Anyhow, today I've switched back, got a great new skin, imported my favourites, added my hotlinks, and am loving the mouse gestures.

What Browser do you use, and what forced you to switch to it?

Replies

• Yus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yus polycounter lvl 18
    Real men use Firefox.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Internet Explorer. Nothing forced me to use it.
    And anyone about to tell me to switch to Opera or Mozilla or anything can fuck right off. I've never, ever had any problems with IE, and I just HATE it when people think they know what I want.

PS. I had Firefox installed before I formatted last week. I noticed no difference between it and Internet Explorer. And don't say "omgwtftabbrowsing", you big-headed evangelists.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I am currently using Firefox on my PC (with dabbles of IE for certain things that require it...the bastards..) On my Mac, I am using Safari and Firefox and another one I can't remember the name of.

The reason I switched (which has been quite some time ago, actually..) is just that IE has way too many unpatched holes and doesn't allow me the ability to customize things the way I want and as easily as Firefox or some of the other options available.

And remember kids, you can blame your browser all you want for your woes, but the root cause for most problems still remains as user error. =]
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I use Maxthon because the UI is similiar to IE but it has mouse gestures and tabbed browser windows.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    damn MoP you're a wee bit angry huh?

anyway I'm using Firefox it just suits me the best. I love the tabbed windows instead of having everything open in a new window, the extensions are great and I like the themes.

Additionally I dont get 8 or 9 pop ups every time I open a window like I do with IE. Firefox is just a better browser for me.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Went to Opera during my "detach from Microsoft" move. I like its user interface, especially the RMB+LMB back and LMB+RMB forward combinations (other things like select text -> "go To URL"). Also, the MDI is handy for keeping your task bar clean (it's already full enough when I'm running Visual Basic, Blender and Photoshop plus a few Explorer windows at the same time) and reducing the effectivity of full-screen popups (those few that circumvent popup blocking, I think we should DMCA-blast those ad agencies). No ActiveX is another bonus.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Opera.

It's true it's way faster than IE. Loads faster and loads pages faster too. Now you would think that's BS, load time would depend on conection speed. But in test after test Opera would have the page loaded way before IE. It make you wonder what is IE doing to cause the page to load slower?

It has a bunch of nifty stuff that KDR_11k mentioned also - 'insert note', Deletes cookies, history on shutdown. and I love the multi-page set up. Never go back.

THe wife will ask me -"can you lad this page it won't load for me." Type in the url- boom loaded.
    "why won't it work for me?"
    "Don't use IE"

"It won't R-click on this image"
    "Don't use IE"
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    Avant Browser is my friend.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Mozilla...

somehow I like it much more than firefox, althought it is basicly the same... just less dumbed down for the masses tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't the main difference that Firefox is LESS BLOATED?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    firefox. wanted to get used to tabbed browsing.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    firefox. makes me sound like i know what i'm talking about when i tell people i don't use IE.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wasn't the main difference that Firefox is LESS BLOATED?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like complex preference menus and lots of buttons to press smile.gif
    Something CAN be oversimplified, though.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Firefox 4 life.

OMFGWTFTABBROWSING!
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I like the tabbed browsing firefox offers, and the fact I never get spy slipped into my OS with it. I think IE is good too, but I like firefox for those extra +'s alone tehehe.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    I'm viewing this forum in IE, i can see evertthing in the forum.. so aparently IE is working fine, when i come here and I can't view it, then i'll switch.

not being able to rt click on a image is not IE's fault, its the way the page is made to not alow it, i'm sure if people wanted to they could make it where opera or firefox could not do it either, its just not worth the hassle to keep the 2% of your viewers a day from stealing your junk
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    What MoP said.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    In Opera you can click+hold+quickdrag on any image and it will open just that img with url at the bottom on it's own page.

Also highlight any text, R-click on it and you can Google (or 4 other engines)it or Dictionary or Encyclopedia it instantly

But Opera still dosen't display most pages 100% correct
    Brain Fart- Ignorant Exploiter smile.gif
  • MTE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MTE polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big opera fan.

I think one of the main reasons for me to switch was that I was having a lot of trouble fitting all my running windows on my taskbar.
    Once I got it I got immediatly hooked on gestures and tabs. There's just no going back.

Firefox is also an alternative as most things Opera has it can get but I prefer Opera's UI.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Per: Yes, totally. *buff*
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Sinc eI do web dev stuff, I have Opera, IE, Mozilla, an old netscape and Firefox all installed. When IE 6 came out I was a devotee- I had loved IE from 5 upwards when Netrscape became shite.

THese days I'm Firefox all the way, but Opera is a much better browser than IE.

But I understand that most poeple dont care, and to be honest, for the casual home user all browsers do the same job.

However, there is a new free Productivty Pack out from Microsoft. Its got games, Google for the program bar, a paypal link in the systray etc. When you go the site in Firefox you cant download it. You have to go to the site in IE to get the software.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i've been using Firefox for around 2months or so now and like it alot. true its not that much different that IE but i like it better. only have a few problems with Firefox, mostly when Firefox crashes it takes the entire cache of websites with it, so i have to wait for every website i visit to reload. when IE crashed it only took the cache from that day :\ oh well...

go tabbed browsing! laugh.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Opera at Home, Firefox at work.

Opera has the edge for me with mouse gestures, and no wierd 6 second delay when I try to save an image (Firefox locks up for about 6 seconds while it saves even the tiniest image for some reason). Both are better for me than IE merely because of the tabbed browsing. I fucking hate having a bunch of tasks on my taskbar that are ultimately the same fucking program. It drove me crazy when Tins was using my machine for a few weeks and there's be like 5 IE windows there - she asked me not to close them, and like a good hubby I didn't, but it was hard work.

I have to use Firefox at workfor the most part, after we had some security issues with IE a few months back. It's OK, but that save delay annoys the hell out of me when I'm doing a reference run.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Harl, I get that sometimes to, but only when I save a bunch of images. It's only started with v1 preview...

Guess I'll stick my hand up as another Firefoxer. I like the side benifit of AdBlock getting me the urls of quicktime movies on Apple's site, so I launch them in their own tab and save them.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    IE with the Google toolbar does everything a browser could ever do for me.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Since most of the forums I visit aren't shown correctly when using either Opera or Firefox, the fact that both programs like screwing up with WindowBlinds (and most other 3rd party browser addons), and the fact that they generally lacked the "awesomeness" that everyone's usually flinging around, I'm staying with IE! wink.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Firefox has Google built into the toolbar, ne need for the plugin.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i used to really like IE 5 and 6, because i had the interface just the way i liked it, but when i tried Opera and Firefox, and got interested in webdesign (ie. Web-standards) and spyware was piling up on my pc (and i couldn't stop it most of the time) i couldn't go back.
    Firefox also cathers to my addiction to thinkering with programs untill they're JUST the way i like them, and the extensions actually work the way i like.

i don't bother people with it, but i do tell my un-computer savvy friends to switch to one of the http://browsehappy.com/ browsers, and preferably firefox (because it's very uncluttered out of the box, but they can still easil install the extensions they want)

Per: yesss, mouse-gestures are nice.
    I never liked the Opera UI as much as firefox though, and the extensions (like mouse gestures for FF) really dragged me away from it.
    Also the fact that opera isn't free (maybe it is now, but back then, you had to live with an ad in the top, which took away too much of my screen real estate, heh) didn't really do it for me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I still use IE most of the time. But I'm not happy. It actually freezes and crashes on me thousands of times a day. No biggie, all I do is re-open the program. Getting annoying tho. I like Firefox. I changed the no-image gif to a simple transparent spacer, so now browsing is a lot cleaner. I'll drop IE completely once I get a new setup.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Damn you kids spend too much time on the internet, to be worrying about this stuff.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm using Firefox now. I'm liking the Bookmarks Toolbar, and omgwtftabbrowsing is actually pretty useful. So sue me.
    That said, it does display some pages weirdly (layout of some webmail changed for no reason, some font sizes are being screwed up).

Plus I'm not a fan of the way it loads images on a webpage, with the little placeholder icon until the image appears... i guess i'll get used to it.
    [edit] aha, Grindy, thanks for that, i am editing the placeholder icon now smile.gif

I have IE close at hand though...
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I use IE, and I have no fear of trojans, viruses or program holes.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

http://www.winpatrol.com

http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

If you update and protect, you can leave your computer on 24/7 and not worry about anything.

Winpatrol and Sygate Firewall have saved my butt many of times.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
    And this anti virus (FREE!) software kicks butt!nerd.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    per: with firefox and two extensions, you've got ezpics functionality right in your browser, a flashgot launcher for pulling all the jpgs off one page, and a gallery builder if the pics are split across multiple pages. and if you want one, an url navigator that lets you move up and down the numeric part of an url, and you've got a very nice browser
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Marine: which extensions are these...?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=30&vid=757
    Eznav (for the url navigator)
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=798
    Flashgot (for flashget)
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=5
    The mouse gestures i mentioned

Still looking for the ezpics one marine mentioned, i don't use that one
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mop: flashgot and location navigator, i was sure build gallery was part of another extension. all on here

pea: i meant you can use them to replace the need for ezpics
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah.
    i'd never heard of ezpics, so that explains that, then.

also: www.extensionsmirror.nl is usually more uptodate than the official page, and it offers allready made repacks (ie. user-updated versions of old extensions)