Home Technical Talk

Maya UV texture Scrolling

jack_blackSISCO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
Anyone know a good tutorial for this funtion?

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure what you mean. You mean animating the UV's?
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrolling as in what you see in unreal when the texture scrolls. Like text accross the screen and stuff like that. I know it can be done, but i can't remember.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think its done in Maya, if you're going for what they have in UT, then you're probably going to have to read up on it, or look at how they do it in the Unreal Editor. What I got from how they animated textures in the particle tutorial was that they setup one texture, and then subdivided that texture in an even number of equal squares, like a 512x512 divided in 4 256x256 textures. They then put frame 1 of the anim in the first 256x256 section of the 512x512 texture, frame 2 in the next, frame 3 below frame 1, and frame 4 below frame 2. Then in UnrealEditor you specify how its laid out and how its animated...I think lol
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah like illusions says, something like that wouldnt be done in Maya. ( animating UV's is possible of course. ) But it would be handled by the game engine and its tools.
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha....thanks
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Animated UV's:

1. Select the UV's you want animated, have them in the upper left quadrant already.
    2. Go to Edit Polygons -> Move Component (you'll get a polyMoveUV node).
    3. Key the values of the translateU and translateV at frame 0.
    4. Go to the next frame, set the values to 0.5 and 0, and key it.
    5. Frame 2: 0 and -0.5 Key it.
    6. Frame 3: 1 and -0.5 Key it.
    7. Frame 4: 0 and 0 Key it.
    8. Open the grpah editor for the polyMoveUV node and set the Curves -> Post Infinity to Cycle.

Done!
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that worked. Thanks
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    in max we just animate the material offset vaulue, and poof export it. the few painfull weeks i used maya i never had to do it thanks god
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every program of coarse has its week points and trying to learn a new one always at some point makes you go "Gerrrr". Not trying to sound over obsessed with Maya but after working where I am and using the program, I really started to enjoy the functionality of it. Funny thing is, when I tried to go back into max to do a little wasteful boredom modeling, I had a hard time maneuvering in the view ports at first. I had gotten used to Maya's navigation so well that I became confused.
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah... if you want to animate the entire UV set, do what Mojo says he does. It's easier though not as flexible as Whargoul's suggestion.

Open Hypershade, select the texture's UV placement node and in the attributes is um... I think either offset or placement or sommat... maybe even translate, though I don' think it's that. This can be animated and the UVs will scroll. Sorry I don't have my workstation on at the moment so I can't check the name of the attribute.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    one thing i liked in maya, was the space bar maximizes viewport, i set my max up to use, that instead of lock,
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alt+tab was the standard in Max i thought
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    I'm at my workstation now... yeah, when you make the file node in hypershade a placement node is created too... probably called "place2dTexture1" or something like that. If you double click on that node it'll pop open the attribute editor. The attribute that controls where the texture is placed is called "Translate Frame". just make sure that Wrap U and Wrap V is on (or mirror U and mirror V.)

I hope this helps.
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    Faucet said:
    I'm at my workstation now... yeah, when you make the file node in hypershade a placement node is created too... probably called "place2dTexture1" or something like that. If you double click on that node it'll pop open the attribute editor. The attribute that controls where the texture is placed is called "Translate Frame". just make sure that Wrap U and Wrap V is on (or mirror U and mirror V.)

This is how I've always done it in the past.  Once you load a file onto a channel (like Color), in the hypergraph you'll see a place2dTexture Node as @Faucet mentioned above.  From here you can create keyframes on the Translate Frame or Rotate Frame attribute to scroll and rotate the texture over time.

I suppose the downside of this is that if your material was using multiple textures you'd have to keyframe the place2dTexture for each texture.  You might be able (I've never tried) to use the same place2dTexture and point it's outputs to multiple files at the same time?  That may or may not be possible, but if possible then you'd only need one node instead of having to keyframe multiple nodes.

Otherwise the method @Whargoul is probably your best bet.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TTools You can use the same place2d nodes how you describe. Sometimes it's easier to drive multiple nodes with some other node to act like a master controller though.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Turn off display only DAG nodes,  middle drag the time node from outline  into hypershade. 

You'll need to multiply it by something and then plug it into a place2dtexture node.

Voila,  animated uvs.