Home General Discussion

No animation for me

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
Well at the half way point of this term of character rigging I see that I will never want to do animation. Maybe it’s the fact that the class is being "taught" by using the tutorials in max. The thing is that were using max 6 and the tutorials haven’t been changed sense max 4. So nothing works that it tells you to do. The rig doesn’t make sense to me because were not being taught, were just are told to do part xx of the tutorial. It kills me to think that I’m paying for this. That and its making me hate doing 3d which I love. Really can’t wait to get done with this term.

I’m sorry for the rant this school has been letting me down for too long for me to hold it in. I’m really glad that this is my second to last term.

Replies

• Voodoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    what school are you going to? If you want a good rigging book pick up Maya Character Creation by Chris Maraffi. I had this guy as an instructor and he's a really good teacher. We built a working amateur film rig with muscles, set driven keys, expressions, and a Mel coded UI in 4 weeks. While the book is Maya based you'll be able to take the theory behind it and apply it to Max. It also has to NURBs modeling stuff in the begining but if you're rigging you probably know how to model already. The price is 45 dollars.

BTW I'm going to Full Sail in Orlando. While it's not known for the quality of art it's students produce it is an extremely good school to learn the tools of the trade and the technology and theory that drives the art. They leave it up to the students to work at the art side (which is why lazy graduates who didn't work in school and cant find a job because of it complain and give the school a bad rep).
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    you are paying for a class to learn from tutorials that SHIP with max? WTF!! you know those are there, so you can learn without taking a class for it! that sounds like a cheap hack prof. to me, call him out on this
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    When I was in HS I took a rather laze~fare(sp?) attitude towards my education.

BUT- When I started to pay for my education. I took a very different attitude. You are paying for information. Fuck that teacher/student myth(remember those who can't do- teach*). Learning from the book is bullshit! You could do that at home. MAKE them upgrade the course. Go to the administrator, tell him that curriculum is out of date. Make a fuss, be an asshole.

I see allot of post-secondary 'schools' jumping on the Game course bandwagon. (Here in Toronto the two have just started theirs) And I can see Game Tech going the same way as IT.

In my C++ class I asked my teacher a question about class states and she sneered at me and walked away! She had quite a rep. other classes where complaining to. We all got together and got her booted. Remember these places are a business and you as the customer have the right to complain.

*excluding the polycounters that teach of course smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sett: Laissez-faire.
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sett: Laissez-faire.

[/ QUOTE ]

gaa, sp not even close. Not even what I ment too. I thought it ment -don't give a shit(it re. to gov. staying out of commercial affairs).
    I guess I shoudn't have taken a laissez-faire attitude to my edumacationals.