Home General Discussion

$ for 3D models?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Anyone considered or followed through on selling 3D models to a company such as Viewpoint or an online database like http://www.turbosquid.com ?

I was wondering If it would be a remotely profitable thing to have going on the side? Im not entirely sure that a few $ would be worth it to have your hard work out there in the public domain. Since surely once a few clients have bought it its gonna get leaked like the viewpoint and infografica models? Thoughts?

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i think monster was talking aobut selling animations on there, maybe he can help
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    i want to make something with a guy from my old team just for turbosquid. Vehicles weapons stuff like that.
    If you ask me its a nice platform for selling old models you will never need (again), but modelling extra for that seems to be a bit silly. However, i gonna try it out with vehicles and weapons amybe characters. At the moment i just sell a shark i done with the guy 1 year ago. nothing happend so far...
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Scott Ruddles has been at it for quite a while i think and keeps it up much better than me. I have put a couple of my old ones in and it is impressive how much of a responce you can get. The things i noticed is that turbosquid put the price up quite a bit after a while if theysell well or get good reviews. I wouldnt make models especially for them though. things to bare in mind are that if you export the model to another format you stand to make a lot more with each ecxtrta format (obj, max, lwo etc) and that you should avoid putting in things that compete with many other models, for example everyone and their mother has made a white shark or a robot or a tank or a UH60 etc so they wont sell, but something usefull (ie can be used in many instances and is reasonable general) that there arent already many of that can be used easily that isn't already subdivided, but is rigged and textured is going to be a good bet.

tpe
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i bet really well done naked chicks would sell like HOTCAKES
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Hmnn scott sorry spelt your name wrong, but cant seem to edit the post as the time has expired, perhaps this should be one of the things we could change

tpe
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet you could make a bunch on this near-namesake site, selling nude Poser models to the weekend warriors.
    http://www.daz3d.com/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Who is most likely to buy and use these models?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, but that site is creeping me out. Theyre weird models.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, very weird. Teen models that are basically nude? It's from the guys who made Poser, so they're all kind of in that Poser style. But judging from the fan base, it's not likely they're losing money on it.

Seems though that if you wanted to sell some of your models via their site, they would probably want it rigged and including some morphs.

I've talked with Beau Perschall, the guy who runs TurboSquid. I tested a couple beta softwares that he helped manage. You might shoot him an email, get him to talk about which items are sellers, which people are making money on the site, what it takes to make something sell, etc. He's a decent guy, he'd probably be open about it...

His email... bperschall (at) turbosquid.com
    Tell him I said hi.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Good advertising on daz3d.com: Trying to sell poses and have the hands clip into the clothes on the big ad shot.
    I think you should really ask them to give you your name back...