Home General Discussion

A testament to the power of various 3d programs

jack_blackSISCO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
I, my self, was a proud max user. Had been for most of my career. I praised the program in all its abilities. At the time, Maya, Softimage, and Lightwave, were nothing to me. Though I never tried any over them during most of my career, I was opposed to any change. Stubborn, Pig headed, arrogant to thing that max could be out done. My fellow collogues and artist, I must say, I am eating my words now. Oh how I was so wrong. I am still, somewhat a fan and of 3dmax, but, I have recently been introduced to MAYA. It's now a requirement that I use the program for work. I could go into strenuous details and countless remarks and debate wide ranges of reasons for how the 2 programs differ, but, as it stands now, I don't think I will ever return to 3dMax again. Maya, with all its GLORY, has demonstrated a unique ability to streamline the work flow, speed up the modeling process, and provoke a different style of thinking in ways of game production. Its UV editor is roughly 75 percent faster than 3dmax and its ability to be used as a game engine for console development is outstanding. Simple tasks in Maya take many steps to complete in 3dmax. I am writing this forum to relate to other converts. What do you think? What is your opinion? To those who disagree, why do you disagree? What is your thought on this?

I GOOFED!
MODERATORS PLEASE MOVE THIS TO 2D/3D. THANKS

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yes! maya lets you make 2000 poly grass planes! its like a 5 year old telling me what is the best brand dvd player
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    welcome back tubboy.
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mostly mess with the lower poly end of it. Its pretty nice. I like it. Max had some features i wish were in Maya but all in all, i lke the interface set up more with Maya.

To all those aware of my multi account problem, rest assured, this is the last and only. The rest have been deleted. I would apologize but as the past has demonstrated, No one would believe that. "Why the hell does this nemrod keep posting here then?" you might ask. Well, that part is simple. I like the feed back I get from work submitted. If I could go back in time and change all this shit on my part I would. Some will take this a face value and others will call me a lier. That’s cool. I can deal.

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You still didnt get it right its LIAR

lier

\Li"er\ (l[imac]"[~e]r), n. [From Lie. ] One who lies down; one who rests or remains, as in concealment.

How come you are from english speaking country and cant write for shit?
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spelling, even with word, is still not my strong point
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    aww come on toomas, thats harsh. I'm one of the worse offenders of the english language. i would rarely mock someone for that.. especialy on the internet which does not really hold high standards for spelling and grammer.

I much rather pick on him because of him repeatedly being a tool. if he would up and age a few years to at least the level of a 14 year old, I would have no problem with him.

but i don't realy see that hapening anytime soon
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hummmmmmm, poop i wrote that as ment for one on one man.....WOW.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome back, bobbo, er tubboy, er jack_black, err whatever.
    Enjoy the stay.
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I only picked on him cause he "fixed" layer(it might have been something else but very similar) to lier when he actually meant liar :P

Bloody hell why does the board almost always die on me when i try to post?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Could we stop this childish bickering. This forum is so good otherwise, its just depressing when you all turn into whiny little Counterstrikers. Getting back to the topic at hand:

I'm in exactly the same position. Our valiant leader, has decided we're doing the shift to Maya after about three weeks of discussion, argument and fisticuffs between the artists and one of the coders. At this stage, prior to any sort of training, I'd have to say Maya has one of the most horrible unwieldy interfaces I've ever used on anything. This will presumably change when someone shows me how it works, but its a long way from Max where you can open the program and start modelling straight away with a little experimentation. I much prefer the ethos of keeping it simple and giving the user what they need, rather than giving them 15 different ways to do everything.

Anyway, thats what I think at this point. Keep in mind this is the opinion of someone with no experience with the software. That said, there are aspects of Maya that are going to piss me off no matter how much training I have, simply because it doesn't work like a PC program and there a lot of little things that could be made more efficient. I suppose I'll just have to learn Mel-Scriping and make them work more to my liking.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This thread will promote nothing but software and tubboy war....
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    what did tubboy say that is so offensive? Am I missing something?

-R
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. You missed a world of fun. Or something like that.
    I can only hope that this website will aid you in your quest-
    http://www.simnet.is/hjarta/
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.simnet.is/hjarta/

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    There isnt much to get PaK. TB has been kind of a pain in the past with posting under various different identities. Not too big a deal ( although he was particularly assish with the last post ), however the ol' pc 'pack mentality' ( as first observed by Treponoma ) sees fit to pounce on the lad and rip him to tiny pieces at any available oppurtunity. Thats about the size of it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade - When you say there was a fight between the coders and the artists, who wanted what?

The reason I ask is that 2 coders that I have worked at various firms with over the last few years both love Soft Image. They say its so easy to write tools for and get data out of.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its actually half the artists versus the other half of the artists and one of our coders. The coder team is arguing for Maya for the same reason as your programming team - its easy to write tools for. I haven't heard about any advantages for us poor artists that have to work with it, but hey, I'm just bitter that our side lost.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    I think your productivity with maya will increase over max when you sit down and learn the program. I think you're passing judgement to soon. Ofcourse you're not going to sit down and model right off the bat with maya. All the tools you need are in the "Create", "Polygons", and "Edit Polygons" menu. You dont have to worry about stacks, and all your history is saved in your challen box (the box that holds rotation, tranlsation, scale, visibility info") and to edit components just right click and hold till the hot box comes up and select what you want you dont have to go in to your stack to select it.

I think you'll love it once you learn a little more about it .
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah stacks sucked. Maya has customable features allowing you to put those menue bits into the shelf area. You can customaize the icons and everything. I love it. The only worry is "HISTORY"
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    +1 post count!
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    +1 post count!

[/ QUOTE ]

????
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Why the hell does this nemrod keep posting here then?" you might ask. Well, that part is simple. I like the feed back I get from work submitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if people stop giving you feedback, will you stop posting here?
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That will not happen. Some here do not see me as a threat. I mean, there is like maybe 2 or 3 if you are counted, that hate me here. But that is hardly a reason to stop posting. No offence, but those 3 do not make up the joint voting party of this forum and thankfully the moderators and staff of the forum are Wise and justfull, rational people.

This topic is about Maya, not infantile attacks on both our parts. Please, ladies and gentlemen and some teens, can't we all get along and love one another.......Didn't John Linen write, “All you need is love".

I say this with love Zombie. Come on Zombie, hows about you join the joy of this conversation. Question for ya,....have you used Maya in your career?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    You know, as much as I love John Linen, I'd say that Paul McCottony is my favorite Beatle, right ahead of George Harristweed.

I'm glad you're hanging around, Tubboy - the place is much more colorful with you here. I even edited my post in your honor! smile.gif
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    3? HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion, you're a comic genius smile.gif