Home General Discussion

Theaters and children and me being pissed off

Mojo2k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
I like movies, when i go to a theater to watch movies i like to hear the movie and enjoy it, i know a bit of screaming during scarry parts, and laughing during funny parts will go on, thats fine, cause i may be screaming or laughing myself.. thats what the movie is for.. even the ocasional "wooaahh thats pretty cool" drifting thru the theater is aceptable,

what i don't like is a nonstop barage of talking at the screen, cell phones, people talking to each other like they were in their living room watching a dvd.. and as i found out last night.. CHILDREN especialy children in mass.. i went to the 7:30 showing of "The Grudge" with some co workers, including poop, and chainsaw (think he posted here like 2x, and one other who is not cool enough for polycount aparently!

no exageration the entire front section, nearly 200 seats were filled with children, i doubt any of them could have been over 12, we all saw this as a bad sign to start with, the volume of them jsut talking was anoying enough, then the first preview came on... and the half of them that were little girls started SCREAMING .. AT EVERYTHING!!! it a freaking word "DIRECTED BY!" would pop up on the scream too fast they would fucking shreik, then the half that was boys would laugh at the ones shreiking. within 10 minutes into the movie people just started walking out. at about 15 minutes in i got fed up an told co workers i would see them later, and walked out.

i went for the counter and asked for my money back, an the kid their apologized and said they had given over a dozen refunds within the first 15 minutes of the movie, and offered to give me a ticket to the 8:00 showing or my money back, i took the 8:00 showing thinking all the kids were in the one i left.. WRONG.. in the theater was mostly normal, cept for 10-15 slightly older punks, like 14-15 i think (still not old enough for an old fashioned snot beating) they jsut fucking talked and were consiously trying to be anoying, someone went and complained and in came like 4 ushers, and i figured "cool they will kick these asses out and it will all be good. aparently the extent of a modern ushers power is to go stand near the unruly people and hope they shut up , if this does not work.. leave. one usher stood like 5 foot from them as they heckled and talked, and cursed at the other movie goers who turned and yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP" at them. when the usher saw this did not work he left. over 20 0f us got up at the same time and walked out, and got our money back and left.

since the co workers chose to stay an watch the first showing, i ended up walking back to work, it wasnt far, but was pretty dark. no lights along the road. before i went in the *:00 showing (when i thought it would be all better) i ran back in the first show and told them so htey could go to it if they would rather, but they didnt, so they ended up waiting after the movie at a next door resturaunt waiting for me to come out with the 8:00 showing. which never happened

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, what can you do. i am happy to say i have basically never had a negative theatre going experience such as you report. the only time i came close were a pack of teenage girls sitting behind us when i went to see Freddy Vs. Jason with 3DGuy and Nerd Groupie. looking back on, i'm amazed i paid for a ticket, but honestly it was the only decent looking movie in the theatre at that point. anyway, the girls started talking at the movie a little bit ("oh no DO NOT go in there girl!") but after a bit they stopped. i dunno where these obnoxious theatre goers come from, but i hope i never meet them. though i would say that horror movies seem more prone to attract the chatty bitch variety.
  • Cannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon polycounter lvl 18
    My friends and I actually got into a small fight with some other moviegoers who brought along laser pointers and threw popcorn at the rest of the audience a few years ago.

The rest of the movie was quiet though smile.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    remember candy is ammo!

oh and in the newspaper here it said our theatre has a new policy, if someone is on a cell phone they will stop the movie and turn on the lights and wait for the person to get off the phone. when they don't the police are called. but its not that bad here.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    my worst experience was some like, 4 year old, in ROTJ special edition who wouldn't quit asking her dad what everything was for about the first ten minutes and i think she either went to sleep or he musta sedated her or something cos she shut up after a while.

i annoyed my sisters at first contact when i yelled 'GO DEFIANT!' during the opening battle and the USS defiant was blasting the borg cube.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I've had bad theater expeirences, but not that bad.

Worse was when I went to see ROTK on it's opening night, they're was a pack of drunkards in the middle of the theater and they wouldn't shut up . It sounded like they smuggled in a fucking box of beer. You could hear the bottles being dropped, and heard a couple break, then one rolled down the side of the theater. Though I still enjoyed the movie.

Another bad one was when I saw the new Dawn of the Dead, Someone brought their baby to it. Why the hell would someone bring a baby to a movie that will be filled with Screaming, gun fire, explosions, and other noises that arn't exactly soothing. So for the whole movie there was a baby crying, it was like a commentary track from hell.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    The Wife and I went to see Fahrenheit 911 at a big theater downtown. We got are stuff, sat down, watched the promos. One minute into the film a couple run in and sit right beside me.

She sat next to me and her 'date', brother whatever beside her.

Every time their was a joke she laughed louder and longer that everyone else. When their was a somewhat funny jab at GWB She would laugh -the only one in the theater. Yes she was one of those. When they show the bad parts with kids all fucked up et al. she cried. And not just sobbing, I'm talking full on ballin'.

People were looking back. Out of the corner of my eye I could see people looking down the isle.

Now her 'date' was in a class on his own. When their was a dig on GWB he would do this hand motion -a karate chop with just the index finger out, with both arms. He must have did it 1000x. And like his date he was very easily amused.

Oh! and he sang along with the 'burn mf burn' song too.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I went to see some acts at the Edinburgh Fringe. There was a girl with us as part of our group (I didn't know her, nor would I want to) when we went to see Ed Byrne.

She had selective hearing - she would laugh at some jokes and then explain them to me. I DID actaully get them the first tie round. When she DIDN'T get a joke, she would then ask me what he meant. "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

this girl was black, the first thing she said was "I bet I'm the only black person here. They are all staring."

They weren't.

He told a story about a stupid pissed up racist making a fool of himself in a kebab shop, and how stupid it was to try and fight the entire staff. She then accused Ed Byrne of being racist for telling an anti-racist joke.

Silly cow.

oh, and afterwards her and another girl complained that he had sworn too much and was a bit smutty, yet the previous year they had paid to see Jerry Sadowitz.

I spent the entire evening getting as hammered as possible in a vain attempt to block them out.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Movie theater bouncers.

That's all I have to say.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    We had this big bouncer named Butch, if you screwed off one warning, two kicked out & if kicked out more than three times you got banned from movies for like a year, prolly totally illegal but effective.

Otherwise only Mojo like I had was during the Blair Witch & it was stupid, girls just screamed during the whole thing. I got my money back though.

Another time I entered the ahole mod cos I was with my better half in a balcony movie and did not know two other women were arund the bend. We chatted back and forth, her and I and I called characters azzhole and dickhead and then laughed out load. Then afterwards started to exit and saw the two women and I felt like a fool. frown.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well i think that since it was so easy to get my money back (i kinda expected an argument for it) i think i'll put up with less crap in theaters,