Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Elemental - Neo God - Earth/Fire/Water

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
Well I'm finally getting around to posting some updated pics, I've normal mapped his body now and also changed the way the town sat on his back, it looks more natural. I also added in a cave in his back, though I still need to make the little huts in it for the Cave Dwellers.

Yes, as of this moment it is looking less like an earth elemental and more like a crap elemental, the texture I'm making for the body will look much different. I actaully strayed from the concept while making the normal map for the body, in Shimmer's concept it looked like it was composed of huge hard rigid stones, and it seemed to make it look less massive, I wanted it too look like it is a huge bulky mass composed or rock and dirt, with indentifiable anatomy, but not that identafiable (Does that makes sense?).

Anyway here are the new pics
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

I will most likey redo the water fall, the texture and alpha layer seem to look a bit off, and I'm also going to do something about the cave in the back, it's fairly hard to see.

Crits and such are appreiciated!

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    haha the normal map makes him look great. and the tiny village is awesome.

though i have to wonder if the cave in the back is even needed. it doesnt look quite right. and even though he is made of rock i would expect to see some sort of 'spine' there. maybe something like mine shaft supports.

try pulling the very tip of the church steeple a bit higher. so that i breaks out of the shilloute a little bit. i think it will also make the church look a bit older, where churches were ALWAYS the tallest buildings around, noone was 'above' the church.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this is looking awesome. i like how you resolved the town's placement on his back. looks much better.

move the cave a bit lower, and have lava come out of it. make him drip from both ends!
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    What about adding in a few other bits of greenery to his form? Across the shoulders and the like? Also why not add some grass or moss to the topsides of the rounded forms?
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    could you show me (or just give a lot of wire frame pics)how you made his arm (from shoulder down) you've got some good arms
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    You really did it , its great , lovley to see you have overcome so manny problems , and got this far ...

i love the 2 level affect of the village , now it needs a path running down the middle smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snemmy - I like the idea of having supports in the cave. Though as to it having a spine, I'm not really thinking of it as an actual animal, I mean he has no organs, bones or anything, he's just earth that is in the form of a human(ish) thing. It's Magical. smile.gif

Sectaurs, I'll see about moving it down, I'm not sure if I can cause now I have the normal on it and such and it may distort a little. though I will be painting a little detail in there so it doesn't look so strange in there, like it's actaully a nice sized peice missing from his back. And I was goingto put a small stream in there, cause most of the lava resides in his right arm.

Steakhouse, I will be adding much more detail to the diffuse map, the one in those pics is just a plain brown, and I will be adding a nice amount of grass on his upper body, but as it goes more towards his feet it will be more rocky.

Jerome, well do you want pics of the high poly arm or the low poly? I don't think i could tell you how I made, cause I suck at teaching, haha.

Thermidor, Well I'll be putting a nice amount of grass in the area, so there will most likely be a nice path running around, I'm, thinking of actually making like cobble stone but that might make it look to busy and cluddered.

Oh yes, and Thanks for all the comments and crits so far!
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low poly ars'd be nice

all you have to do is say like if you use a cylinder, and then howmany stacks and slices, then what next and so on

it doesn't have to be detailed stuff
    progressional pic'd be ok
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God...you've got to moss-ify him up at the top, around the village. Then have his right arm get cracked, and move lava like the closer it gets to the "cannon" hand. You could also then add a self-illumination map for the magma/lava parts...
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    somehow strange to see my concept modeled by someone else, makes me kinda proud laugh.gif
    However, what hes missing is "weight". He looks like a big huge fluffy ball to play with. Not want to be too evocative, just that you fully get it:
    He is old, made of stones, water is coming out his mouth he has a village to carry. He should be more cavernous but should still have the power. really hard to explain if you have questions, just ask. Im here for you, feel free to call me daddy laugh.gif . Just kiding...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I finally have a small update of this, yes I know I went a tad over kill on the plant growth on him, though it is a general idea as to were I am heading. I still need to add some magma, and I also need to add in some small cave dweller tents and fires in the cave.

11.jpg

Still lots of little detail to add. Plus I think I may re-color the trees, that green seems to brilliant looking now. I also still want to redo the waterfall.

Shimmer, it's nice to know that you are kinda proud of it, and not like "You destroyed my vision you bastard!" Though I've tried so many different methods on getting him to look rigid, and finally gave up and decided to shoot for a more mountainous look, though I think I'm gonna try to paint a normal map closer to the legs, because I wanted to make it as if as it got closer to his legs the body would be more stone and less dirt and grass.

Jerome, sorry for not getting you the wireframe shot of the arm, but I notced you asked Fat Cap aswell, so I guess he can get you it...

C&C Still welcome!
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    thats fairly bad-ass Id have to say.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hell! That's nice!
    I agree on the trees looking too "green".
    The waterfall looks slightly too solid near the "mouth".
    Great stuff though.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i get wires of his arms?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actaully, if you look in the final submissions thread there are wire frames of each side.