Home Technical Talk

Gmax -> UT2003/4

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
Anyone one if it's possible, and how, to get a model from Gmax to Ut2k3/4?

Replies

• BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BackSlash polycounter lvl 18
    I beleive its possible. You need to get a md3 exporter for Gmax and you also need to get a program called milkshape (free trial). You basiclly model and mesh it in Gmax and export it to milkshape and rig it, then you can export from milkshape to PSA/PSK. Don't quote me, this is from memory.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Be sure you have Chris Cookson's fixed MD3 exporter for gmax --> http://mojo.gmaxsupport.com

After that, any way you can get your MD3 translated over to UT2K format (and keeps the UVs) will probably work. It's all about the MD3's...

I should also note that for the dwindling Macintosh tribe, there is an amazing benefit to having a copy of PakRat. Besides being a kickass PK3 and MD3 viewer, it also exports single-frame MD3s to DXF and OBJ... and the OBJs retain their UV information. Yeah.

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Note that by including Milkshape into your pipeline you cannot use weighted verts, cannot do much tweaking should it become necessary and will get a lot of pain in the ass.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    What KDR_11k said... A thing I had to use several hours figuring out! :/
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I have an md3 exporter, the tempest one, is Chris Cookson's better? I haven't tried this yet, but when exporting the md3, it doesn't export the animations as well does it? Isn't there some plugin or something for Max that exports the model and animations for ut2k3? If so, would that plugin work for gmax as well?

I have Milkshape and I tried using it to get a model into ut2k3 but I never got that to work, the model showed up in the editor but it didn't have any animations. And i'm not sure about this, but I didn't think you could make your own animations when using Milkshape, thought you had to use one of the game's skeletons and use it's animations?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    GMAX was designed not to be compatible with other games. Discreet doesn't want you to use GMAX for games they don't officially support (i.e. whose devs paid discreet lotsa money).
    You can animate in Milkshape but make sure to permanently seal all windows (and use unbreakable glass) and remove all remotely sharp or heavy objects from the room before you try that. Using the default skeletons and animations should work, though.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Soccerman --> Chris Cookson's plugin will work, as it is merely a new version of the old Pop'N'Fresh plugin with the major bugs fixed. Tempest for gmax used the PNF plugin when it was released, so it is a sanctioned export job. Other than that, gmax isn't good for much, it's true.

/jzero
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's disappointing that Gmax isn't too useful in exporting work. I have Max 5 on this machine and I've tried 6, but neither have been too stable and frequently decided to close itself down. So Gmax is all I've been able to work in. I tried using milkshape to get a model into ut2k3 a while back, couldn't get it to work, was able to get a model and the texture into the editor but not the animations, may have to give it another shot.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Milkshape isn't any good for exporting to ut2k4 with.. :/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Other than that, gmax isn't good for much, it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I wasted two years of my life using that program...and all the programs you have to find to fix it's mistakes. Learning tool my ass! I'd really love to get my own characters in game one day without having to pirate Max...which seems to be the obvious solution.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Why don´t you use Maya PLE? There is an exporter for UT2003 and UT2004 and it is good chance to learn modelling and animating in Maya too. It is always good to learn another programm.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grind: I have Max 5 on my computer, and i've tried 6, but they keep crashing, can't spend more than 5 minutes before it just decides to quit. Maybe it's something with my computer, might have to try it on another computer.

Haven't tried MayaPLE, does it allow you to import models?