Home Technical Talk

Shading Technique

jehuty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jehuty polycounter lvl 18
hallo,

i am wondering if there are tutorials out there where you learn... well different techniques of shading a picture... but i mean not where to but shadow and light... is more like how to draw the shading in photoshop... how do i get a real good gradiant made with a airbrush or brush in PS??? how do i make it look real... that's what i am interested in?! can somebody help?

thx
jehuty

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think that's explained in "Drawing on the right side of the brain", which is what the majority of people here will recommend you for learning basic drawing techniques.
  • anubis2k4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anubis2k4 polycounter lvl 18
    im not an expert but to make it look real you have to stop useing lines and use shadeing to make the shape
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    There are good video tutorials on the polycount site.
    They don't really show what "brush" to use but it shows the whole process how to get from a blank image to a cool skin.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i have all this videos from polycount but i don't get how they do a nice smooth shading over, for example the face or muscles... i mean i wanna stick with the way to first make a greyscale texture on one layer and add color behind that and then make a overlay... i guess for cloth that will work but i don't know if that works for faces... i am new to that technique and my major problem is to make a real smooth looking shading/gradiant for heights and depths... so that's what i am asking for... how do you guys make it look smooth?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    if you're using a mouse it's gonna be a lot harder than using a pressure-sensitive graphics tablet with a pen, because the pressure sensitivity can be set up to change the "opacity" of brushes, so you can paint over an area a few times, building up the value by a small amount at a time.

a good way to blend shading is to use the Blur or Smudge tools (not the filter blur, the brush-type blur, under the same tool as Smudge) - that will blend the areas of shading to fade into each other. It's probably good to do a rough gradient, then Smudge or Blur those shades together, then paint over again, picking colours from the previous blurred area, and then do another smudge/blur, since that will make a more consistent and smooth gradient.

that's the way i usually do it.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah MoP... that's what i am talking about... thank you very, very much... and no problem wink.gif i have a Intuos 2 6x8 wacom tablet... i worked with that allready and i'll never miss it again...! laugh.gif
    so... are there some other techniques or are all doing it the same way? i am very iterested to learn more about this...
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Also try different paint modes besides 'normal'. Overlay and Hard Light work particularly well in many instances.

Although that's probably only if you prefer to do the majority of your work in color, as opposed to doing it in grayscale. Even if I don't know what color I want to go with, I'll at least work in warm and cool grey tones.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Kman, that's a great idea... i shall try that! warm and cool greys, eh... who'da thunk it!
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well KMan you mean like redgrey and bluegrey... for example?
    KMan can you plz go into a little detail about that... would be very kind!
    thx
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i created something that addresses just what you are asking about.
    a photoshop demo thread i created at conceptart.org a while ago.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus christ... killing.people this is just awesome... i knee in front of you, man!
    or are you also a "chick"? *just.kidding* wink.gif
    no, this is really what i was looking for... cool... i see a lot of work to do... grin.gif... for me!!! laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Only thing you forgot was that pressing 0 will set your opacity to 100%.