Home Technical Talk

pxl SmartScale

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
This week I needed to scale a small image up quite a bit and found this Photoshop plugin that does this much better than the stadard scale option. It's called pxl SmartScale and you cna download a trial on the products site.

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_family.jsp?locale=en_US&id=prod120009

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cool. Downloading it now. Should mention that you have to sign up with the website to download the trial. I just put in some whack info *shrug*

Will try it out in about 10 minutes.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i've used this... its not a bad tool to have hanging around if you need to up-rez textures with any frequency. the textures still needed work afterwards, but it does give a better place to start than without it.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Below an example. Not mine but from a site that reviewed the tool.
    I have been playing with it a little bit because I need to scale a couple of images up by about 250%. The SmartScale results are sharper with kind of jagged edges instead of blurred ones that you get with standard PS scaling. If you clone the image and scale them individually with PS and SmartScale and then lay 1 on top of the other and "blend" them, then you get the sharpness from SmartScale image and the smoother curved edged from the PS image.

Logo increased 500%
    Original size: 150x59
    Resized: 750x295

SmartScale settings:

Sharpness: Smoother
    Contrast: High
    Detail: High
    Extreme: On

Original image:
    abt4.gif

Scaling results (standard PS vs. pxl SmartScale):
    smartscale-compare.png