Home Contests & Challenges Archives

abmurray - elemental - Rakshasa (Ice elemental)

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Okay we'll see how this goes.

From the Encyclopedia Mythica (pantheon.org):
[ QUOTE ]
Origin
The people of Nepal call it a "rakshasa" which is Sanskrit for "demon". According to them, stories of its existence date back to the 4th century BCE; references to the Yeti are found in a poem called 'Rama and Sita'. It has regularly been sighted since 1832. Yeti means "magical creature". The name 'The Abominable Snowman' however, was given to it by western newspapers who wanted to give their readers the feeling of terror which the creature supposedly causes in the valleys, crevices and glaciers of the Himalayas.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically this is my take on the Yeti, or Rakshasa. This character is the last of his kind - the lone Rakshasa who patrols the Himalayas and defends them. He truly is the last one standing. His armor is loosely based on a Mongolian design.

The renders below are from the high-poly model that the normal maps will be extracted from. The concept sketches are just a few of the tons I've done trying to nail the idea down perfectly. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

back.jpg
costume.jpg
elevation.jpg
rakshasa3.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ooops - decided to break this up into two separate posts. The images are a little huge.

Here's where I stand modeling-wise.

Low-poly from the viewport:
    viewport.jpg

And some smoothed renders for the normal maps...
    backt_render.jpg
    front_render.jpg

C&C, as always, appreciated.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I was always under the impression that the Rakshasa was a tiger-headed demon of Indian origins...

Looking stylish. He's a bit on the top heavy side, but I guess that'll be fine as long as you keep a degree of stylisation, keep him a bit cartoony.

The forearm musculature is looking a bit odd at this stage...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, late entry i see tongue.gif

looks great so far. though even with the stylization i think it might help to thicken up the ankle area just slightly. for such a heavy upper body and a mountainous and frozen climate it seems like his ankles would snap at one little slip blush.gif

hope you get it done by midnight the 31st wink.gif