Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request work: Sion Eltnam Atlasia (UT2004)

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
Shot00030.jpgShot00031.jpgShot00032.jpgShot00033.jpg
pmp_sion.jpg

Download here! (Lycos doesnt allow direct linking to zip files)

Sion Eltnam Atlasia from the game Tsuki Hime Melty Blood.

I cannot get the shader effect in Blender so I'm posting ingame shots as well. If you wonder where the wire in her mouth went on those shots, I'm using a shader that makes the wire invisible save for a few "highlights" to simulate the look of thin wire in anime.
The celshader isn't even remotely the thing OCN posted, it uses a worldspace cubemap as a mask to blend between a light and a dark version of the skin. I would need a second cubemap to add an outline so I decided it's not worth the resource hogging to add it, it wasn't that visible ingame, anyway.

I was asked to model her via PM on the Beyond Unreal forums. Downloaded the demo and went to work.
Before anyone complains, I did a muscular male model in the meantime, but it was for one of those tinfoil-hat mod teams that are afraid of having their ideas stolen so I won't post him here.

I love the effect the celshader has, I'll see if i can get some cool effects by blending between less related textures. Should allow for some interesting characters.

Replies

• Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    WAA , this seriously is great , ingame shots , i didnt know the unreal engine did that stuff , why hasnt this been done before ...

Im working my ass off to try and get this affect , and you have just blown me out the water smile.gif

hehe ooh well , i would love to understand how you did it more ...
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice, but I cant help thinking the characters head needs some shadow where her hair hangs down. Profile looks fine, but if you look at the front perspective you will see what I mean. crazy.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, those ingame shots look great!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man, love the ingame shots. Looks kickass! Can we get some more shots of the model from the left, front, and back? Curious as to the flow over her stance. Good job!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, everybody. Just got home from being dismissed from the mandatory service in the armed forces (psychological reasons).

Thermidor: I dunno what triggered the chain of thought that led me to make this shader, but it involved a crit about the colors. I corrected the colors on the skin (by using the eyedropper on the ref instead of guessing) but it still didn't look good with the standard multiply celshader.
    I have a standard, "lighted" version of the skin (little lighting detail, only a few folds and stuff) and a "no lights" version. Instead of the standard multiply cubemap with light and dark parts I painted a cubemap where the light part was transparent and the dark part solid. The cubemap was used as an envmap, which was then used as a mask (whereby alpha 0 = light texture and alpha 1 = dark texture) in a combiner that blended the light and the dark texture together. The result was put into the "self-illumination" slot of a shader to make it fullbright. I've oriented the envmap to worldspace since camera space is only needed when you have an outline that has to remain on the far end of the model and this would lead to a somewhat more believable lighting. But I guess it'd be easier to open the utx in UED and look at it yourself... Make sure to press the "all" button, some of the elements (I think it's only the result shaders) aren't grouped.

spacemonkey: I'll see to that before I submit her.

JK: Thanks.

Adam: The position of the shadow depends on the orientation of the model and I think that's what you want to see, right? Wouldn't it work better to see it in motion? I'll grab a few shots if you don't have UT2003/04 (works with both) but I think it's much easier to see by using the playersonly cheat and moving around a bot (which is what I did to take the shots).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gaaaaaaa, your about 7 lightyears ahead of me on this ...

if i understand this right , u used the standard ut shader , and used texturing to make the cel affect (self illumination, enviroment , and alpha for the light and dark ) i dunno wot cubemap is, but its a really nice affect , and ive not seen anything this good anyway. maybe when this is available i can see wot u mean , i would even reinstall ut2k4 to play this model..

1 question , is it possible to use this affect in the backgrounds , if so , a complete cel effect mod could be made , sorta like jet set radio was ...

ive really gota get myself up to scratch on this stuff.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor: If you want to work with shaders you should know all the tools at your disposal. A Cubemap is a form of an environment map that allows for more precise control than a spheremap. Environment maps are used for reflections and other effects.
    Don't get confused by the dual meaning of the word shader. Usually a shader is any kind of texture effect (glowing bits, animation, etc), but in UT2003/04 there's a shader element called "shader" which lets you define various maps (i.e. textures or shaders) to use for the diffuse channel, specularity, self-illumination, etc (I'll use paranthesises now when I talk about the shader object and none when I talk about shaders in general). The "shader" element is useful to make sure the lighting is applied to the result of your shader instead of the texture (when you e.g. combine with multiply) or, in this case, to make the texture fullbright (by putting it into the self-illumination slot of the "shader").
    What do you mean with "when this is available"?

A shader only applies to the surface it's applied to, you cannot force a shader (especially not one like this which requires two versions of the same texture) onto other surfaces. You could make a level that consists only of celshaded textures but I'm not sure how big the performance impact would be.

Sorry if I describe things here you already knew about, just wanted to make sure everything's in.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I think its the best piece from you so far smile.gif

But i think you should tweak her face a little:
    1st her eyes are little too close together
    2nd you should make her nose more visible from front view (i would make the under side of the nose a little darker, if you dont understand then maybe i could dig up some pics to illustrate)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking Photoshop corrupted the PSD file (and its own config file). I only have a pretty old (few days old) backup left. Grrr, can't a 2000$ app at least create temporary files and only delete the original once the write process is complete??? Free software does it, why can't super-expensive professional apps do it?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sorta clears things up , thanks for the full decription. i hope ive understood it .
    I know a fair amount about textures , but not too much abiut "shaders" you are right , its a confusing term ,

am i right in thinking then , the "shader" is what common 3d apps call the Material ,and a shader in that material can control cetain aspects like colour , transparent , etc ...

i think my biggest problem is ve never tryed to get anything in a game and i dont have any friends that know 3d , beyond what it means.. so everything i know i learn by trial and error .. so sorry if im a little slow

Is this model available for download anywhere, coz thats what i meant by "when it is available" ...

thanks again tho for spending time with me on this ....
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted a link to the download in the initial post...

Yeah, the "shader" element is pretty much a more complete material.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats great, im instaling ut2k4 now smile.gif

ill let you know wot i feel it plays like ...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looked ingame , its really neat looking , not much to crit, i dunno what the rigging in UT is like , but i think that problem where you have lines going from the hands to the nose is a rigging problem .. maybe its somthing to do with weightnig on the skin , im sure ive seen this before on models that arnt in games . it is fairly noticable ingame , and its a shame as it would be almost perfect without it...

looked on your site , are you gona do ceel shaded versions of the other models you have made?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lines from the hands to the face are a thin wire that Sion uses as a weapon in the game Melty Blood (the story says she can read people's minds using this thing). On both the selection screen picture and a figure of her she has the wire in her mouth. I used a shader on it to make it look like only a few highlights appear on it and have it look the way thin wire looks in anime (where you only see it when light flashes over it). Guess I should have explained that in the readme...

Celshading the other models? Hm, unlikely. None would really suit that, anyway.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh right .. ic , sorry , it looked like a glitch .. but hey , if its meant to be there it meant to be there smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Easily your best work yet. Shows a lot of improvement over the last model I saw of yours.
    Looks excellent in game, hope "psychological reasons" don't stop you modelling more stuff too smile.gif
    my only crit is that the wireframe view makes it look like her stomach is almost "caved in" ... should maybe bulge out a tiny bit at the centre instead of appearing perfectly flat?

MoP
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think its the best piece from you so far smile.gif

But I think you should tweak her face a little:
    1st her eyes are little too close together
    2nd you should make her nose more visible from front view (I would make the under side of the nose a little darker, if you dont understand then maybe I could dig up some pics to illustrate)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why dig ?
    http://akita.cool.ne.jp/gengetsu/mb/mb.html
    But after checking ref pics and researching the title.
    There really isn't much thats wrong with her that I could critz upon, only thing I could say is "Should inc a Vamp Ver of her too" wink.gif thats about all I could add.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only difference the vamp (well, insane, she's already a vampire) version has are red eyes, that'd be another set of textures just for that little effect. The main differnce is that she moves differently and screams a lot, which I cannot express with Milkshape and without breaking online compatibility.

I don't think he meant dig up ref pics but dig up pics of anime characters in general.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Could I see the "UED Material Tree?" at least a screen shot of that Cel Shader? this is is looking quite slick.. So any "ink Lines youy have, those would be on the texture? Nicely done!

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    materialtree.gif
    The MODIFIER is a TexEnvMap and the brown TEXTURE is a CubeMap.

The image has been photoshopped to remove all the "bad highlight" slots of the shader and fit all of the elements into one picture.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's bruilliant. and simple too! Excellent find there. I know Cube maps and the like, so I know how tomake them and make them work, but that is an amazing use for them as well. Now if only I can figure out how to do opacity, and specularity on the same material without the draw order bug. Brilliant Job.

Scott
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i take it this draw order bugis the reason the skirt isnt remdering properly in shadow???
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, that's just how I drew the dark texture.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    how did you get a model in game from Blender? does blender now have UT plugins?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message