Home Career & Education

Using Unreal Engine Assets in Portfolio: Industry Standards?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
stephybeno polycounter lvl 4

Hi everyone!

I'm aiming to become an environment artist, mainly in the film industry, but I'm also open to working in gaming as well. So far my experience has been primarily with Maya and my portfolio reflects that. Recently, I started exploring Unreal Engine and of course noticed the vast library of 3D assets and textures available, which has been great for me since texturing is still an area I'm practicing and not super confident with yet.

I'm wondering what the general opinion is on using free Unreal Engine assets when creating environments for a portfolio. For example, if I clearly mention which elements I haven't modeled myself, would it be acceptable to use these assets? Specifically, I'm thinking about creating hero props and foreground assets myself and using Unreal Engine assets for the background.

Would this approach be looked down upon in the industry, or is it considered an acceptable workflow for someone trying to showcase their skills? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think it depends what you're applying for to an extent (i.e going for a job as a prop modeller and only displaying store assets won't work) but as long as you're very clear about what you did vs what is an asset then I think you're fine. 

I don't see any difference between that and the in-game screenshots I have I my own portfolio