Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Awaiting Fall (Stylized Environment)

VanishingVestige
triangle
Hey all!
First time posting here, I recently finished a stylized environment. Even though its finished I would still be happy to hear some criticism to improve for next time. I was in the mood for a medieval piece because I hadn't worked on one in a bit. For my next stuff I really want to start pushing towards Valorant-inspired environments.
Here's the video in 4k . Here it is on my Artstation where I also uploaded a few videos to show some geometry nodes stuff, vertex painting, etc

Cloud Variation (I liked the colors but felt that it was too much and lacking negative space)

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Nice work! I love your color palate and your breakdowns (which I will be saving a referencing later ;) ) The biggest critique I would have here is probably your rocks, they don't feel very cohesive to the rest of the props although its hard to put my finger on why. Possibly the scale is off as they look huge compared the the bench and crates. The shadows on them are almost black as well, which is very dark compared to the buildings in the background that have a nice soft shadow.
  • ChristopherRobin
  • VanishingVestige
    Great work.
    Appreciate it :)
    Nice work! I love your color palate and your breakdowns (which I will be saving a referencing later ;) ) The biggest critique I would have here is probably your rocks, they don't feel very cohesive to the rest of the props although its hard to put my finger on why. Possibly the scale is off as they look huge compared the the bench and crates. The shadows on them are almost black as well, which is very dark compared to the buildings in the background that have a nice soft shadow.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    That's a good point about the rocks. While I did want them looking bigger to create a separation between the grass and pavement, perhaps I should have dialed it down a bit. Also funny you mention the rocks, they (and the clouds) were the only assets I didn't create specifically for this scene, I had made them years ago and thought maybe they could work here.
    But you brought up some good points so perhaps I'll revisit this scene later and replace the rocks with a more...modular approach? Like some short stone walls or something.

Thanks again!

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    I've had this issue before too, so it happens! Its probably just more noticeable here because there are so many of the rocks and they are right in the foreground. If you do decide to revisit maybe something like these metal railings would be cool ;)

14 Best Small Towns in Germany  PlanetWare These Small Towns in Germany Look Straight Out of a Storybook
  • VanishingVestige
    Oh thanks I like these references! They're really fitting for my scene. Yeah I'll probably take a break from it and come back with a fresh perspective for some final touch-ups
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, I would get some height blending in your terrain material, as well as a few more layers and scattered meshes like pebbles (also in your material). Also maybe increase the normal strength of your cobblestone texture.

Its lookin good :)
  • VanishingVestige
    Hey, I would get some height blending in your terrain material, as well as a few more layers and scattered meshes like pebbles (also in your material). Also maybe increase the normal strength of your cobblestone texture.

Its lookin good :)
    Thanks! Noted :) I'm adding this to my list of final things to tweak. I do have height blending but I think I need to up the contrast here lol