Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] 3D Desert-punk Sci-fi Character

triangle
After getting the okay from the original concept artist Nick Bray I've recently started tackling making a 3D model based on the concept piece they made titled Mechanical Assistance starting with the helmet. 

It's still mostly in the general blockout to high poly phase of even the helmet design so far but any advice, even this early in, on general approach or just how closely you think it's currently aligned to the concept I'm basing it on would be appreciated. General areas you feel might could use improvement or resizing/adjustment. As well as any similar examples in real life or fiction in regard to clothes or armor you think might be good references. I've found several I'm working off of or planning to work off of but the more the merrier I feel.

sci-fi aesthetic and hard surface models are something I've felt I've been lacking in or haven't focused on enough thus far so I am taking this as a chance to challenge myself in that venue, as well as in weapon prop production for characters. 

Replies

• WallaceGazaway
    Some further adjustments I made when I found the time after comparing the concept further. Being more liberal with my use of boolean operations too since I'll need to do a bunch of manual retopo later anyway and figured it'd help speed up the hard surface high poly details.

• WallaceGazaway
    Been making more progress here and there and have gotten the helmet to what I think is a good point in terms of high-poly and since moved on to the clothes under the poncho which I'm designing mostly based on assumption from what clothes and tech I can see in the concept on top of the small bit of under-cloth seen in the poncho slits.
    Right now, I'm working on the shoes which according to the artist himself are basically modified Doc Martens 1490s which helps a lot in designing them since if gives me a lot of references to work from. 

Hoping to finish them and the glove high polys soon so I can start working on either the backpack or the poncho. Currently have some ideas on how I'll approach the poncho but any advice from anyone who's done a similar poncho/clothes design is more than welcome.

• WallaceGazaway
    Steadily building up the character when I have the time. Still largely only in the high poly phase so far (barring a low poly version of the boot pieces for detail baking) but finally got the boots fully finished and gloves made based on the concept.

Next major problem area will have to be the poncho, but after that it's back to hard surface modeling for the pack and weapons before moving into the low poly step.