Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D artist Portfolio help!

Hi! I applied to a game development school earlier this year (The Game Assembly) as a game artist, and it didn't go great! (Original spot in the reserve que was 138! Ouch!)

My plan is to now spend the next year improving, and applying again next spring. but I'd love some critique. I have an inkling that I was rejected due to the fact that all my work is focused on VR games, and such wanted a higher budget of quality. My current plan was to spend my time making new work that's more optimized for "traditional" games, but I want to make sure before diving in!

My wish is to become a 3D character/creature artist

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Google drive link to the actual images used in the portfolio: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UO5RGTKXg3EE_Nbn1G8_p03G3LyduMqG

Sketchfab view of my most recent project:model

Replies

• hreazee
    Offline / Send Message
    hreazee polycounter lvl 9

Hey, I know you want to specialize in creatures, but your subject matter is very niche and honestly won't appeal to a large audience. I suggest you start by practicing human form and anatomy first (since you're already using forms close to the human form for your creatures). Demonstrate this by doing a human anatomy study, as creature sculpting is a different beast (excuse the pun). Use a lot of real-life references, and I suggest you stay away from the typical bodybuilder types (for now) as they do not reflect proper proportions very well, which could make it difficult for you.

If you want to specialize entirely in creatures, I suggest you either model real-life animals first or find concept art/fan art to work from.

Your portfolio pieces are too loud and noisy, with a lot going on, which makes them hard to look at. You would benefit from using a simple dark background and letting your model and lighting do all the work. There are lots of examples to look at on ArtStation.

Lastly, I suggest you think carefully about artworks influenced by personal "tastes," because "taste" varies from artist to artist. Like it or not, the industry doesn’t have much room for personal tastes. It would be safer to pick a subject matter that you know will be recognized by the majority, especially while you're still learning.

• TeaKo
    hreazee said:

Hey, I know you want to specialize in creatures, but your subject matter is very niche and honestly won't appeal to a large audience. I suggest you start by practicing human form and anatomy first (since you're already using forms close to the human form for your creatures). Demonstrate this by doing a human anatomy study, as creature sculpting is a different beast (excuse the pun). Use a lot of real-life references, and I suggest you stay away from the typical bodybuilder types (for now) as they do not reflect proper proportions very well, which could make it difficult for you.

If you want to specialize entirely in creatures, I suggest you either model real-life animals first or find concept art/fan art to work from.

Your portfolio pieces are too loud and noisy, with a lot going on, which makes them hard to look at. You would benefit from using a simple dark background and letting your model and lighting do all the work. There are lots of examples to look at on ArtStation.

Lastly, I suggest you think carefully about artworks influenced by personal "tastes," because "taste" varies from artist to artist. Like it or not, the industry doesn’t have much room for personal tastes. It would be safer to pick a subject matter that you know will be recognized by the majority, especially while you're still learning.

Hmm, valid. True, thank you! A lot of that does make sense, especially the points of using more real life references and making just some normal humans haha. I do want to pivot it and make it less focused on personal taste, atleast by making the new creatures more like quadrupedal monsters/animals.

I have a plan atleast of what do to now! Thank you kindly for the words <3