Home Adobe Substance

Issue with padding on Diffuse texture

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
Hi

I'm having a problem with a texture for a character/creature I'm working on. Somewhere along the way, I think I've screwed up the padding. I've exported out various parts of my texture from Substance Painter - mostly masks - in order to sort of collapse layers down to reduce the file size as it was getting too big and slow. Everything was set up in a new project file. It's possible padding was either neglected or not set up properly at various times; I'm really not sure. Either way, the padding that's present in the exported maps now look wrong. And what I get is a very noticeable seam. It's practically non-existent in SP, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in Unreal and Marmoset.
I've tried taking the texture into Photoshop and using the Opacity mask to cut out the islands and 'trim the fat'. I can shave off the dodgy padding, but when I apply the new map back to the model in SP, there's a noticeable seam. Exporting it out again with padding still gives me a bad result. :-\

I'm a bit stuck on what to do to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose the worst case scenario, but I would rather avoid it if possible if there's some other 'magic trick', would be to finish it up, export it, import it back in, and then paint over the seams. But I'm happy to hear suggestions/alternatives if there are any. ^_^
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if the error is already baked into the textures you exported you're probably just going to have to paint the seams out unless you have the older version somewhere.

I'd recommend using the diffusion option for padding as a rule in future - its very rarely the wrong option

the reason it doesn't show in painter is that it doesn't mip textures (or at least it didn't, ive not used the last few versions) 
  • DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, I've fixed it now. :D Some helpful soul on the Discord server pointed out what the issue was. All of my original textures were exported out at 4K, but my project resolution was only 2K. I downscaled the bakes in Photoshop for optimisation whilst working in SP. By putting the project to 4K and then importing the original 4K bakes back in, those seams are showing up in all the masks. I tested out cleaning up the chin area and the seam was gone. :D I'll look at cleaning everything up properly tomorrow.