Home Technical Talk

What type of bake is this?

Hello, im new in the forum ^_^, i usually make models in which the bakes will be distributed to texturers who have to carry out the work using the bakes in photoshop, i have come across other people's bakes in which everything looks very good, the folds themselves are very defined and with good shadow, does anyone have any idea how I could make a bake like these? Or at least the type of bake it is? I usually make ambient occlusion bakes and give it a glossy effect so that they look something similar, but the truth is they don't look as defined at all like this one.

Attached is the type of bake that i'm talking about.

Replies

• Floatingpoly
    One thing important to say is that the game where i make my models don't support bake maps like normal maps, etc, so when you simple AO bake give the most info of your model is better for the texturers who use normally the ambient oclussion bake in multiply mode in their photoshop to take the shadows of the model for example
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    that looks like ambient occlussion bake to me

i am only familiar with baking in marmoset toolbag, but it offers a wide variety of ways to bake. you can bake lighting and shadows, convexity, concavity, thickness, etc

presumably all the same things in substance painter which I think is probably the most popular baking tool for 3d artist

the resolution of the bake will depend on the source models and the baker settings, so if you are not getting desired results you would want to look at both of those variables

what app are you using for baking now? what options does it offer? for troubleshooting a bake you'd need to show your source and target models as well as the baker settings.