Home Technical Talk

Different triangulation ways

I encountered the following problem: when exporting/importing normal maps from software to software such as Marmoset, 3D Painter, blender, artifacts appear in areas where the geometry on the lowpoly model is not very smooth, and, accordingly, bad shading. Although after baking with high poly everything is fine. It was explained to me that this is due to different triangulation algorithms and it can really be fixed by triangulating the model immediately after creation, for example, in blender. But I would like to sell my models on TurboSquid under the StemCell specification. And it requires the grid to be squared, not triangulated. So: how do professional artists create models with quads that look good in different software?

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Are you not allowed to include both a triangulated model with a synced normal map and a quad version? 

I'm guessing they aren't expecting baked normals from a high poly and thinking you'll just use Substance painter or something to generate a normal map without one. 
  • MechanicSuperman
    I think the main model for sale should be lowpoly. And it, in turn, should be with a map of normals baked from a high-poly model. I thought this was a good idea because even small details like the letters on the buttons would be baked in and it would smooth out the uneven lowpoly shading. My highpoly has bad topology, both triangles and N-Gons are present. Although it can also be added to the lot. And the shading is bad on the low-poly model, because, on uneven areas, it is difficult to achieve perfection when you need to make cylindrical holes. So do I need to remodel the low poly for good shading or is there maybe another way? Because, immediately after baking, for example, in 3D Painter, everything looks good.
    It should be added that triangulated models do not fit the StemCell specification.
  • MechanicSuperman
    Actually, my terrible shading was due to sloppily placed chamfers. And I didn't even notice. Remodeled the chamfers and now everything is ok. Thank you anyway.