Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ingram MAC-10 / looking for general feedback

Hi! I've been studying 3D modeling on and off for a while now, mostly as a hobby, but recently I've decided to pick it up more seriously as a job opportunity. My general aim is prop modeling for now, hard-surface mostly, then transfering to environment art. This is a MAC-10 model that I think is my best right now, though I'm also working on other stuff as well. Let it be my first portfolio piece.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/49Dk52

model

There are some glaring issues with the asset that I'm aware of, like not being rigged for animation and many parts of it are static or baked as a normal map. Thing is, I didn't know what polycount is acceptable and have been trying to make the low poly have as little triangles as I could. Only then I found out on the internet there are 3D models of pistols and other guns as high as 15k triangles or more and I probably could've packed more geometry within that budget.

Also, I think my pipeline or techniques might be dated by now or simply too cumbersome. I am currently using Blender for sub-d modeling high and low poly > Blender for UV (UV-Packer add-on) > Marmoset Toolbag 4 for baking normals / AO / material ID > Substance Painter for texturing > then Toolbag again for rendering. Considering trying Plasticity in the future.

I've learned most of the techniques from these tutorials and been sticking to them:

Simon Fuchs — Blender Drone Tutorial,
ChamferZone — Flashbang Tutorial

I would like to have some feedback on my work, please tell me of any issues that there are and stuff that I could improve on, apparent or not. Feedback on the pipeline, any tips or suggestions like the skills I need to learn are all welcome. Thanks in advance!