Home Technical Talk

Groups Vs Collections (Max v Blender)

CommonOne
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CommonOne polycounter lvl 8
Hey everybody!
Would someone please explain (like I'm 5) the difference between Max's grouping function and Blender's collections. And bonus - how instancing is related or applies to each.
I used Max for years and really like the groups - but a couple of years ago migrated to Blender and have completely adapted to the collections. Enough time has pass that I've only a nagging feeling that I still miss the groups - but can't remember why.

So there is now an extension/add-on for grouping in Blender - this has jogged the memory...

Thanks!

Edit - extension in question...

Replies

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    IMO a group behaves as an object  in 3d max  while collection  is just an attribute, a tag of a sort .  One object may be in many collections at the same time .    To  have collections  behave same way  as a group in 3dmax  you can use  join geometry node  in Blender .   Or just  output  collection  in geometry nodes  , it would became a single object for a next modifier.           I had issues with manually eddied  vertex(split) normals  although which became default .     

3d max instances  inside a group  became  referenced  objects   with thick line  on top once you put  any  next modifier.    In Blender  it all depends on  node flow.     It may stay ok  for Blender  render itself but  could quickly turn into a mess  when you would try to "make instances real'  for exporting  them as fbx or usd.    I once used a quad object as instance  container   and output those quads  as a single object  to  populate with instances  later,  outside of geometry node modifier.    But recently it seems works just fine in GN itselff.     Still may be more troublesome than with 3d max sometimes.       
  • CommonOne
    Offline / Send Message
    CommonOne polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, Gnoop!