Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Banjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed: Spiral Mountain

Hi everyone, first time posting here.

I was suggested to post here for a project that I just finished.

After my last project, I was wondering what I could do. One of my previous teacher suggested that I could revamp a level from a game that hasn't been made in a long time and I chose Banjo-Kazooie. I gathered informations on how people would like it to be remade and what came up a lot was that they wanted it to be a remake/remaster by Toys For Bob (Crash 4, Spyro Reignited Trilogy). After gathering references and building an art bible of their work.

I used multiple softwares such as 3DS Max, Substance Painter 3D, Designer, Sampler, Photoshop (mostly for the grass), Zbrush and Unreal Engine, the same engine that Toys For Bob used for Crash 4 and Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Roughly one month before the end of my project, I contacted Grant Kirkhope, the composer of the game and asked if I could use a remake version that he made for a video showcasing my environment, which he accepted. The logo is made by Del Northern.

Feedbacks are more than welcome :)

Banjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed  Spiral Mountain Fan Art
Banjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed  Spiral Mountain Fan ArtBanjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed  Spiral Mountain Fan ArtBanjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed  Spiral Mountain Fan Art
Banjo-Kazooie Re-Jiggyed  Spiral Mountain Fan Art

To avoid creating a long post, you can find more here.
You can also find the link to the video here.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    looks great
    i dont have any feedback on the art, but it might be cool to see a side by side comparison of with the original if you had time for that (the video especially). Seems like before/after style videos are always received pretty well.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I think it looks really cool overall, congrats on finishing the project :+1:

If I had to point at one thing to improve, it would be some of the fluffy/voluminous vegetation (tree tops) currently looking tad too busy, the cards not blending with the large shape. To address this (maybe you already did some of it?), you could try transferring vertex normals from large shapes to small cards, disable shadow-casting for small parts and use some subsurface scattering. Also some foliage seems to use normal map, others don't (the grassy overhangs have a very even shading across all blades).
  • Ax_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    looks great
    i dont have any feedback on the art, but it might be cool to see a side by side comparison of with the original if you had time for that (the video especially). Seems like before/after style videos are always received pretty well.

Thank you!
    Since I wasn't sure that Grant would be down with a comparison shot, or Rare would be okay with it, I avoided that. If you want, you can find comparison of each shots above below:

• Ax_L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! I think it looks really cool overall, congrats on finishing the project :+1:

If I had to point at one thing to improve, it would be some of the fluffy/voluminous vegetation (tree tops) currently looking tad too busy, the cards not blending with the large shape. To address this (maybe you already did some of it?), you could try transferring vertex normals from large shapes to small cards, disable shadow-casting for small parts and use some subsurface scattering. Also some foliage seems to use normal map, others don't (the grassy overhangs have a very even shading across all blades).
    Thank you! :)
    I had a huge difficulty to blend the cards with the bigger shapes. I don't really know how to disable the cast shadows from the small cards without disableing the shadows of the whole mesh sadly.

In regard to the grassy overhang, the blades have their cast shadow turned to off, since it was the same thing in Spyro Reignited Trilogy. It doesn't look too bad with them being activated but I just wanted to be sure.

I know it sounds like a lot of deflecting regarding your feedback but I totally get what you're saying.