Home Marmoset

Glass is too dark - Toolbag 4

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Its_Bill polycounter lvl 2
Hi Gang,
I'm trying to render a wine glass on a table, and it's appearing dark.
I'm not sure what the cause is. Looks like it's casting a shadow or absorbing too much light?
The Albedo is white and so are the colours in the Transmission.

It's particularly obvious in the broken glass base on the beer mat and the unbroken glass.
It's particularly obvious in the broken glass base on the beer mat and the unbroken glass.

Here are my material and render settings.

Any help much appreciated.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I have no idea what's up based on the images. But feel free to share the scene if you want a second pair of eyes on it.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Think this usually is the HDRI, people search for "free" HDRI's and use one that works for their needs, i found this to fix a few things i dislike with certain "appearances".  Just tossing out another possible solution to try.
    The curve & settings section might help also, lot of settings to play with (under camera), I'd concentrate on the glass alone till it looks like you want it to then worry bout the rest.
  • Its_Bill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its_Bill polycounter lvl 2
    iam717 said:
    Think this usually is the HDRI, people search for "free" HDRI's and use one that works for their needs, i found this to fix a few things i dislike with certain "appearances".  Just tossing out another possible solution to try.
    The curve & settings section might help also, lot of settings to play with (under camera), I'd concentrate on the glass alone till it looks like you want it to then worry bout the rest.

This was the issue!
    Clearly it's something to do with the HDRI. Maybe it's refracting darker values from the IBL or something, but I changed the image to a brighter one and got very different results.

It also really shows off the details much better.

Thank you both for the replies!

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Thank you for confirmation glad i actually knew about something.