-can run multiple instances
-can preview tiling
-can be always on top
-has non-destructive editing

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is a great find indeed ! It seems to handle windowed browsing much more elegantly than Irfanview.
    Thanks for the link.
  • jwoelper
    Offline / Send Message
    jwoelper triangle
    Hi, Oculante author here! Thank you for the kind words. The viewer was indeed initially made for 3d/texture related work as I was missing proper alpha support and the ability to use it on Mac/Windows/Linux.

If you have any ideas for features feel free to ping me here or write an issue request.

Cheers!
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Aww have to test it.. looks really nice from the images already!
  • Rima
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima interpolator
    Ooh, that looks really convenient. I'll give it a try.
  • pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    Hey @jwoelper , great to see you here...welcome to Polycount!

Thanks so much making this handy tool that makes it super convenient to inspect textures without having to load up a game engine.
    In lieu of a Git account, here are some issues I've come across after using it for a bit:

-Drag and drop is broken for me. It will throw up and "unsupported file!" for tga and jpegs. It seems it's file extensions with caps are the offenders (.JPG errors but .jpg/.jpeg works)

-I get flickering borders when using the tiling preview

-Related to drag and drop; it would be great to be able to spawn a clone or new window from the current one (and with hotkey)

-I might be missing something, but I can't see anywhere info on the bit depth (bpc)?
  • zetheros
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros sublime tool
    i just realized how easy it would be to install a backdoor crypto miner on every digital artist's machine. Thanks for the awesome image viewer @jwoelper !
  • jwoelper
    Offline / Send Message
    jwoelper triangle
    zetheros said:
    i just realized how easy it would be to install a backdoor crypto miner on every digital artist's machine. Thanks for the awesome image viewer @jwoelper !

lol, don't give me ideas!
  • jwoelper
    Offline / Send Message
    jwoelper triangle
    pxgeek said:
    Hey @jwoelper , great to see you here...welcome to Polycount!

Thanks so much making this handy tool that makes it super convenient to inspect textures without having to load up a game engine.
    In lieu of a Git account, here are some issues I've come across after using it for a bit:

-Drag and drop is broken for me. It will throw up and "unsupported file!" for tga and jpegs. It seems it's file extensions with caps are the offenders (.JPG errors but .jpg/.jpeg works)

-I get flickering borders when using the tiling preview

-Related to drag and drop; it would be great to be able to spawn a clone or new window from the current one (and with hotkey)

-I might be missing something, but I can't see anywhere info on the bit depth (bpc)?

Great point with drag and drop. I confess I haven't used it much. I'll create a ticket for it!

The flickering is a known issue and is hopefully resolved soon with large image support. In the meantime try some tweaks in the settings like turning off mipmaps and see if that helps!

Bit depth is a big topic. It is on my to-do list to fully support all bit depths natively. Right now, everything above 8 is tonemapped into 8 bpp. All filters work in float anyways, so this is not a big issue. Maybe over the xmas season :)
  • pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    Ah, thanks for the context...good to know. Mostly I meant if it could display whatever the bit depth the current image was encoded in...i've become accustomed to photoshops 8/16/32 bits per channel scheme.
  • jwoelper
    Offline / Send Message
    jwoelper triangle
    @pxgeek I created an issue here:
    However, when I tried to reproduce, JPG worked. On which operating system are you and what version of Oculante are you using?

• pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    Win10.
    I was still using 0.8.22. I just tested again 8.23 and it works fine.

Just fyi when i tried loading some tga's this pop up comes up, image still loads though: