Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

This is my concept design for the game. It's also my school project. Some of the images were AI .

Replies

• skktb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a Chinese-style sci-fi setting in which the disaster raises sea levels, turns the Kunlun Mountains into islands, and Chinese survivors flee here to form the Huxia Federation. The Huaxia Federation is united and technologically advanced, but lives in a crisis-ridden archipelago full of miasma. The design combines Chinese style with cyberpunk. Map the island topography according to the Kunlun Mountains.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Just looking at the pictures, I wouldn't think they belong to the same project, more like a collection of images.

Regarding use of AI: Personally, I don't think when starting out it's productive use it, as it results in giving decisions away and accepting results. Maybe the result will lack personality/intentionality. If using AI, I would certainly point out elements that were created that way, for transparency sake.

In my opinion, concept art is not there to just look good, but to communicate designs/ ideas and solve problems. I feel AI generated content often times lacks these qualities, falls apart on second look or is bland. If this was a portfolio, I would be interested to the evolution and thought-process too. So maybe include a brief describing the design and references, then explorations (thumbnails, silhouettes) and refinements (sketches, colors, material descriptions, details). Early explorations could be collected on a single sheet.

I'm also wondering about the context of the project. What's the assignment/deliverable? What do you want to achieve with the project? What's the scope? How much time do you have? What's the targeted visual style?

I would do some planning and decide on some minimum goals, to have structure while working and to ensure you end up with something of a certain level of refinement. Best start out with fewer designs and then increase scope if you have the resources.

Good luck!