Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help projecting low onto high poly model zbrush

So i recently finished retopologizing this model and knew that i was going to project some of the detail back onto the sculpted highpoly and bake some of the more very small details onto this subdivided low poly, the high poly itself is made up of multiple subtools but i wanted to make it the low poly one object so that the transitions between the forms was soft and looked like it was made from a single peice of stone, but now that ive finished retopologizing i need to project it and ofcourse it doesnt really go as planned, plenty of area where the projections looks wrong, could really use a hand. Or any advice on perhaps an alternative method of getting the look im going for, basically this is suppposed to be a statue and the idea was to dynamesh everything together and get and make verything look like its made from one piece of stone, but zbrushes dyanmes cant dynamesh small enough to get all the detail i want so i went with the way of making a retopo of the highpoly by hand, projecting some of the lost detail back and maybe smoothing somwthing out here and there where i need, but im getting al these artefacts so here we are

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    You may need to fiddle around with the projection settings a bit (try the distance slider first, and if that doesn't help you can try messing around with the projection shell) to get a proper result.
    It doesn't look like there are too many closely overhanging parts on the sculpt, so that should be enough.

Another more creative option would be to skip re-projection and just boolean union everything and then use sculptris mode to smooth the intersections (leaving the rest of the surface untouched)
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    I'd just smooth the trouble areas and project again. If the lowpoly doesn't match the highpoly, you'll get those results in the first image. You might also want to Geometry > Freeze SubDivisionLevels > select the Zmodeler brush, and alter the lowest subdiv so that you get better projection results