Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weapon Case help

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Final Major Project and it has come time for me to create a complimentary pistol weapon case for my firearm. The case I have decided to create is the Sig Sauer P320 pistol case. I will have a modified version to accommodate a set of attachments, but the idea from this reference is what I am going for.

For some context, I have so far used a boolean workflow mix between Blender and Zbrush to create the lovely firearm which is textured and ready along with its attachments. My problem comes from not entirely knowing where to start with the pistol case. So far, I have box modelled with an all-quad subdivision workflow, but I am not entirely sure if I should make most of the details on the pistol case with the all-quad method and subsequently when to start using booleans and remesh to get perfect HP shading without spending ages getting perfect meshflow.

For example, there is a small detail pertaining to the locking mechanism that I added using the normal modelling method, but part of me thinks I should have done that with intersection booleans to then be re-meshed. It would certainly be quicker, but would it give me the same level of control over the amount of bevel and so on?

The same really goes for the other details such as the hinges and the various indentation on the plastic box itself. Should I do this with booleans to achieve the best HP shading results with the least amount of effort? Let me know what you think and I'll continue this model in whatever workflow is suggested.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    A non destructive boolean & modifier technique is certainly well proven for rapid iterative hard surface workflows so yeah what I'd personally recommend.

To better illustrate my point, here's a walkthrough authored by Frank Polygon alongside an all quad Subdivision and Mixed topology method also moar good stuff can be found on his sketchbook aswell.   
  • Art_Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @sacboi for your comment. I have since moved forward with a mix of subdivision and booleans and am now in the process of unwrapping and getting it ready for texturing. Despite already completing the modelling before seeing your comment, I will have a look at the two links you included and learn more about it! I am positive that I will have missed something important and game changing.