Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Decimation Master causing black areas in 3DsMax?

MilkMaster
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MilkMaster polycounter lvl 2

Hello,

I'm making a trim sheet that I sculpted in Zbrush. However, I kept getting errors when I tried baking some maps in Substance Painter. The errors seemed to indicate that the mesh was too high-poly for my computer to handle, so I used the decimation master tool in Zbrush to get the poly count down. When I decimate my trim sheet, it looks fine in ZBrush, but when I import it back to 3DsMax, it creates these black areas caused by what seems to be overlapping faces. Moving vertices fixes the issue, but I just don't think fixing vertices one by one is the best way to resolve this (or maybe it really is the only way). Anyone know what's going on? Is there some way to fix this issue, or should I attempt to lower my polycount in another way? Thanks!

Replies

• MilkMaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I used the ProOptimizer modifier in 3DsMax which didn't give me any issues. Though I still find the situation I described a bit odd.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Zbrush doesnt have smooth shading in the viewport, so these will not pop the same way as in max.
    This is why I never decimate

You could probably use bpr render to see if you make this visible in zbrush
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    After decimating I always run a smooth deformation at a very low value (1-10) and spam the repeat to active button a few times.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Just adding my .02's.: Yes its a weird thing that happens perhaps from inflate useage?
    I do not decimate either, i didn't decimate because i hated the ugly baked normals look i get from decimated meshes.  
    They, Yes you have to pay attention to the levels you are creating and can't just go click happy to get the smoothest results. 
    (zremesher a lot helps with the situations and reprojecting to a decently sized, detail to polycount ratio"d" mesh.) (as low as you can go before losing shape of object you want to recreate/zremesh)  At least that is how i do it.  Thanks pxgeek i didn't think of that smooth deform before might come in handy one day.

• MilkMaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, thank you everyone for the replies and advice! I'll experiment and keep these in mind.