Home Career & Education

Portfolio Feedback - Thinking about quiting 3d art

Hi friends, good morning, my story is the standard one, 2 years of feeling prepared for a job, and 2 years of applying without even getting an interview.

At the moment I've lost my enthusiasm for making new pieces, I honestly don't know which way to go, everyone in the area I talk to says that my work has a lot of quality, but on the other hand I haven't received positive feedback in years.
I would be very grateful if someone could point out the error and help me find a direction!

https://www.artstation.com/ryonvieira

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    *not a character artist*

I'm going to point out a few things which stand out atm.
    Merlin: Roughness values need work. Poly distribution is a little weird (beard seems to have way too many polygons, or the rest of him seems to few). Cloth looks a bit funny.
    Boar and Dr Strange have hair which is way too thick. Dr Strange hair thickness vs beard hair thickness is really different.
    Tulio: Anatomy and clothes seem quite basic , this model looks a bit amateur.
    Horse: Saddle textures could use a lot of work.
    Steve: Lighting makes him look like he's sun burnt. Clothing needs work.

You're a good artist, but each one of your pieces needs to be taken to another level. You can do it, it would just take an extra couple of weeks than you're putting in at the moment.

One other thing is your presentation is heavily lacking, it doesn't have appeal. Check out these renders (Julie Marks, Dan Eder, Yan Sculpts)
    Look at how interesting the colour palettes, posting, lighting, and framing are.

You should keep going, you're doing a great job. Just try and take your art to that next level (and never stop trying).
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i think that the shapes and proportions are pretty good but its largely let down by the surfacing. Everything has a kind of plastic feeling to it regardless of the material it is (e.g. leather versus skin versus fur versus fabric)

agree with ashervisialis take as well, presentation is worth a lot. 

I dont see any reason why you couldn't make artwork as good as those examples posted above, it will just be a matter of taking a single character and focusing more intensely on it for a few weeks and trying to get as much specific feedback on that piece from pros as you can. 

besides the art itself I think you are fighting an uphill battle because even the really seasoned game devs are struggling to find work right now.

• Ryonvieira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    friends, I received some heavy feedback from a company 2 hours ago, honestly they made me change a lot of things, it was something very raw and I needed to read it.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me, and I agree with that, I really need to be careful when finishing my works, I think that when I finish the sculpture, I start rushing to finish the texture and render quickly, and I also think I'm going to migrate the area a bit, maybe go into props and scenery, I think characters are not something I was born to do!

• ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    I think what your going to find is that its a circular battle as most people in your situation have done the same tactic, only to discover props is just as hard because its a skill everyone can do and most people who can model will do it well. There's more jobs with props/environments, but also more competition that is also more skilled at it so it'll even out. Basically, everyone wants to be a modeler so you need to be a great one to get noticed. It also doesn't help that the game industry experienced massive layoffs and now for the few jobs that are posted, most of them want senior/lead guys. That means if you don't have any experience it will be even harder than normal. Its pretty much an uphill battle as @Alex_J said.

That said if you do decide to axe 3D but want to stick with doing something creative, there are tons of other options out there to try out.
  • chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13
    your art look amazing, but yes games industry is in sheet now
    there is a place that offers courses to continue your learning